• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

luckyeddie

luckyeddie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Hi all, noticed last weekend when cleaning car that both rear wheelarches have got some blistering on the paint. I think these are the result of stonechips. It's a 53 reg mk4. I wondered if anyone knows VW's stance on paint warranty or if I'd be wasting my time.
Cheers

Womble

Womble

Site Signature Maker

• Moderators
  • 3238 posts
  • 4 Thanks
  • LocationNorth West
Garage View Garage
10 years guarantee on the bodywork mate, get in touch with them and have it sorted asap :top:

Posted Image

Non Resonated Milltek, Rear Aero Wiper, VW Delta Aux Adaper, Parrot CK3100

luckyeddie

luckyeddie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • 0 Thanks

The Womble said:

10 years guarantee on the bodywork mate, get in touch with them and have it sorted asap :top:

Thanks, I'll contact my local dealer on Monday and see what they say.

2004R32

2004R32

• Members
  • 1366 posts
  • 1 Thanks

The Womble said:

Yes but that`s usually only for defects etc..... stone chips aren't covered!

Riz :(
Golf GTI Performance Pack 2014

jasestead

jasestead

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • 0 Thanks
I think its a 10 year anti perforation warranty, so it would only cover it if it was a hole(rotten) through. It shouldn't be blistering, they are galvanized.

luckyeddie

luckyeddie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • 0 Thanks

jasestead said:

I think its a 10 year anti perforation warranty, so it would only cover it if it was a hole(rotten) through. It shouldn't be blistering, they are galvanized.

I know Audis are galv. Didn't think VWs were,

Toffs

Toffs

.:R32OC Parking Attendant

• .:R32OC Contributor
  • 3964 posts
  • 8 Thanks
Many VW's are galvanised: Golf + Passat (15 yrs?) etc.. not older Polo though (maybe newer ones are?).
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Posted Image
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Knobby

Knobby

.:R32OC Site Contributor

• 3200 posts
  • 0 Thanks
My Mk4 had started to rust around the tailgate handle...  Never thought about contacting VW about getting it sorted.
Posted Image

Thanks to Sam for Sig!

My Vdub History/R32 Build....

Womble

Womble

Site Signature Maker

• Moderators
  • 3238 posts
  • 4 Thanks
  • LocationNorth West
Garage View Garage
nope the golf is covered, i have a 10 year old MKIV and we were told that it was covered for "any type of rust" as its galvanized. whether thats changed over the years ? dont see why though

Posted Image

Non Resonated Milltek, Rear Aero Wiper, VW Delta Aux Adaper, Parrot CK3100

R32TYG

R32TYG

.:R32OC Site Contributor

• 2106 posts
  • 0 Thanks

luckyeddie said:

Hi all, noticed last weekend when cleaning car that both rear wheelarches have got some blistering on the paint. I think these are the result of stonechips. It's a 53 reg mk4. I wondered if anyone knows VW's stance on paint warranty or if I'd be wasting my time.
Cheers

Take it alone to a VW dealer and they will get someone to examine it, you might be lucky but dont hold your breath cause if they can riddle out of owning upto it being their fault they will.

You will find them blaming it on normal road use and stone chips.

Hope they sort it for you, you never know fingers crossed.
CheeRS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

blackpug

blackpug

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • 0 Thanks
I know this is an old thread but I noticed mine has some small blisters just in front of the rear wheelarches. Has anyone had this sorted by VW under the paintwork warranty?

Socco

Socco

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • 0 Thanks
I had my complete boot lid changed under warranty last month, 2003 R32 ;)
Gooner :top:

2003 DBP R32, On common as muck gloss black wheels ;), Klam 32 centre cap mod, induction kit, spacers, stubby ariel, R32OC stickers :D

MikeC

MikeC

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Blast from the past...I've got a paint blister appearing on my mk4 R32, it's along the bottom of the boot lid and was wondering if this is covered under warrenty?

