76 replies to this topic

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Is going Stage 2 on the R32 MKV worth the price? I am happy with how my car is at Stage 1 but I would be interested in some more poke but it looks like to Stage 2 is about £3k by the time you factor in installing costs. 

What are the expected gains over the Stage 1?

MKV R32 - Winter pack, Recaro leather "R" seats, RNS510, Milltek full system including Lucifer non-res pipe, K&N panel filter, Stage 2 map, H&R springs, Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2 in gloss anthracite, TRC lower splitter

MKIII GTI 8v - 100mm JOM Coilovers, Porsche Teledial Alloys, Powerflow Exhaust, Modified Intake, VR6 Leather Interior, Badgeless Grille, Smoked Indicators, Bonnet Bra, Anniversary VR6 "Big Chin" Splitter, Colour Coded Rear Spoiler, Kenwood Stereo, Pioneer Door Speakers

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 6,727 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon

No such thing as stage 1 -2 5 etc , it`s all just advertising bullshite .

What you thinking of having done and what have you got fitted at the moment . 

• G60Dub and flatlemon like this

715 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

Rawr_32

Rawr_32

Sausage Fingers

• Members
  • 3,476 posts
Diplomatic as ever Mike 😂

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I have a non-resonated milltek/lucifer cat back exhaust with K&N panel filter and map. Was looking at getting the sports manifold, sports cats and Forge induction kit but would need a new map.

MKV R32 - Winter pack, Recaro leather "R" seats, RNS510, Milltek full system including Lucifer non-res pipe, K&N panel filter, Stage 2 map, H&R springs, Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2 in gloss anthracite, TRC lower splitter

MKIII GTI 8v - 100mm JOM Coilovers, Porsche Teledial Alloys, Powerflow Exhaust, Modified Intake, VR6 Leather Interior, Badgeless Grille, Smoked Indicators, Bonnet Bra, Anniversary VR6 "Big Chin" Splitter, Colour Coded Rear Spoiler, Kenwood Stereo, Pioneer Door Speakers

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Diplomatic as ever Mike

You would have said the same thing if i hadn`t beat you to it  ;)

I have a non-resonated milltek/lucifer cat back exhaust with K&N panel filter and map. Was looking at getting the sports manifold, sports cats and Forge induction kit but would need a new map.

If something is "worth it" only you can decide that. Manifolds and sport cats from me are £850. Fitting takes about four hours. A map update should only be 100-200 max really depends in your just having a generic map update from APR/Revo etc or a proper custom map done by vince on a dyno.You don`t have to have a map update. The Forge induction kit is a piece of cheap chinese shite that i can send you links to the part needed and save you half what Forge charge. If you want induction noise just drill some holes in the bottom of the airbox and save yourself several hundred pounds.Doing the manifolds and sport cats makes the throttle much more responsive plus you get peak power earlier in the rev range which stays all the way to the rev limiter. Tuning a NA engine is more to do with altering how the power graph looks then looking at just bhp increase like when mapping a turbo car. 

MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire

So the Forge isnt really worth it then and I should stick to my panel filter?! Thank you also for your honest review of tuning. Im happy with my car but is the extra power really worth that cost? 

Do you have those manifolds in stock?

mattdub

mattdub

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationLake District / Birmingham
Keep the panel filter and get the manifolds, cats aren't going to make a lot of difference at this point.

Down to expectations of power really.

We could have the 300hp n/a debate, I'd rather avoid that though :)
  • MJVR6 and TimmyJK7 like this

VW Mk 4 R32 - C38-91 (in progress!) Rotrex Charged - Stealth Tuned - High Boost/WMI
VW Golf Mk 7 GTD

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Don't you lose low down torque with mani's and sports cats on NA R32's?

Have yet to find before and after dyno's of a UK MK5

Edited by iooroiidvd, 17 February 2017 - 03:54 PM.

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

You loose low end power fitting de-cat on the NA not with sport cats. There is no reason to loose power fitting the manifolds/down pipes as there are just a better flow design. I remap helps a lot if fitting de-cats but i always recommend fitting sport cats over de-cats on a NA engine. Only reason to fit a de-cat over a sport cat is if you want a really loud exhaust. 

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

So the Forge isnt really worth it then and I should stick to my panel filter?! Thank you also for your honest review of tuning. Im happy with my car but is the extra power really worth that cost? 

Do you have those manifolds in stock?

Yes manifolds and sport cats in stock. 

daveleeuk

daveleeuk

• Members
  • 505 posts
  • LocationDorset (Bournemouth)

No such thing as stage 1 -2 5 etc , it`s all just advertising bullshite .

What you thinking of having done and what have you got fitted at the moment . 

Had always wondered this, seems just pointless.

eg.

buy part

remap

buy part

remap

etc

Why not just buy all the things you want then get a map

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

A map update shouldn`t cost much plus much easier to do exhaust and basic map then other bits later as you save money. If people sat down and worked out how much they had spent on their cars over the years a lot would cry. I hate thinking about the amount i have wasted on cars over the years as could have bought a second house by now. 

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Had always wondered this, seems just pointless.

eg.

buy part

remap

buy part

remap

etc

Why not just buy all the things you want then get a map

My car already came with the exhaust and a map! I am just looking at getting some more power out of it as I cannot really afford the turbo route yet.

