VW Golf R32 Forum banner

Cold air feed to Forge Carbon kit?

Tags
forge
3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Wacko 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, the question is if this is beneficial to add this somehow to add additional air flow feed and then if it is, how is this achieved?

I believe someone on here has done it as I have seen the garage photo but can't work out how and where to do it as the intake pipe is metal and the enclosure itself is obviously carbon.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Not sure you can with the Forge one as its a ram style kit. Also I'm pretty sure its not carbon fibre either. Just a wrap over some other material.

I've found with my previous intakes that it makes a difference adding a feed. Tried it with an EVOMs first and had a 2.5 inch feed up to it and now got a 4 inch feed up to my Gruppe M. Both made differences with times, but the difference can't be felt massively whilst driving.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
What sort of T-piece do you mean?

#6 ·
Where did you get the hose, connection & clips?

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Searched for cold air feed pipe or something? 0.5m?

#10 ·
I don't suppose you get the clips to hold it onto the airbox with this do you as well?

#12 ·
Thanks Pal.

#13 ·
I just put the forge kit on yesterday;

Could you come off the plastic sucker kit that replaces the original part on the grill and drop a hose down to the lower passenger grill?

Would this make a noticeable difference from the forge kit as it stands?

Since fitting I feel the car is more eager and responsive, especially in drive mode. Also a bit of a deeper growl?

Attachments

#14 ·
The Forge is proven to create a deeper engine intake noise, not as much as the EVOMs, but more than the standard airbox.

Generally increased airflow rates have been identified as well.

I asked Awesome GTI and they said yes any additional air feed is always beneficial as it creates more cold air into the throttle body, but it depends on how far you want to go.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah I thought that, I can't see where you would put the additional feed without cutting into the actual circular box itself :S.

#17 ·
ad_182_uk said:
After looking at that pic of the forge my t-piece idea would be no good.
Yeah I thought that, not enough hoze between the filter and the plastic?

I recon the only way is to go through the plastic intake or modify by shortening the pipe after the filter before the sensor?

Ps. Turned the hose round today so the "forge" names are all facing the same way and fitted coil covers......

Attachments

#18 ·
You'll be wasting you time and money adding any additional air feeds to the Forge kit.

If you measure the cross sectional area of the ram scoop it is larger than the inlet to the filter. As a result, when the car is on the move, there is positive air pressure forcing air into the filter 'can'. A ram effect if you will. From my testing, this is easily enough to supply my 'stage 2' Mk5 with with enough (cold) air to make the require AFRs.
If you add an additional feed, you could cancel out some of this ram effect as one feed will be providing greater air pressure than the other. If the original Forge scoop has the higher air pressure, it will force air down the additional scoop, reducing the air pressure entering the filter 'can'.
Again, from testing, the only really worthwhile mods are to wrap the MAF in heat reflective tape, to reduce heat soak. And to make sure you fit the Forge inlet scoop to maximise air flow through it from the car's grille. I had thought about removing some of the vertical bars in the grille but, with the cost of a replacement in mind, I decided against it. This would help increase air flow and this air pressure through the filter though.

Paul

#19 ·
I had thought about removing some of the vertical bars in the grille but, with the cost of a replacement in mind, I decided against it. This would help increase air flow and this air pressure through the filter though.

Paul
Why did you decide against this as this is a very easy mod?

#21 ·
Ah ok. I'm not worried about other buyers, no one else is going to own my car.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ah ok. I'm not worried about other buyers, no one else is going to own my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.