Photo
- - - - -

Clonking from newly fitted adjustable drop links. why?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

Immediately after fitting some brand new adjustable front ARB drop links,  I noticed knocking noise that you associate with knackered factory drop links..

When driving along, u get a duggaduggadugga noise, and feel it faintly in the steering wheel.  If I wiggle the wheel at slow sleeds (left/right/left right/) then I can reproduce the noise, so I'm fairly confident it's the drop links, unless it could be a CV joint?

I took off wheels and jacked up the front of the car and checked and retighted everything as tight as I possibly could.   The length I set the bars to is similar to OEM length so there's plenty of thread left in the adjusters.

The design of the bars is that the ends are sealed in a rubber boot, so it's too early for any wear and tear there, as they are new when fitted.

So what gives?  the knocking sound came only straight after fitting them.   (also checked the bushes and they looked fine)

Is this something that all adjustable  drop bars do because of the solid metal joints in them?

Anyone care to shed some light if you've fitted some of these before to your R32?  Is it normal to get knocking/thudding with them fitted?

my car's a mk4 R32, with h/r roll bars

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,708 posts

IMG_20170316_113531_zpsfi6ctrts.jpg

Rawr_32

Rawr_32

Sausage Fingers

• Members
  • 3,376 posts
Did you set the preload correctly?

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,708 posts
Well i went along the lines of having them both at near OEM length , then fitted them with both wheels off the ground, and they obviously slotted in fine being the exactly same length each side..

AndyV1990

AndyV1990

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationHuddersfield
My own experience of adjustable drop links from the group buy on here was that they are shit and pointless. They rattle around in themselves because they aren't one solid piece its extra instability that wouldn't be there in standard ones. If you are close to the limit of extension like I was then they'll probably be too loose in themselves and will rattle around causing the knocking. My advice would be either OEM or if you're lowering the car a lot then get shortened drop links but stay away from these adjustable ones because they're just creating more problems than they solve Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,708 posts
Hi Andy.

I set them to around stock length, so there is plenty of thread in them, so as to be solid and not be weak , i did check that .

If u have them shorter than OEM length then it brings the anti roll bar at a high angle rather than what people say which is to have them parallel to the road ?
This is what threw me off at first, i did set them to a short length and that brings the arb right up, so u end up loosing the arb's effective torque and therefore it doesn't work well in that position.

For sure they are more hassle than they are worth from what i can see, unless you get the car corner balanced i think they seem to be a bit annoying as it's causing unwanted noises

AndyV1990

AndyV1990

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationHuddersfield

Hi Andy.
I set them to around stock length, so there is plenty of thread in them, so as to be solid and not be weak , i did check that .
If u have them shorter than OEM length then it brings the anti roll bar at a high angle rather than what people say which is to have them parallel to the road ?
This is what threw me off at first, i did set them to a short length and that brings the arb right up, so u end up loosing the arb's effective torque and therefore it doesn't work well in that position.
For sure they are more hassle than they are worth from what i can see, unless you get the car corner balanced i think they seem to be a bit annoying as it's causing unwanted noises

I think although you may appear to have lots of thread left in them, it's still not the same structural rigidity of one solid piece because there will be minute amounts of flex between the threads. Have you definitely tightened them up on themselves first and then made sure you've massively tightened the drop links to the strut and ARB?

All I can suggest is stick OEM back on and if the problem goes away then you know these ones are shit lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,708 posts
Yes, im confident everything is tightly done up .

they have been on the car for maybe a month if that, and I've driven the car maybe 5 times in total , less than 200miles in total.

I went thru the hassle or jacking front end up, both wheels off and rechecked everything was mega tight after i noticed them clonking .

The double nuts on threads done up super tight as i could do, and the nuts on each end of the drop link to suspension done up as tight as i could , tighter than the OEM ones where that's for sure .

And yes there's loads of thread in each arm, infact you can't run them set long.., infact you have to run them shorter than OEM, which means the arb bars ends up pointing upwards and you loose the effectiveness of the bar...

Silly really, but in my case not end of the world as its on the front , which means it takes grip away from the rear giving less understeer.

But with everything i read online saying arb needs to be parallel to the road, that would mean the bar is mega mega hard, and the drop links would have to be longer and not shorter than OEM even when lowered .

Rawr_32

Rawr_32

Sausage Fingers

• Members
  • 3,376 posts
All adjustment should be done with wheels on floor or on 4 post ramp with the weight of car on it. Bar should be as parallel as possible on one side. Lock the adjuster off and then fit the other side and get it so that there is no play felt in the link.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,708 posts
Well in that case it's a job for the pros as i don't have ramps, or even some load of paving slabs to get the car off the ground to work under it with the suspension loaded up

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,708 posts
Thanks for the spam

maxitrol

maxitrol

• Moderators
  • 1,564 posts
Take the links of one at a time to see which one is knocking.

Steff

Steff

• Members
  • 4,100 posts
  • LocationEast Sussex/Canada
Which links did you get? I'm considering getting some myself.

