76 replies to this topic

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Go stage 2 as 1 has no intercooler. Or.. cut your losses and buy a different car thats already 'got boost'? Inwas tempted by the stage 2 TRD package but i bought a 6R instead

Only had my golf 2 minutes and it took me an age to find one with the spec i wanted so wont be looking to sell to get one already done

MKV R32 - Winter pack, Recaro leather "R" seats, RNS510, Milltek full system including Lucifer non-res pipe, K&N panel filter, Stage 2 map, H&R springs, Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2 in gloss anthracite, TRC lower splitter

MKIII GTI 8v - 100mm JOM Coilovers, VR6 BBS alloys, Magnex cat-back

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Good price but a tad confused in regards matey stating "Cylinder head removal is not necessary on our kit, unlike other supercharger kits and turbo conversions."

This kit must be 8psi plus in order for Injectors to be changed.

So are you gonna think about going for this then?

No but I was interested in prices.....

• MJVR6 likes this

MKV R32 - Winter pack, Recaro leather "R" seats, RNS510, Milltek full system including Lucifer non-res pipe, K&N panel filter, Stage 2 map, H&R springs, Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2 in gloss anthracite, TRC lower splitter

Stonejag

Stonejag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

I know that N/A's so difficult to tune to get any real gains and only way for bigger power is charging but it is so expensive. I am happy just to get a few bhp more to get closer to the 275bhp mark.

"Difficult to tune" is a bit of a myth - there's still plenty you can do before going for forced induction. 275bhp is easily achievable by adding cams and a map so don't get sucked into charging it without considering the alternative!

My dyno plots for reference, this is from Stealth's dyno before and after Vince mapped it...

2016-12-13-dyno1.jpg

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I have ordered a full sports cat system now and in talks with a Schrik Cam supplier so hopefully next 6 months will see the car really transform.

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

"Difficult to tune" is a bit of a myth - there's still plenty you can do before going for forced induction. 275bhp is easily achievable by adding cams and a map so don't get sucked into charging it without considering the alternative!

Mk4 is easier to extract more power from NA than Mk5 by all the research on Vortex.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,710 posts

Mk4 is easier to extract more power from NA than Mk5 by all the research on Vortex.

Really ? Why would that be ? Seeing as they are same engine give or take , mk5 has the benefit of more variation on the exhaust timing , probably a better exhaust system, would have thought the mk5 would have seen a tiny bit more power than a mk4, but talking tiny amounts, as it's still na tuning

I would have thought like for like bolt ons, the mk5 and mk4 would make similar power ?
  • TimmyJK7 likes this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Really ? Why would that be ? Seeing as they are same engine give or take , mk5 has the benefit of more variation on the exhaust timing , probably a better exhaust system, would have thought the mk5 would have seen a tiny bit more power than a mk4, but talking tiny amounts, as it's still na tuning
I would have thought like for like bolt ons, the mk5 and mk4 would make similar power ?

There are not many differences but there are some including fundamentals like compression.

I don't believe anyone got to any evidenced view why but you just don't get the same bang for your buck.

Commonly held view is that there is something buried in the deepest darkest corners of the ECU.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,710 posts
I thought the mk4 bfh engines had a higher compression?
and by now I would have thought any ECU tricks or best mapping would have been achieved by now.

One thing is for sure, over on vwvortex they always seem to have higher rolling road results than us in UK , now given they run on much lower octane fuel than us, I always end up scratching my head over that, and also they always always achieve much better 1/4 mile times than us by a very noticeable margin.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,710 posts

I know that N/A's so difficult to tune to get any real gains and only way for bigger power is charging but it is so expensive. I am happy just to get a few bhp more to get closer to the 275bhp mark.

High lift Cams, and mapping will get you to 275bhp

I got 276 on my mk4 from:
Techtonic cams (260/264)
200 cell sports cats
Milltek back box
Kn panel filter in factory airbox with drilled holes for extra lols

I suspect with higher duration cams from the likes of schrick will gain a few more HP too.

