What to renew??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Mickee

Mickee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
So the car is nearly 80000miles and its had a major service, haldex oil and filter change approx 6month ago.

What would/should be replaced for the sort of mileage it is?

My current to do list so far:

Purchase goodridge brake lines and renew brake fluid.
Improve handling some how was thinking rear arb & lowering springs?
Replace some if not most of the bushes.

Doing the above at the same time saving for lucifer manifolds, downpipes + sports cat & map.

Never had a car above 40k miles and older than 4 years recently other than the not so looked after and trusty corsa C with 120k miles petrol. The mk2 TT v6 is going to be looked after so some recommendations please.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,744 posts
Handling will be improved just from upgraded arbs even on the stock springs . I really liked driving my mates mk5 when it was new and we fitted arbs , it retained the long travel suspension so u could still drive fast across bumpy b roads .

Springs will make it look nicer of course

Not sure about changing all those other bushes, unless you feel they are somewhat knackered or feeling flush ?

Mickee

Mickee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Yeah I keep hearing "arbs" for handling and I think thats the next purchase as I've already fitted an anti lift kit and the engine mount insert which at first gave it an improved feel but now im used to it.

Would the lowering springs not help handling? Also when do I know to replace shock absorbers?

As well when do I know if a bush needs replacing? Is it something that can be physically felt or visually inspected during a health check?

I've never been as involved with cars up until now so other than the basics I'm clueless as you can tell.

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 1,979 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Would the lowering springs not help handling? Also when do I know to replace shock absorbers?

As well when do I know if a bush needs replacing? Is it something that can be physically felt or visually inspected during a health check?

I can sort you a price for H&R Springs bud and the ARB when you are ready.
As for the bushes, ideally physically felt...
Are you looking to Upgrade Bushes or stick to standard?

When I had H&R Springs on my MK4, felt it was more steadier than the Original R Springs, Tad Lower with original shock set up.
Maybe its ideal for you to go for a test drive if there is a member local to you who has changed there Springs, So you know how it feels and that your happy with that. :)

Mickee

Mickee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Cheers that would be great what size arb and would would the prices be? Thanks.

I'm getting a price at the moment for superpro bushes at the moment just the car is 9 years old at nearly 80k miles so im assuming their original bushes and possibly not im great shape? Its deffo due brake fluid change so ill get that sorted along with braided lines to hopefully make the brake pedal not so soft.

Yeah would be worth it to find a fellow mk2 tt v6 owner closr to Newcastle.

MJVR6

MJVR6

• Members
  • 1,979 posts
  • LocationHerts/NWLondon

Yeah would be worth it to find a fellow mk2 tt v6 owner closr to Newcastle.

Will deffo give you an idea before spending that cash. ;)

Mickee

Mickee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Well if there is anyone in the north east preferably Newcastle with a mk2 TT v6 who has some mods to do with handling eg arbs, springs ect not fussed about coil overs as ££££s!

Also would be great to get a feel of someone elses or vice versa to compare and see if there is anything noticeably wrong in the ride or if its down in power etc.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users