Photo
- - - - -

TRD (RUF) Supercharger conversion - any reason why not?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

FR05TTY

FR05TTY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationKent
Hi Mate

23 mpg is my normal driving , but what is normal , I drive about 20 miles to work and back from Shorne in Kent to Erith in South East London.
I have done at test driving at 70mph on the motorways and sensible speeds on the normal roads and I can get it up nearer the 30mpg.
But driving at normal speeds when you have got 432 ggs under the bonnet and that lovely soft whining noise from the charger is pretty dam impossible. Going to be doing some timed 0 to 60 mph starts soon , be interesting to see what we get , expecting with that amount of power something in the low 5s , but mine's a manual so will have to be careful we don't burn out the clutch. That will be the next thing to fit a high performance clutch kit. The cars In the workshop next week to fit 380mm drilled front discs and 6 pot Porshe Brembo calipers , they are needed now because stopping from 150/160 mph takes a tad longer than it did before , you know what I mean , should stop now like its got air brakes lol.

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Loyal Member

• Regional Event Coordinator
  • 4,468 posts

Hi Mate

23 mpg is my normal driving , but what is normal , I drive about 20 miles to work and back from Shorne in Kent to Erith in South East London.
I have done at test driving at 70mph on the motorways and sensible speeds on the normal roads and I can get it up nearer the 30mpg.

Ah that sounds better. I appreciate that when pushing it will drink fuel. Those figures are pretty much what I get on mine at the moment for normal driving.
  • WT007 likes this

James
6ef5ae1b-733e-4a7e-ba6e-6cc31ab53894_zps

GENUINE VCDS HEX CAN - VAG TACHO - VDS PRO - SCANS & DIAGNOSTICS, DATA LOGGING, DSG GEARBOX CALIBRATION, CODING, CRUISE CONTROL ETC. CAN DO MILES TO EMPTY, LIT NEEDLES & GAUGES, REAL TIME TEMP GAUGE, AUTO WINDOWS FROM FOB. West Yorkshire.

Wrexad02

Wrexad02

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • LocationBristol

Stage 1 SC is an extra 50hp, taking a stock car to around 300hp. Thats a lot of money for just 50hp. The DTM kit offers 350hp and torque for the same money or less.

TRD Stage 1 is +100BHP.

Thanks for the reply Fro5tty its nice to hear from someone running one! As for the money i think any FI kit is a lot of money and people doing it must have a screw loose! like myself :) But i don't look at it as i could sale my car and get an RS4 its a 5 door family waggon, my mate got a 57 plate one and its boring to drive imo and i like the fact a SC/Turbo R32 is unique. But each to their own eh.

I was told by Dan i could take it to 425ish BHP with a few extra parts but as i have DSG he said you then get close to running the gearbox at its max output so im keeping it at 400. This is where when you look at a turbo at 480BHP its not just a turbo your then looking at a gearbox upgrade to handle the power that's when the money starts to run away. As for a manual i think they can take a little more?

golfather

golfather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Charge an RS4 ;)

• mattdub likes this

golfather

golfather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Max Ive seen a Stage 1 is around 300bhp with some aweful mapping
They just run too hot. Needs a cooler at the very minimum.

FR05TTY

FR05TTY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationKent
Hi Guys

If you are thinking of going down the Supercharger route you definitely need in my opinion to have an Air to Water cooling system with a big intercooler , my temperature gauge never go's above half way it never did before though. I have run my water cooling system to the intercooler totally separately so it does not interfere with the engine cooling system. I am having no temperature problems at all even when driven at 170mph coming back from Germany.

BenH

BenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Thanks Fro5tty: this makes for helpful, reassuring and interesting reading. It's a bit of a boyhood dream to own something like what I've now got planned. I had a very highly-tuned Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo about 10 years ago, so I know about the importance of cooling.

I'm probably quite different from most potentialy FI R32 owners now though, in that I barely drive my stock car at full potential - let alone what any stage of supercharged tune will give me. For 50% of its journeys, my wife will be driving the around town! For much of the rest, it will be with our 2 kids in the back. I won't ever go anywhere near 170mph - and I'm sure you all think I'm mad!

What I do find appealing, however, is easy performance, the "experience" and the chance to make a great car to my spec. You just can't do that when you buy an off-the-shelf car.