As it is, my car made maximum power at 6800/6900rpm, which is a decent increase over the stock power limit which is around 6000-6200rpm. U can rev the engine that bit harder than stock and it delivers the extra shove
  • Stonejag likes this

Stonejag

Stonejag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

High lift Cams, and mapping will get you to 275bhp
I got 276 on my mk4 from:
Techtonic cams (260/264)
200 cell sports cats
Milltek back box
Kn panel filter in factory airbox with drilled holes for extra lols
I suspect with higher duration cams from the likes of schrick will gain a few more HP too.

You basically have the same setup as mine then, excepting I have Schrick 268/264s and a bunch of head work. Like you say there's gains to be had from minor changes past that point (i.e. a percentage improvement for each mod) but reaching the 275 mark should be fairly straightforward with bolt-ons.

American fuel is a bit misleading - they use a different octane scale so 85 US is more like 90 over here. You can get E-85 in quite a few places now too which gives an instant boost if you tune for it!

I am booked in to have my new downpipes fitted in a couple of weeks - can't wait but hopefully should see the right side of 300 once they're on :)
  • MJVR6 and G60Dub like this

iooroiidvd

iooroiidvd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

You basically have the same setup as mine then, excepting I have Schrick 268/264s and a bunch of head work. Like you say there's gains to be had from minor changes past that point (i.e. a percentage improvement for each mod) but reaching the 275 mark should be fairly straightforward with bolt-ons.
American fuel is a bit misleading - they use a different octane scale so 85 US is more like 90 over here. You can get E-85 in quite a few places now too which gives an instant boost if you tune for it!
I am booked in to have my new downpipes fitted in a couple of weeks - can't wait but hopefully should see the right side of 300 once they're on :)

You done/doing manifold or just pipes?

Stonejag

Stonejag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
Manifolds and downpipes, from Lucifer but then I had them ceramic coated locally. In theory this should keep more heat inside the pipes which is good for exhaust scavenging and thermodynamic efficiency, but I expect the results will mostly be from the increased flow over the skinny stock pipes. Be interesting to see how it does :)

TimmyJK7

TimmyJK7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I went Milltek thanks to Demon Tweeks sales rep! Just waiting on quotes to come back for fitting.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,710 posts

Manifolds and downpipes, from Lucifer but then I had them ceramic coated locally. In theory this should keep more heat inside the pipes which is good for exhaust scavenging and thermodynamic efficiency, but I expect the results will mostly be from the increased flow over the skinny stock pipes. Be interesting to see how it does :)

What did the manifolds and downpipes do to the sound ? Has it changed the tone, volume, rasp etc ?

Wonder how much power the manifolds and downpipes released ?

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon

You done/doing manifold or just pipes?

Standard Mk4 down pipes are mostly just 1" wide and nearly in an X shape. What i sale are 2" wide and much better flow. 

20161104_220642_zpsxwi7cttn.jpg

20161104_221055_zpsadi6jyw3.jpg

• Stonejag likes this

715 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

Stonejag

Stonejag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

What did the manifolds and downpipes do to the sound ? Has it changed the tone, volume, rasp etc ?

Wonder how much power the manifolds and downpipes released ?

I won't know until they're fitted! Booked in for the 9th March so not too long to wait.

My engine sounds a bit different since the head work (and again since the remap) so not sure how it'll compare. More interested in the power gain to be honest, there comes a point where you just treat it as loud and don't worry about it :)
  • G60Dub likes this

Rawr_32

Rawr_32

Sausage Fingers

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

I thought the mk4 bfh engines had a higher compression?
and by now I would have thought any ECU tricks or best mapping would have been achieved by now.

One thing is for sure, over on vwvortex they always seem to have higher rolling road results than us in UK , now given they run on much lower octane fuel than us, I always end up scratching my head over that, and also they always always achieve much better 1/4 mile times than us by a very noticeable margin.

The lower octane fuel is a myth, American fuel is measured in AKI and not octane like ours. What they refer to as 93 is actually the equaivalent of our 98 RON

Edit: already covered above. I didn't realise the last post I saw was only on page 2 😬

Edited by Rawr_32, 01 March 2017 - 06:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users