Photo
- - - - -

TRD (RUF) Supercharger conversion - any reason why not?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Robert1657

Robert1657

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Hi Guys , I thought I might reply to this post and especially the post from DAZM

Quote : You'll never see 400bhp from a VF/RUF/Carlicious charger there all the same & about 15 years out of date!
Rotrex is the best option or a HGP/HPA turbo kit.

I can 100% confirm that VF/RUF/Carlicious chargers are unbelievably reliable and are not 15 years out of date , the original design may be 15 years old but each year they are evolving and getting better and better. And as for not getting 400 bhp from one that is absolutely rubbish.
I drive the R32 which is shown on Carlicious website , it is fitted with a stage 3 Ruf supercharger and produces 432.7bhp and 460lb Eng Torque at 6600 RPM.
We fitted this setup at Carlicious workshops in Germany and mapped and Dyno tested it at Custom Chips in Durlangen in Germany, it has been driven every day now for 6 months with no problems at all and is ridiculously fast.
To answer the next comment :
Quote : Do you really want an alloy bar spinning at high speeds right at the front of the car? VF chargers or RUF/Carlicious are all the same, unreliable & oil seals fail on a regular basis never mind belt slippage.

Well I don't suffer with any belt slippage , I have had no failed oil seals , it has been 100% reliable and I really like the alloy bar spinning at high speeds at the front. As for having a front end shunt what difference does that make , if you have a shunt the front of the cars shagged anyway , no real damage will come to the supercharger it is a beautifully cast piece of aluminium and the alloy bar sits nicely and safely under the inlet manifold.
I have always been very wary of tuning companies fitting their own products and then using their own dyno's to show how good their products are , we all know how they massage their figures ! you know what I mean. Well Custom Chips are a completely different company to Carlicious and are 2/3 hours drive from Carlicious in Augsburg and are in my opinion very honest and professional. Having raced Motorbikes and cars for years I know a thing or two about speed and power , and yes I am biased , I have a garage/MOT/Tuning business in Kent and I have started fitting these Ruf superchargers now in the UK. And because I am just as much a disbeliever as ever body else , I got the car tested on an unbiased Dyno here in the UK.
My car recorded 432.7bhp on a 4 wheel drive Superflow WinDyn dyno at custom chips in Durlangen and 439.6bhp on a 4 wheel drive Dyno Dynamics dyno in the UK.
TRD fit the same Ruf/Carlicious superchargers as I do and deal with the same people as I do , so I think they can be trusted also.
The only difference I do that they don't , is I change the Fuel pump in the petrol tank to a high performance 500bhp pump and change the MAF to a RS4 MAF because the standard R32 MAF is too restrictive as is the standard exhaust , so I am running a full Miltek exhaust with their 6 pipe tuned manifold and No Cats.
The engine is completely stock other than what I have mentioned , No head spacers nothing , fuel consumption is about 23 mpg driving normally and bloody lot less when driven hard , but hey who's worrying about that , it’s a hot hatch isn't it.
Shall be taking it to Brands Hatch in the spring to do a couple of track days and see how much better the laps times are compared to before when it was standard.
Price will always be an issue , because getting lots more power is only possible when you spend lots more money. If you go and buy a 500bhp RS4 which are amazing how long do you think it would be once you are used to it before you start thinking of getting more power ?
We all want more power , I also run a MK 2 Golf gti which I stuck a VR6 lump in , after a while I got bored and fitted a 150bhp Nitrous set up to it , it's running over 400bhp and it's front wheel drive ! MAD , where do we stop , Never.
No disrespect intended to you DAZM just don't agree with your comments , Rotrex are very good but so are RUF , and as I said I know cause I running one.

Spot on and to the point .

Smartercarper

Smartercarper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationKent

Hi Guys , I thought I might reply to this post and especially the post from DAZM

Quote : You'll never see 400bhp from a VF/RUF/Carlicious charger there all the same & about 15 years out of date!

I can 100% confirm that VF/RUF/Carlicious chargers are unbelievably reliable and are not 15 years out of date , the original design may be 15 years old but each year they are evolving and getting better and better. And as for not getting 400 bhp from one that is absolutely rubbish.
I drive the R32 which is shown on Carlicious website , it is fitted with a stage 3 Ruf supercharger and produces 432.7bhp and 460lb Eng Torque at 6600 RPM.
We fitted this setup at Carlicious workshops in Germany and mapped and Dyno tested it at Custom Chips in Durlangen in Germany, it has been driven every day now for 6 months with no problems at all and is ridiculously fast.
Quote : Do you really want an alloy bar spinning at high speeds right at the front of the car? VF chargers or RUF/Carlicious are all the same, unreliable & oil seals fail on a regular basis never mind belt slippage.