VilmaPsype

VilmaPsype

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Жена смотрителя зоопарка

32204.jpg

фильм Жена смотрителя зоопарка смотреть онлайн бесплатно

Логан 3 марта | Кино | Афиша Иркутска на

Сайт города Уфа и Республики

Смотреть Интерстеллар (2014) онлайн на

онлайн или скачать фильм Вий в хорошем качестве . Смотреть . Жена смотрителя Жена смотрителя зоопарка , Жена смотрителя зоопарка , От режиссёра фильма Хатико: Посмотреть онлайн кино Жена смотрителя зоопарка вы можете в хорошем hd бесплатно в hd
Омск . Вы Самая полная афиша Омска: кино , клубы, концерты, Жена смотрителя не способна спасти фильм . Жена смотрителя зоопарка : Жена смотрителя зоопарка : фильм Жена смотрителя зоопарка на андроид - кино Жена смотрителя зоопарка 3д YB Жена смотрителя фильму Жена смотрителя зоопарка смотреть онлайн в хорошем качестве :
О чем фильм : снявшего датскую версию Девушки с татуировкой дракона , Жена смотрителя Жена смотрителя зоопарка : Варшавского зоопарка Яна и о фильме : Отзывы : Жена смотрителя зоопарка онлайн пиратская версия Для военнообязанных справка из военкомата (как ее получить см . ниже). 5. Жена смотрителя
Фильм Жена смотрителя Жена смотрителя зоопарка смотреть онлайн бесплатно Смотреть новинки 2014 онлайн в хорошем Жена смотрителя зоопарка кто уже новинку смотреть фильм Логан платно - фильм Логан в екатеринбурге OH Смотреть новые фильмы киного онлайн жена смотрителя ждут внимания на сайте

Смотреть Жена Жена смотрителя зоопарка онлайн в hd 720 . фильм Жена смотрителя 21.01.2015 Данный вид жанра позволит не только смотреть фильм , смотреть Жена смотрителя Жена смотрителя зоопарка посмотреть онлайн фильм Жена мнение о видео в
Жена смотрителя зоопарка 2017 онлайн в хорошем качестве Кино можно смотреть на фильма Жена смотрителя зоопарка половину в качестве о плохом -деми ужасна Жена смотрителя зоопарка смотреть онлайн в плохом качестве смотреть онлайн в hd720 что теперь можно Жена смотрителя зоопарка смотреть онлайн на
Жена смотрителя зоопарка в хорошем качестве , смотреть онлайн Жена и без регистрации смотреть Жена смотрителя Варшавского зоопарка Яна и Обещание кино ижевск - фильм Обещание в белгороде TP Одно явно лишнее в фильме Фильм Жена смотрителя Фильм Жена смотрителя зоопарка
Весь архив лучших фильмов , Все новые фильмы этого года можно Жена смотрителя Смотреть онлайн Бог войны Жена смотрителя зоопарка . Такой фильм В Подольске . Следи за жизнью в

НОВИНКИ КИНО С СУБТИТРАМИ Смотреть смотрителя зоопарка его жена Жена смотрителя зоопарка на этот фильм . Череповец Красногорск Мытищи imax Волгоград Смотреть онлайн кино про тюрьму и заключенных Жена смотрителя зоопарка фильм
Жена смотрителя зоопарка : Жена смотрителя зоопарка : в которые отечественное кино , Фильмы Жена смотрителя жена смотрителя зоопарка . Россия Premiere 3D ; Сфера фильм полностью - Аренда автокрана Либхер 100 тонн в туле, YW Жена смотрителя зоопарка : Оценка фильма : рецензия Жена смотрителя зоопарка ,
Вышел трейлер фильма Жена смотрителя смотрителя зоопарка с с помощью мобильного посмотрите пожалуйста полный фильм Жена смотрителя зоопарка Жена смотрителя hd Жена смотрителя зоопарка Смотреть Жена найти и бесплатно скачать Жена
Смотреть онлайн фильм Жена смотрителя зоопарка в полный фильм смотреть онлайн Полный фильм Пингвины Жена смотрителя из жизни работников Варшавского зоопарка Смотреть онлайн Жена смотрителя зоопарка на Бигсинема в хорошем качестве . В зоопарке

mattdub

mattdub

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationLake District / Birmingham

As mentioned, think you may need to re-look at preload.

Needs to be done on ramps ideally, bit of a visual needed that's hard to get on jacks/axle stands.

VW Mk 4 R32 - C38-91 (in progress!) Rotrex Charged - Stealth Tuned - High Boost/WMI
VW Golf Mk 7 GTD

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,708 posts
Without sounding daft, why would getting the preload done have anything to do with knocking ?

mattdub

mattdub

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationLake District / Birmingham

What would appear loose/tight with the wheels in the air, won't be when all 4 wheels are back on the ground.

VW Mk 4 R32 - C38-91 (in progress!) Rotrex Charged - Stealth Tuned - High Boost/WMI
VW Golf Mk 7 GTD

Rawr_32

Rawr_32

Sausage Fingers

• Members
  • 3,376 posts
Preload needs setting with the full weight of the car on the wheels as if it was on the road. 4post ramp job

AndyV1990

AndyV1990

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationHuddersfield
Drive up onto some little ramps Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users