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire

A map update shouldn`t cost much plus much easier to do exhaust and basic map then other bits later as you save money. If people sat down and worked out how much they had spent on their cars over the years a lot would cry. I hate thinking about the amount i have wasted on cars over the years as could have bought a second house by now. 

I spent in excess of £30k on my Hillman Imp project and sold it 6 years later only driving it the once and for an all mighty loss...

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Every pound i spend on my turbo R32 is wasted which i don`t expect to get back but i do it for the fun of it. Just a shame everything i do or brake costs me thousands each time.  

• mattdub likes this

G30001

G30001

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBeckenham
This is mine with Forge Can, Lucifer sports cats, down pipes and mid section (Miltek back box).

This before and after remap at Stealth all hardware was on the car before I went to Stealth so this is just the Map. I had a run with just Cat Back and Forge done when I bought it and it ran 243Bhp 219lbft

Would highly recommend the trip to see Vince as this wasn't just plug and play he downloads the current map, analyses it makes changes then tinkers with it on the rolling road.

Attached Files

Edited by G30001, 18 February 2017 - 09:55 AM.

2008 Silver MK5 5 door Manual.
Forge CAI, Miltek/Lucifer Resonated Exhaust DP and SC's, H&R ARB's, Stealth Remap

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire
I would be looking at getting an APR or Revo map if I went for the the manifold and sports Cat

Rawr_32

Rawr_32

Sausage Fingers

• Members
  • 3,476 posts

I would be looking at getting an APR or Revo map if I went for the the manifold and sports Cat

I'd recommend using Vince at Stealth.

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

This is mine with Forge Can, Lucifer sports cats, down pipes and mid section (Miltek back box).

This before and after remap at Stealth all hardware was on the car before I went to Stealth so this is just the Map. I had a run with just Cat Back and Forge done when I bought it and it ran 243Bhp 219lbft

Would highly recommend the trip to see Vince as this wasn't just plug and play he downloads the current map, analyses it makes changes then tinkers with it on the rolling road.

I realise there are differences across machines, temp, humidity etc but do you happen to have a graph of the previous run?

• G30001 likes this

G30001

G30001

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBeckenham

I realise there are differences across machines, temp, humidity etc but do you happen to have a graph of the previous run?

I will post it if I find it.

The reading wasn't good as the cats were knackered at the time and from what Vince said it had a amateur map on it as it was running lean below 3K and massively rich over it, was only getting 20mpg (vs 24.5 now) too.

Feels like a different car now.
  • mattdub likes this

Forge CAI, Miltek/Lucifer Resonated Exhaust DP and SC's, H&R ARB's, Stealth Remap

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Every pound i spend on my turbo R32 is wasted which i don`t expect to get back but i do it for the fun of it. Just a shame everything i do or brake costs me thousands each time.  

Maybe a silly question so I apologise now but do the Sports Cats/Manifold make the car louder? I dont think my g/f would cope if the car was any louder lol

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2,034 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Diplomatic as ever Mike

But truth is spoken, same concept with advertising bollocks when it comes to Supercharging, Stage blah blah blah... 

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 2,034 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

We could have the 300hp n/a debate, I'd rather avoid that though :)

Imagine how much Popcorn you would have to buy us all... LoL!!! ;)

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,805 posts

Maybe a silly question so I apologise now but do the Sports Cats/Manifold make the car louder? I dont think my g/f would cope if the car was any louder lol

Sports cat makes it only a bit louder than stock cats when you gun it, but otherwise in normal driving you'd be hard pressed to notice, so it's win win really. I've got sports cats, milltek resonated back box and TT cams

Manifolds I have no knowledge over. Everyone says manifolds make more volume
  • TimmyJK7 likes this

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Sports cat makes it only a bit louder than stock cats when you gun it, but otherwise in normal driving you'd be hard pressed to notice, so it's win win really. I've got sports cats, milltek resonated back box and TT cams

Manifolds I have no knowledge over. Everyone says manifolds make more volume

Thanks for this, I will just have to tell her she is hearing things lol!

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

As GTI FLY said sport cats don`t make any noticeable difference just driving around town, only when really flooring it is there a slight difference. De-Cat will make the car much louder and booming sound which some like. Sport cats will pass an MOT, road and insurance legal plus actually make more over all power then what a de-cat will.

• TimmyJK7 likes this

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I am not interested in making it louder as your non-res pipe has made it noticable louder :) I also dont want it to fail emissions with the decat so sports cats all the way. Just was interested in if the noise was affected with sports cats and new manifold. 

• Lucifer likes this

G30001

G30001

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBeckenham
The sports cats are an all round win as no worries at MOT time, quiet around town but give you a bit of extra volume when you open her up.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,805 posts
I guess it might be obvious, but the extra sound comes from underneath the gear stick, which is where the cat lives , rather than behind you which is what you get with a back box .

I guess a manifold will increase noise up front .

With cats the sound is a bit more raspy perhaps, but it does sound better with it on . Just make sure yours passes emissions.

For whatever reason mine stinks with sport cat and has failed emissions . In my situation I'm loathed to stick the standard cats back on just to see if I have duff sports cats (which I bought used )

G30001

G30001

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBeckenham

have you stuck some Cataclean through, heard only good things about it incl from my local MOT station who don't sell it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users