AshtonR32

AshtonR32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Hi Guys

If you are thinking of going down the Supercharger route you definitely need in my opinion to have an Air to Water cooling system with a big intercooler , my temperature gauge never go's above half way it never did before though. I have run my water cooling system to the intercooler totally separately so it does not interfere with the engine cooling system. I am having no temperature problems at all even when driven at 170mph coming back from Germany.

Good to hear some positive news as I'm after creating something special without breaking it.

Heading to the nurburgring in June so will love to see done of the guys cars before i take the plunge

Mk5 5 door DBP
KW V2 Coilovers
H&R ARBS
Evoms

Custom Manifolds and Decat with custom exhaust

5c6f9510-c6d5-4cdf-be1a-3a340fc164b0_zps

Paulmo89

Paulmo89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationInverness
If you dont mind me asking how much are TRD quoting to do the conversion?

Always fancied supercharging my MK5 but living in the Scottish Highlands its very difficult to find a reputable tuner that can carry out this sort of conversion.

I am in the same boat as you with getting itchy feet to move onto something different but i cant fault my MK5 it just does everything you need it to so well its a great all rounder in my opinion. I just fancy owning a FI R32.

Ill be keeping an eye on this thread as i could potentially take the plunge and go FI also.
13-14 2004 MKIV, custom catback exhaust, more mods to come

14-Now 2007 MKV, DBP, NON Res Milltek, Gunmetal grey zolders, Pipercross panel filter, private plate, more to come....

BenH

BenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
PaulM089: you're looking at £5.5k for a drive-in-drive-out Stage 1, including all the bits you'd sensibly need (e.g. uprated lower engine mount etc). I will be having a Milltek cat-back and uprated brake pads, which add another £850 or so.

Stage 2 & 3 appear to be about cooling, which allow for higher boost - an additional £2-3.5k depending on how far you go.

I will personally budget a little extra for anything that they find needs replacing while they have the car in bits. I'm also having suspension uprated at a cost of another £1k. So, it's looking like £7.3k (plus contingency) for what I want.

Compared to a Mk7 GTI bought on PCP, the upfront and day-to-day costs will be greater. However, whereas with a GTI I'd end the 3 years with nothing, with a supercharged R32 I will actually own the car.

DougalR

DougalR

South East Organiser

• 6,694 posts
  • LocationKent, near Canterbury
RUF kits are assembled by Germans...Course it will be reliable.
Its nice to see a Kit for mk5 that doesn't that doesn't cost 12 million pounds granted it might not be 500hp
then again if you are looking for that number and want a 3 something hp for now why spend more than you need to.
RUF have appeared to fill a gap here in the mk5 market IMO.

famfound.jpg

May the boost be with you

.:Rotrex powered sleeper...well sort of.... :)

You can only plan so far.....After that, well you have to take a few leaps of faith.......

Tejinder

Tejinder

Loyal Member

• 1,307 posts

PaulM089: you're looking at £5.5k for a drive-in-drive-out Stage 1, including all the bits you'd sensibly need (e.g. uprated lower engine mount etc). I will be having a Milltek cat-back and uprated brake pads, which add another £850 or so.

Stage 2 & 3 appear to be about cooling, which allow for higher boost - an additional £2-3.5k depending on how far you go.

I will personally budget a little extra for anything that they find needs replacing while they have the car in bits. I'm also having suspension uprated at a cost of another £1k. So, it's looking like £7.3k (plus contingency) for what I want.

Compared to a Mk7 GTI bought on PCP, the upfront and day-to-day costs will be greater. However, whereas with a GTI I'd end the 3 years with nothing, with a supercharged R32 I will actually own the car.

Uprated mounts are cheap. I got a HPA dog bone mount and filled my OEM mounts with windscreen sealant. Milltek catback and pads for £850!? Milltek catbacks are £470 and I'm pretty sure pads aren't £380...

Which suspension did you opt for? ARB's and coilovers? If so, which ones?

I'm not here to comment about how good the kit is etc because it doesn't matter what I say, just matters if you're happy or not.
  • creamycone likes this
HPA Turbo

Posted Image

My Build Thread

BenH

BenH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
The suspension kit will be Bilstein B14.