Well I don't suffer with any belt slippage , I have had no failed oil seals , it has been 100% reliable and I really like the alloy bar spinning at high speeds at the front. As for having a front end shunt what difference does that make , if you have a shunt the front of the cars shagged anyway , no real damage will come to the supercharger it is a beautifully cast piece of aluminium and the alloy bar sits nicely and safely under the inlet manifold.
I have always been very wary of tuning companies fitting their own products and then using their own dyno's to show how good their products are , we all know how they massage their figures ! you know what I mean. Well Custom Chips are a completely different company to Carlicious and are 2/3 hours drive from Carlicious in Augsburg and are in my opinion very honest and professional. Having raced Motorbikes and cars for years I know a thing or two about speed and power , and yes I am biased , I have a garage/MOT/Tuning business in Kent and I have started fitting these Ruf superchargers now in the UK. And because I am just as much a disbeliever as ever body else , I got the car tested on an unbiased Dyno here in the UK.
My car recorded 432.7bhp on a 4 wheel drive Superflow WinDyn dyno at custom chips in Durlangen and 439.6bhp on a 4 wheel drive Dyno Dynamics dyno in the UK.
TRD fit the same Ruf/Carlicious superchargers as I do and deal with the same people as I do , so I think they can be trusted also.
The only difference I do that they don't , is I change the Fuel pump in the petrol tank to a high performance 500bhp pump and change the MAF to a RS4 MAF because the standard R32 MAF is too restrictive as is the standard exhaust , so I am running a full Miltek exhaust with their 6 pipe tuned manifold and No Cats.
The engine is completely stock other than what I have mentioned , No head spacers nothing , fuel consumption is about 23 mpg driving normally and bloody lot less when driven hard , but hey who's worrying about that , it’s a hot hatch isn't it.
Shall be taking it to Brands Hatch in the spring to do a couple of track days and see how much better the laps times are compared to before when it was standard.
Price will always be an issue , because getting lots more power is only possible when you spend lots more money. If you go and buy a 500bhp RS4 which are amazing how long do you think it would be once you are used to it before you start thinking of getting more power ?
We all want more power , I also run a MK 2 Golf gti which I stuck a VR6 lump in , after a while I got bored and fitted a 150bhp Nitrous set up to it , it's running over 400bhp and it's front wheel drive ! MAD , where do we stop , Never.
No disrespect intended to you DAZM just don't agree with your comments , Rotrex are very good but so are RUF , and as I said I know cause I running one.

Smartercarper

Smartercarper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationKent
Hi fr05tty I'm based in Kent where abouts are you based may bring my r to you for work

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Bang on!

maxitrol

maxitrol

• Moderators
  • 1,560 posts
If ever am in the position of going s/c i will be getting in touch with trd
  • filbro likes this

FR05TTY

FR05TTY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationKent

Hi fr05tty I'm based in Kent where abouts are you based may bring my r to you for work

Hi Mate

I am sorry but I have now retired and sold my Garage business , I will be opening a little workshop at home and will do just tuning and power work in the new year.

Technics

Technics

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Dont want to hijack this im hoping its still linked enough to post here.

How do you go about or how much does it cost to get a VF charger rebuilt??? Any worth while upgrades to it whilst its being done?

Thanks, 

cj.dub

cj.dub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I can give many reasons ''why not''

IMG

IMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Care to elaborate? Not that it makes any difference to me directly but always interested to hear of people's experience with the difference FI kits available.

maxitrol

maxitrol

• Moderators
  • 1,560 posts
I would be interested as I've been looking at this kit

cj.dub

cj.dub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

tomorrow

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Really? Like to hear why...

H5R

H5R

• Members
  • 572 posts
Also very interested in why not, look forward to your reply :)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
  • MJVR6 likes this
DBP R32 - Gone is the show, now is the go!

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Ive had a VF9, Never experienced no problems for 3 years on my VR6...

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

tomorrow

??

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 17,514 posts
As everybody knows "tomorrow never comes..."
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

cj.dub

cj.dub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Sorry, I have decided not to divulge. Not worth the hassel for me

maxitrol

maxitrol

• Moderators
  • 1,560 posts
?

H5R

H5R

• Members
  • 572 posts
There's a number of people interested in buying this kit, me being one of them. If there is an issue etc I am sure we would all be grateful of some information?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
  • MJVR6 likes this
DBP R32 - Gone is the show, now is the go!

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Sorry, I have decided not to divulge. Not worth the hassel for me

Why state what you had said in the first place.
You obviously must have had some issue that never got resolved then......

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 17,514 posts
To put it into perspective the member has only posted 4 posts since joining in August and 3 of those posts are on this thread. I would have thought he would have contributed more if he had something to say on this or any other topic.

