Photo
- - - - -

TRD (RUF) Supercharger conversion - any reason why not?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

BenH

BenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Having been looking at a Mk7 GTI or R to replace my Mk5 R32, I've now switched to looking seriously into upgrading my existing car instead. Why have a bog standard hot hatch, when for less money I can have a custom? :D

TRD are close to where I live and I've been researching their supercharger options, based on an RUF kit. It looks like they've done half a dozen or so V6 supercharger conversions just in the last year, based on their Facebook page.

To quote from their e-mail:

Stage 1 takes 4 days to install, no engine modifications are needed but we recommend a Milltek cat back exhaust system and better front brake pads. The kit includes everything needed; belts, cold intake air filter system, silicone hoses, diverter valve, spark plugs, injectors, pulleys, poly engine mount, ecu upgrade, nuts and bolts. Cylinder head removal is not necessary on our kit, unlike other supercharger kits and turbo conversions. Because the charger itself generates no heat and being mounted on the gearbox, it does not suffer from heat soak, for example, if it was mounted to the head or block. The aircon system is still retained and not affected by the install. The kit is suitable for Manual or DSG configuration and fits left or right hand drive cars.

The supercharger is driven off the auxiliary belt and across the engine via an alloy propshaft under the intake manifold. There is no need for a separate, cooled oil supply as it has its own oil lubrication system. The high efficiency RSC compressor spools with a speed of about 36,000 rpm giving a boost pressure of 0.5bar and a performance increase of up to 100bhp. Stage 2/3 takes 7 days to complete, it comes with a water to air PWR charge cooler and additional charger modification up to 0.8bar, that increases the performance of the base engine up to 400bhp. Each installation has a custom engine map to match the setup, with a dyno run and printout. With over 80kits sold and tested throughout Europe, this system is a very reliable and adds the performance that the 3.2 engine lacks. We only install the supercharger conversion here in our workshop and not sold as a DIY kit. The supercharger has a 12month warrantee excluding rubber belts.

Stage 1 350bhp
Stage 2 375bhp
Stage 3 400bhp

I'm looking for reliability, subtlety and driveability as my main priorities. My R32 isn't used daily, but it is our only car - and I don't have a lot of time to try out different options (busy job).

I'd probably go for Stage 1 and add a Milltek backbox, brake pads and Bilstein B14s at the same time.

Any reasons not to go with this?

• suuuwiiiarmy, Lizasnaft and !ImWritercergo like this

Wrexad02

Wrexad02

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBristol
Mine is being done by him in 4 weeks, Ive gone for Stage 3, Where you live? you can come see it after its done if you like and drive mine see what you think!

BenH

BenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I'm in Bristol!

That's a very kind offer. I could afford Stage 3, but considering it's the family car I thought I'd be ok with 350 ponies...

Wrexad02

Wrexad02

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBristol
I'll pm you!

Dazm

Dazm

Senior Onion collector

• Regional Event Coordinator
  • 4,512 posts
You'll never see 400bhp from a VF/RUF/Carlicious charger there all the same & about 15 years out of date!

Rotrex is the best option or a HGP/HPA turbo kit
  • MJVR6 likes this

Wrexad02

Wrexad02

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBristol

You'll never see 400bhp from a VF/RUF/Carlicious charger there all the same & about 15 years out of date!

Rotrex is the best option or a HGP/HPA turbo kit

Turbo kit for me was out the question because of the way the power comes in meaning clutches ect had to be played with... But as for the RUF vs Rotrex chargers why would you say the Rotrex is better? Is it because you can push it past 400? And have a little more headroom where with the RUF supercharger you are stuck at what it gives?

Tejinder

Tejinder

Loyal Member

• 1,307 posts
I haven't seen a 400bhp one yet, the most I've seen is 380 and that guy had cams too. Will be interesting to see what figures Lee's makes on the same dyno as a few others so it isn't biased. Look forward to going out in yours Lee :good:
HPA Turbo

Posted Image

My Build Thread

golfather

golfather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Interested in this too, but from the plots Ive seen, never makes the quoted power

Dazm

Dazm

Senior Onion collector

• 4,512 posts
VF 36,000 RPM's
Rotrex 110,00 RPM's

You don't see Konisegg using VF chargers ;)

BenH

BenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I'm not chasing big power figures - even if it's closer to 300, that's fine. I want something in keeping with the V6's character too.

Wrexad02

Wrexad02

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBristol
Tbh i went to something i was limited at.. (sounds silly) but if i put a turbo in ect and there was power to be had i would want it and spend everything i got to get it! lol So for me i'm happy with what i picked! But if i wanted headroom ect and was chasing big numbers i would of went Rotrex or even Turbo... but most likely turbo

Yeah no doubt Tej once its all done we should go dyno both our cars somewhere!
  • Tejinder likes this

Dazm

Dazm

Senior Onion collector

• 4,512 posts
FI isn't worth doing for an extra 100bhp.......