Paulmo89

Paulmo89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationInverness

Thanks for letting me know costs etc. Ill keep an eye out for your review on it after you have it all fitted and ran in etc and take it from there. The more the think about it the more i really fancy going down supercharger or turbo route.
13-14 2004 MKIV, custom catback exhaust, more mods to come

14-Now 2007 MKV, DBP, NON Res Milltek, Gunmetal grey zolders, Pipercross panel filter, private plate, more to come....

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
@BENH I don't think your mad at all. Still looking for my chariot but am already thinking in a year or two maybe going the blower route.

For me as well I like the 'ruggedness' of the R32. It's one of the things that convinced away from the M3 route.

I like strong torquey power delivered through the range so will be looking only at SC and not really to max it out (I must admit since being a child the whine from Mad Max films gives me goosebumps) and also not so much of a fan of the high revvy, change gear, change gear, change gear turbo experience.

Am now following the thread with interest and excitement to see how your build turns out.

Toffs

Toffs

.:R32OC Parking Attendant

• .:R32OC Contributor
  • 4,012 posts
TRD are with out doubt the best garage I've ever come across (and I'm fussy!).

I like strong torquey power delivered through the range so will be looking only at SC and not really to max it out (I must admit since being a child the whine from Mad Max films gives me goosebumps) and also not so much of a fan of the high revvy, change gear, change gear, change gear turbo experience.

May I politely disagree with some points here. Over the years I have either driven or been a passenger in a fair few R32 FI'd cars. Even big SC ones don't really have the torque you're describing. Purpose built supercharged engines and aftermarket SC's for the R32 block are very different.

I run a smaller turbo (GT30) but with stock intake manifold. The resulting torque that I get at low rev's to 6K is like a train. Whilst the end 'peak bhp' result is less than others might boast, the usable power and enjoyment with so much continuous torque is, in my view, much greater. Sure it lessons off after 6K, but with the longer gears I run this isn't an issue - hardly have to bother changing gear if I want to overtake something (almost like a tuned diesel in that respects).

Downside is it eats gearboxes. I'm now trying a hybrid of my longer final drives/Peloquin LSD with Bora 4Mo DRP cogs to see if this can cope.

Food for thought.

T :)
  • inactive likes this
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Posted Image
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

FR05TTY

FR05TTY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationKent
Hi Toffs

Interesting comments , sounds like you have got a very nice car.
Supercharging or Turbo charging it’s just individual choice really both are great , SC is just easier to install and set up in my opinion and goes wrong less often , but again just my opinion.
I am taking my blown R32 down to Bluewater this Sunday for the club meet , it will be my first visit and hopefully not my last , anybodies welcome to come have a look and if your good I will take you for a spin.

Frosty

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

TRD are with out doubt the best garage I've ever come across (and I'm fussy!).

May I politely disagree with some points here. Over the years I have either driven or been a passenger in a fair few R32 FI'd cars. Even big SC ones don't really have the torque you're describing. Purpose built supercharged engines and aftermarket SC's for the R32 block are very different.

I run a smaller turbo (GT30) but with stock intake manifold. The resulting torque that I get at low rev's to 6K is like a train. Whilst the end 'peak bhp' result is less than others might boast, the usable power and enjoyment with so much continuous torque is, in my view, much greater. Sure it lessons off after 6K, but with the longer gears I run this isn't an issue - hardly have to bother changing gear if I want to overtake something (almost like a tuned diesel in that respects).

Downside is it eats gearboxes. I'm now trying a hybrid of my longer final drives/Peloquin LSD with Bora 4Mo DRP cogs to see if this can cope.

Food for thought.

T :)

You sure can, interesting stuff!

Toffs

Toffs

.:R32OC Parking Attendant

• .:R32OC Contributor
  • 4,012 posts

Hi Toffs

Interesting comments , sounds like you have got a very nice car.
Supercharging or Turbo charging it’s just individual choice really both are great , SC is just easier to install and set up in my opinion and goes wrong less often , but again just my opinion.
I am taking my blown R32 down to Bluewater this Sunday for the club meet , it will be my first visit and hopefully not my last , anybodies welcome to come have a look and if your good I will take you for a spin.