Toffs

Toffs

• 3964 posts
  • 8 Thanks

MikeC said:

Blast from the past...I've got a paint blister appearing on my mk4 R32, it's along the bottom of the boot lid and was wondering if this is covered under warrenty?

Perhaps the best place to ask would be a VW dealership/bodyshop. Also, looking through your owners manual could help, as said above the Golf's come with a anti corrosion guarantee - but there are certain conditions that have to be met.

Edited by Toffs, 30 September 2010 - 09:32 PM.

Posted Image

MikeC

MikeC

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • 0 Thanks
I gave them a ring and they said that they'd need to see it so got it booked in for Tuesday morning. I've been having a good read up about this and it seems that quite a few others have had the same problem although on things like arches VW have said it's down to stone chips however as it's on the bottom of the boot there is no way they can claim stone chip damage on this one.

Also the paint has not burst yet either so it's definitely coming from behind the paint. With a bit of luck they'll replace it as it's really bugging me since I noticed!

Tristram

Tristram

• Members
  • 2046 posts
  • 2 Thanks
  • LocationStoke On Trent
Boot lid is a common problem on the MKIV, I just had my entire boot lid resprayed and my driver side rear arch.

What happens is water gets in behind the lock in the boot because the foam sealent they use can become porous, the water then drips down and corrodes the lid from the inside.

The wheel arches are indeed caused by stone chips, they basically break up the galvanisation and then water can get in behind the paint.

r32peg

r32peg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • 0 Thanks
ive noticed a line of rust on my mk4 along every door where the door rubbers brush bottom of door cills near chrome plates ??

MikeC

MikeC

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Have you got any pictures? Give VW a ring straight away and tell them about the problem and they'll look over it, you may be able to get some new doors!

r32peg

r32peg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • 0 Thanks
its not the doors the line of rust is along the chrome scuff plate ??

tinytim

tinytim

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • 0 Thanks
I was just about to start a new thread and found this great one!

I have recently removed my boot handle as the paint was blistering. VW told me it was not covered (3 year warranty only on handle)
So I removed it and got it resprayed myself, no problem I thought.

Came to fit it last night and inspected the tailgate closely and it is started to rust where the handle sits, looks like it has started from behind.
So usual case of water has got between the handle.

The Mk4 boot handle design is so poor. Reading through this thread it seems quite a few people have had a new tailgate on warranty.

I will be going to parkway VW first thing Saturday morning. Hopefully they won't try and fob me off.

tinytim

tinytim

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Well arrived and got them to look at it and they tried to tell me that in removing the handle I had damaged the paint work!!!

So how does that explain all the rust I thought.

Didn't give up and explained it's a design flaw and a ly people have had the same issue.
They then admitted it's a common problem, so I can't believe they tried to fob me off first.

Just shows if you just sit back and take their answer you won't get anywhere.

They took pics to send off and are going to get back to me.
Let's hope they honour the 12 body warranty.

MikeC

MikeC

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Fingers crossed for you mate! I'm taking mine in on Tuesday so if VW UK see two claims for rusted bootlids within a few days from different parts of the country they'll maybe realise that it is definitely a problem and they'll do something about it. Let me know how you get on and good luck!

Quattro Bajeena

Quattro Bajeena

• Members
  • 1999 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Garage View Garage
hey guys just wondering...
my friend she has a 52 plate polo...
her whole roof and bonnet it completely rusted....
it doesnt explain how it happend...but it's really bad....

how does this warrenty thing work? its a 52 plate vw polo

Edited by Quattro Bajeena, 03 October 2010 - 09:36 AM.

Never Owned : VOLKSWAGON GOLF MK4/MK5 R32

Previous Owner: VOLKSWAGON GOLF MK4 1.6 SE 109bhp
Previous Owner: VOLKSWAGON GOLF MK4 2.0 GTI 125bhp
Currently Owner:BMW  3SERIES E92 320d COUPE M SPORT HIGHLINE 210bhp

̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

Quattro Bajeena

Quattro Bajeena

• Members
  • 1999 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Garage View Garage
* randomly double post*

Edited by Quattro Bajeena, 03 October 2010 - 09:37 AM.