Look out for a 2nd hand HPA/HGP turbo kit, proven results & bulletproof

Do you really want an alloy bar spinning at high speeds right at the front of the car? VF chargers or RUF/Carlicious are all the same, unreliable & oil seals fail on a regular basis never mind belt slippage
  • Tejinder likes this

Wrexad02

Wrexad02

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBristol
Im sure belt slippage is somewhat a problem of the past? As they changed the belt compound to stop that?

But the way i look at it is if it doesn't play ball and starts playing up i know i can take it back to where i got it! As for the bar spinning no i dont really mind that? Why is it a problem? My prop shaft spins that doesn't worry me.

Wrexad02

Wrexad02

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBristol

I haven't seen a 400bhp one yet, the most I've seen is 380 and that guy had cams too. Will be interesting to see what figures Lee's makes on the same dyno as a few others so it isn't biased. Look forward to going out in yours Lee :good:

Indeed Tej! After what fren said i can only imagine the beast you have created lol once its all done we can meet up somewhere ;)
  • Tejinder likes this

Dazm

Dazm

Senior Onion collector

• 4,512 posts
How does a belt compound change aid belt slippage lol?

You can't touch your prop shaft & even at idle the bar will still be spinning at high RPM's, what about if you have an accident? Has the kit been tested to see what happens? Doubt it........

Wrexad02

Wrexad02

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBristol
If someone wants to stick their hands onto a spinning bar i say let them carry on.. if your that dense in day to day life you deserve all you get imo. Its no different to sticking your hands onto a drive belt is it but that's not covered up?

As for the belt i have spoken to many people running the kit and they say that new belts sorted that and belt tension had to be set correctly.

I understand you used to run a Rotrex supercharger and loved it, i understand what its like i'm the same with computer parts one being i stay away from AMD stuff! But i dont see the RUF kit being that bad you just favour the Rotrex kit.
  • Lucifer likes this

Joshk

Joshk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

How does a belt compound change aid belt slippage lol?

Softer compound possibly? More grip. Same as tyres I supposed.

AshtonR32

AshtonR32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationCambridge
Interested to do this as well. Spoken to both TRD and Storm who can supercharge and both have quoted around £9000 for around 400hp (added pinch of salt)

My only concern is the reliability as i don't want to create a money pit.

Interested to hear all pros and cons

Mk5 5 door DBP
KW V2 Coilovers
H&R ARBS
Evoms

Custom Manifolds and Decat with custom exhaust

5c6f9510-c6d5-4cdf-be1a-3a340fc164b0_zps

CJsav

CJsav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire
£9k for S/C! Tej hasnt got that much more in his turbo install, know what I would prefer. S/C needs to be a lot cheaper than turbo or whats the point?

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Loyal Member

• 4,468 posts
I must admit I nearly choked on my coffee when I saw £9k for 400hp.You could sell up and buy a lovely RS4 for that !! Storm were offering 400hp SC for £7.5k not long ago, plus an entry level 350hp Rotrex kit for around £5k. Not sure what the stated £9k includes though.

Gaz Jones is putting a turbo kit together for around £7k all in for 480hp. Although it may be for mk4, not sure.
  • mattdub and KrashTest like this

James
6ef5ae1b-733e-4a7e-ba6e-6cc31ab53894_zps

GENUINE VCDS HEX CAN - VAG TACHO - VDS PRO - SCANS & DIAGNOSTICS, DATA LOGGING, DSG GEARBOX CALIBRATION, CODING, CRUISE CONTROL ETC. CAN DO MILES TO EMPTY, LIT NEEDLES & GAUGES, REAL TIME TEMP GAUGE, AUTO WINDOWS FROM FOB. West Yorkshire.

BenH

BenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
TRD's pricing is £5.5k for the Stage 1 supercharger conversion.

What I'm attracted by is that they seem to have done a good number already - it's not the most powerful, technologically advanced or cheapest solution, but it is a tried and tested package. A bit like the R32 in general really!

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Loyal Member

• 4,468 posts

TRD's pricing is £5.5k for the Stage 1 supercharger conversion.

Stage 1 SC is an extra 50hp, taking a stock car to around 300hp. Thats a lot of money for just 50hp. The DTM kit offers 350hp and torque for the same money or less.
  • alexmac likes this

James

GENUINE VCDS HEX CAN - VAG TACHO - VDS PRO - SCANS & DIAGNOSTICS, DATA LOGGING, DSG GEARBOX CALIBRATION, CODING, CRUISE CONTROL ETC. CAN DO MILES TO EMPTY, LIT NEEDLES & GAUGES, REAL TIME TEMP GAUGE, AUTO WINDOWS FROM FOB. West Yorkshire.

BenH

BenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Well, for better or worse...I've taken a leap of faith and have put a deposit down on a Stage 1 conversion - with cat-back Milltek, uprated brake pads and Bilstein B14 coilovers.