Frosty

Good times. Yes SC's on the whole are less complicated and a good install can be near bullet proof.
Saying that, HPA have really gone to the 'next level' it would seem in terms of quality and reliability (HGP/HPA have nearly always been good in this area anyway). Not been in a 'new gen' HPA turbo yet - looking forward to seeing how UK peeps get on with the DTM kits.

Meets are great - I must get to some (haven't been for a few years) !
Posted Image

horatio

horatio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Anyone in the London area got a mk5 SC who wouldnt mind taking me for a joy ride???? Am still thinking but need a push!

Edited by horatio, 11 November 2015 - 10:30 PM.

FR05TTY

FR05TTY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationKent
Hi Horatio

Come down to the Kent meet at Bluewater on the 13/12/2015 and I will show you a proper MK5 RUF Supercharged R32 and if you are lucky I wiil take you for a spin.
P.S try not to listen to all the bullshit that's on here from certain members about RUF chargers and Carlious , take it from me they are both excellent and my RUF SC car was last Dyno'd at 438.9 bhp.
I have just returned from Germany last week where I acheived a 175mph reading on the clocks , ofcourse it was an Autobahn where there is no speed limit , but to be honest I was a little bit disappointed the last time I was there I managed to get it just of the clock at 180mph albeit it was down a nice long gentle slope , but this time I just coundn't seem to get the right weather ( to much snow ) or enough open road.
Anyway come along to our meet , there are 3 or 4 really nice charged 32's as well as some really Tasty R32's in various forms of tune.

Frosty
  • BLACKMK4SUPERCHARGE likes this

horatio

horatio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Will definately make the effort to attend this one!

Hi Horatio

Come down to the Kent meet at Bluewater on the 13/12/2015 and I will show you a proper MK5 RUF Supercharged R32 and if you are lucky I wiil take you for a spin.
P.S try not to listen to all the bullshit that's on here from certain members about RUF chargers and Carlious , take it from me they are both excellent and my RUF SC car was last Dyno'd at 438.9 bhp.
I have just returned from Germany last week where I acheived a 175mph reading on the clocks , ofcourse it was an Autobahn where there is no speed limit , but to be honest I was a little bit disappointed the last time I was there I managed to get it just of the clock at 180mph albeit it was down a nice long gentle slope , but this time I just coundn't seem to get the right weather ( to much snow ) or enough open road.
Anyway come along to our meet , there are 3 or 4 really nice charged 32's as well as some really Tasty R32's in various forms of tune.

Frosty

AshtonR32

AshtonR32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationCambridge
My car ar is on 48k but is a weekend car so not stuck in stop start traffic, it's done a few runs at Santa Pod but other than that it's looked after fairly well. Would it be sensible to fit a new clutch/DMF whilst my car is in having stage 1 or 2 done?

Mk5 5 door DBP
KW V2 Coilovers
H&R ARBS
Evoms

Tejinder

Tejinder

Loyal Member

• 1,307 posts
If Kent wasn't so far away from me I'd come and have a nose. Sounds like they'll be some nice motors there
HPA Turbo

Posted Image

My Build Thread

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 6,662 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon

My car ar is on 48k but is a weekend car so not stuck in stop start traffic, it's done a few runs at Santa Pod but other than that it's looked after fairly well. Would it be sensible to fit a new clutch/DMF whilst my car is in having stage 1 or 2 done?

Nope. The standard clutch will be fine for any SC set up you go for.

715 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

AshtonR32

AshtonR32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Nope. The standard clutch will be fine for any SC set up you go for.

Thanks for the reassurance, just had a slight nagging worry about it.

Mk5 5 door DBP
KW V2 Coilovers
H&R ARBS
Evoms

stephens0n

stephens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
what does the 0-60 realistically go to with a stage 1 supercharger at around 350bhp?

matsu

matsu

• Members
  • 780 posts
Frosty, I need to keep away from you at the blue water meet for the sake of my bank balance and my marriage
See you all there!

Matsu

Ttwo

Ttwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
How come no one has mentioned MRC tuning in Banbury?? They won loads of awards and have some crazy cars

Golfguy1983

Golfguy1983

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1,066 posts
I've been in a mrk4 on hear with a Hpa dtm kit with 350/350 and it's well worth ever penny the kit looks great and it drives so well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users