Never Owned : VOLKSWAGON GOLF MK4/MK5 R32

Previous Owner: VOLKSWAGON GOLF MK4 1.6 SE 109bhp
Previous Owner: VOLKSWAGON GOLF MK4 2.0 GTI 125bhp
Currently Owner:BMW  3SERIES E92 320d COUPE M SPORT HIGHLINE 210bhp

̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • 6 Thanks
  • LocationSolihull
Im pretty sure you need a full VW service history for the body warranty.

tinytim

tinytim

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • 0 Thanks
I also wondered if VW insisted on a full dealer service history. If so this is just a cop out and shocking service to try and get out of honouring the warranty. How can a service at a different garage cause my boot to go rusty. Crazy.

Beehive

Beehive

• Members
  • 2485 posts
  • 5 Thanks

Donator

Knobby said:

My Mk4 had started to rust around the tailgate handle...  Never thought about contacting VW about getting it sorted.
I have the same on my tailgate ..but the VW anti corrosion warranty only app
lies when corrosion actually comes through the bodywork..tbh its a bit of a grey area..which suits VW..
By the time it eventually shows through the warranty will have lapsed anyway..
I do remember a member on here who DID get a new tailgate under anti rust warranty on his mkiv..
but thats a rarity..

tinytim

tinytim

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Beehive said:

I have the same on my tailgate ..but the VW anti corrosion warranty only app
lies when corrosion actually comes through the bodywork..tbh its a bit of a grey area..which suits VW..
By the time it eventually shows through the warranty will have lapsed anyway..
I do remember a member on here who DID get a new tailgate under anti rust warranty on his mkiv..
but thats a rarity..

If it's just handle then no they aren't going to fix that under warranty.
But there are many people who's boot lid has actually started rusting. This is something they SHOULD fix under the anti corrosion warranty.

If your handle has corroded there is a good chance you boot lid has started to rust.
My handle had gone ad I didn't realise till I took it out the bot had also started to rust.

What happens is water gets behind the handle ad drops down and starts corroding.
Will take a while to show through.

MikeC

MikeC

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Well I popped into VW this morning the guy was really helpful, he came out and put a paint depth gauge on my car to check that the paintwork was original which he said it looked as though it was so no problems there. He took some pictures and said it shouldn't be a problem to get replaced and he'll send the pictures off and get back to me within a couple of weeks to let me know the outcome but he didn't think they'd have any problem doing it as you can quite clearly see that the rust has gone all the way through.

Fingers crossed and I'll keep you updated.

One other thing I wondered about is if they'll replace the spoiler or if they'll try to take my current one off? I can't see the current one coming off to be honest, it'll probably be a right hassle!

Edited by MikeC, 02 November 2010 - 09:52 AM.

Toffs

Toffs

• 3964 posts
  • 8 Thanks

MikeC said:

Well I popped into VW this morning the guy was really helpful, he came out and put a paint depth gauge on my car to check that the paintwork was original which he said it looked as though it was so no problems there. He took some pictures and said it shouldn't be a problem to get replaced and he'll send the pictures off and get back to me within a couple of weeks to let me know the outcome but he didn't think they'd have any problem doing it as you can quite clearly see that the rust has gone all the way through.

Fingers crossed and I'll keep you updated.

One other thing I wondered about is if they'll replace the spoiler or if they'll try to take my current one off? I can't see the current one coming off to be honest, it'll probably be a right hassle! If the claim goes through alright I might be cheeky and ask if I can keep the old boot lid, may be able to flog it on ebay for a few quid if the spoiler is still attached to it - they can only say no so might as well give it a go.

Don't think it will be a new bootlid, sorry.  The spoilers can be removed, but they are very tricky to do + it would be cheaper for them to hack the old spoiler off and fit a new sprayed one than get a whole new lid and spray that.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users