It's just sad that they deem it "too much hassle" to post what might be useful information to other members but that's there choice and have to respect it.

Edited by cuprabob, 22 March 2017 - 11:09 AM.

• MJVR6 likes this
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

mattdub

mattdub

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • LocationLake District / Birmingham
Loosely translated as...

"Got the kit, blew the kit up doing something stupid, tried to blame installer/tuner, now realised the OC populous is intelligent enough to realise this and pick holes in my very biased story"

Nothing wrong with any of the kits on the market, as long as they are run within their parameters.
  • MJVR6 likes this
VW Mk 4 R32 - C38-91 (in progress!) Rotrex Charged - Stealth Tuned - High Boost/WMI
VW Golf Mk 7 GTD

EWR32

EWR32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Morning Chaps,

Having been on here for a little while and owning a couple of Porsches and such other cars I am now back in my 3rd R32 which is the exact spec I was after and will be staying for what I hope a few years to come.

Anyway- having owned said faster cars and speaking with the guys at TRD (very helpful) I am sold on the stage 1 kit which is perfect for my everyday needs.

Questions I had - can anyone on here give me some real life, day-to-day experience on running this kit with the DSG gearbox? So far that is my only hesitation.

Thank you in advance,
Ed

mattdub

mattdub

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Day to day with the stage 1, I would imagine there is very little difference even with the DSG.

Other than the car is going to have more get up and go when you hit the gas. I would of thought the map on the DSG would make a more noticeable difference on daily driving :)

• MJVR6 likes this
VW Mk 4 R32 - C38-91 (in progress!) Rotrex Charged - Stealth Tuned - High Boost/WMI
VW Golf Mk 7 GTD

EWR32

EWR32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks Matt- I think like most the reliability is the biggest concern for me being my daily and living in London I just want to make sure it performs normally in stop start traffic (one of the reasons I went DSG)

But also when I do my summer trips down to Bordeaux....

To be fair I think I'm pretty sold

mattdub

mattdub

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

I'm led to believe the reliability is very good on them, obviously there aren't many people with them so its hard to get a real grasp on whether they are an appropriate daily.

From the accounts I have read and the understanding I have of the system they seem a very solid and reliable set up.

Again, can't see stop start being an issue, at the end of the day a charger runs off the crank aux pulley, if that's not spinning neither will the charger. Regardless of gearbox set up.

VW Golf Mk 7 GTD

filbro

filbro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hi Ed
I have the stg 1 TRD kit. The car is manual though, not DSG. I run the R32 as my daily and have had no issues at all.
Phil
Black Magic Pearl Mk5 R32, Recaros, Winter pack, H&R Springs, Milltek Cat-back, AMD remap, Simota Induction, Helios 19"

filbro

filbro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
send pm to Wrexad02 I think this chap ran the SC kit on DSG
Black Magic Pearl Mk5 R32, Recaros, Winter pack, H&R Springs, Milltek Cat-back, AMD remap, Simota Induction, Helios 19"

simonb

simonb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationOxford

Thanks Matt- I think like most the reliability is the biggest concern for me being my daily and living in London I just want to make sure it performs normally in stop start traffic (one of the reasons I went DSG)

But also when I do my summer trips down to Bordeaux....

To be fair I think I'm pretty sold

I had a stage 1 manual car, it was fine in stop start traffic but they do run hot as standard, so when you add a supercharger the heat build up is quite high. I took mine down to the South of France in 36C heat and it ran fine, but you need to consider the availability of Shell V Power as that is what they are mapped to run on (I was advised not to use anything else by TRD but carried some octane booster just in case) and not drive too hard for any length of time as stage 1 is not charge cooled so you need to consider engine temps.
Current:

2009,Full VWSH, RNS510, Kufatec Fiscon Bluetooth, Loudspeaker system, privacy glass, DSG, Parking sensors, Brembo discs with Ferrodo DS2500 pads, 2 owners. Drives spot on.

Previous:

Supercharged 372 BHP, Miltek, Ferodo ds2500 pads, bilstein b14, focal speakers, rear parking sensors, mk6 R brake retainer clips, mk6 digital radio and cd changer. New clutch, flywheel, chains and pistons. Sadly rear ended and cat D written off Aug 16 :(

EWR32

EWR32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thank you guys this has been really helpful!

My only real concern was the engine temps but I wouldn't be smashing the car around for amounts of time, only to have a little bit more grunt in the mid to upper as I feel that's where the Rs lack.

Most of the time it would be spent getting out of London to see my parents on the occasional weekend then of course the trips down to France.

I think stage 1 sounds like it ticks all the boxes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users