With 2 kids and a hectic job, I just don't have the time to take it to Bolton or somewhere else far-flung to get an unknown-quantity turbo conversion done!

My car will be coming in just as Wrexado's leaves the workshop.

KrashTest

KrashTest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Gaz Jones is putting a turbo kit together for around £7k all in for 480hp. Although it may be for mk4, not sure.

^^ This sounds good - any more info on his kit?

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Loyal Member

• 4,468 posts

^^ This sounds good - any more info on his kit?

Some pics of many of the parts on his Facebook. Search Gaz Jones Vag Auto Care. :)

James

KrashTest

KrashTest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Oh cool, I was there few weeks ago, got chains and some other stuff done. Will have a look a bit later when I'm at home

32 tom

32 tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSussex By The Sea
Well done, thought Bout same thing. Good luck hope it goes smooth. Crazy power would need many other parts sorting too. Please let everyone know how it goes.

32 tom

32 tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSussex By The Sea
PS my family is from Bolton lol.

FR05TTY

FR05TTY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationKent
Hi Guys , I thought I might reply to this post and especially the post from DAZM

Quote : You'll never see 400bhp from a VF/RUF/Carlicious charger there all the same & about 15 years out of date!
Rotrex is the best option or a HGP/HPA turbo kit.

I can 100% confirm that VF/RUF/Carlicious chargers are unbelievably reliable and are not 15 years out of date , the original design may be 15 years old but each year they are evolving and getting better and better. And as for not getting 400 bhp from one that is absolutely rubbish.
I drive the R32 which is shown on Carlicious website , it is fitted with a stage 3 Ruf supercharger and produces 432.7bhp and 460lb Eng Torque at 6600 RPM.
We fitted this setup at Carlicious workshops in Germany and mapped and Dyno tested it at Custom Chips in Durlangen in Germany, it has been driven every day now for 6 months with no problems at all and is ridiculously fast.
To answer the next comment :
Quote : Do you really want an alloy bar spinning at high speeds right at the front of the car? VF chargers or RUF/Carlicious are all the same, unreliable & oil seals fail on a regular basis never mind belt slippage.

Well I don't suffer with any belt slippage , I have had no failed oil seals , it has been 100% reliable and I really like the alloy bar spinning at high speeds at the front. As for having a front end shunt what difference does that make , if you have a shunt the front of the cars shagged anyway , no real damage will come to the supercharger it is a beautifully cast piece of aluminium and the alloy bar sits nicely and safely under the inlet manifold.
I have always been very wary of tuning companies fitting their own products and then using their own dyno's to show how good their products are , we all know how they massage their figures ! you know what I mean. Well Custom Chips are a completely different company to Carlicious and are 2/3 hours drive from Carlicious in Augsburg and are in my opinion very honest and professional. Having raced Motorbikes and cars for years I know a thing or two about speed and power , and yes I am biased , I have a garage/MOT/Tuning business in Kent and I have started fitting these Ruf superchargers now in the UK. And because I am just as much a disbeliever as ever body else , I got the car tested on an unbiased Dyno here in the UK.
My car recorded 432.7bhp on a 4 wheel drive Superflow WinDyn dyno at custom chips in Durlangen and 439.6bhp on a 4 wheel drive Dyno Dynamics dyno in the UK.
TRD fit the same Ruf/Carlicious superchargers as I do and deal with the same people as I do , so I think they can be trusted also.
The only difference I do that they don't , is I change the Fuel pump in the petrol tank to a high performance 500bhp pump and change the MAF to a RS4 MAF because the standard R32 MAF is too restrictive as is the standard exhaust , so I am running a full Miltek exhaust with their 6 pipe tuned manifold and No Cats.
The engine is completely stock other than what I have mentioned , No head spacers nothing , fuel consumption is about 23 mpg driving normally and bloody lot less when driven hard , but hey who's worrying about that , it’s a hot hatch isn't it.
Shall be taking it to Brands Hatch in the spring to do a couple of track days and see how much better the laps times are compared to before when it was standard.
Price will always be an issue , because getting lots more power is only possible when you spend lots more money. If you go and buy a 500bhp RS4 which are amazing how long do you think it would be once you are used to it before you start thinking of getting more power ?
We all want more power , I also run a MK 2 Golf gti which I stuck a VR6 lump in , after a while I got bored and fitted a 150bhp Nitrous set up to it , it's running over 400bhp and it's front wheel drive ! MAD , where do we stop , Never.
No disrespect intended to you DAZM just don't agree with your comments , Rotrex are very good but so are RUF , and as I said I know cause I running one.
  • DougalR, Lucifer, BLACKMK4SUPERCHARGE and 5 others like this

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Loyal Member

• 4,468 posts
Thanks for taking the time to contribute Fro5tty. It's always good to hear information and opinion from actual owners\users.

The 23mpg for normal driving would be a problem for me in my daily LOL ! Is that for round town urban?, if so what does a gentle 70 mph on motorway get?

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users