OEM suspension vs something else?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

alexh

alexh

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationFulham

My MK4 R32 is due to go in for new brakes, pads upgraded lines and calipers as well as a complete service.

I know from the last time it was on a lift that it would need at least one shock absorber and two springs, I'm guessing it still has the original shocks that came with the car so I'm thinking about replacing all of them.

With the cost to replace all the shocks and springs with new OEM replacements I was wondering if there is a better option?

For most people coilovers would be the obvious choice, the problem is I don't want to lower the car as I use it daily and currently struggle to get over the speed bumps where I live plus am also worried about making the ride too crashey for daily driving. Also from what I have read online in regards to coilovers options for the MK4 even with the coilovers in the highest setting the car would still be sitting lower than stock? So to me I can't see the value in the coilovers.

Really my question comes down to, replacing the OEM springs and shocks with new OEM parts will give me what I think I want from the suspension but am I missing out?  Given what I would spend is there an aftermarket option I should consider that would give me the same ride height and comfort as OEM but would be better option because it's more durable, lighter or for some other reason?

Thanks in advance.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,744 posts
I can only comment on having KW v3 coilovers, which are really expensive , and give what I consider as a very firm ride, sometimes crashy even with the dampers on fully soft .

Others have written online that the ride is great, but I beg to differ.

My suggestion would be to get feedback from others, and try to find a car with those other suspension brands on and go for a ride .

There are many other brands of coilovers out there, there could be something that rides ok and isn't stupid low. Stock ride height was already fairly low for a factory car anyway .

I suspect new OEM would be great, but I'm sure that stuff is silly expensive ? More than 1k for the parts alone perhaps ?

ClintonB

ClintonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationLondon

Did mine not so long ago. All OEM parts except H&R Arbs. The difference was awesome. The "fresh" parts made a huge difference. Also remember to replace top mounts, drop links, lower control arms. Obviously, this is always a personal thing but for me, the OEM parts give the vehicle a perfect height (which is always required for the stupid speed bumps about). Mine is also a daily so goes everywhere!

Chrisbes

Chrisbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I'm considering a new suspension setup and when I rang TPS they wanted, I think, just shy of £1200 for shocks and springs all round. Now you can get a decent set of coils and fitted for way less than that..

Posted Image

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,744 posts

I'm considering a new suspension setup and when I rang TPS they wanted, I think, just shy of £1200 for shocks and springs all round. Now you can get a decent set of coils and fitted for way less than that..

Yeh 1200 buys very nice coilovers

But which ones ride like OEM suspension? In my experience coilovers on these cars are always harder than stock

alexh

alexh

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationFulham

Did mine not so long ago. All OEM parts except H&R Arbs. The difference was awesome. The "fresh" parts made a huge difference. Also remember to replace top mounts, drop links, lower control arms. Obviously, this is always a personal thing but for me, the OEM parts give the vehicle a perfect height (which is always required for the stupid speed bumps about). Mine is also a daily so goes everywhere!

Thanks for the feedback and advice. When you replaced the drop links and lower control arms did you go OEM, as I've scene adjustable drop links and tubular control arms availble?

alexh

alexh

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationFulham

Yeh 1200 buys very nice coilovers

But which ones ride like OEM suspension? In my experience coilovers on these cars are always harder than stock

This is what I'm reading online and the purpose of coilers is to be able to adjust the height of the vehicle, as I don't need or want to do this does it make sense to go the coilover route.

Edited by alexh, 18 May 2017 - 09:18 PM.

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 4,744 posts

Thanks for the feedback and advice. When you replaced the drop links and lower control arms did you go OEM, as I've scene adjustable drop links and tubular control arms availble?

Don't see why u would need to renew the control arms ? Maybe the bushes sure,
And no you wouldn't get tubular control arms as they would be overkill in this instance , mucho dollar for something which would be wasted for a daily driver .
Same again for adjustable drop links if you're not lowering the car

ClintonB

ClintonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationLondon

I bought Control Arms and DropLinks from ECP (identical if not better than the OEM parts). Non adjustable. The reason was that I wanted to replace the rubber bushes on the Control Arms but they also needed a good clean up. So instead of having the downtime of a respray (powder coating), decided it easier to simply replace. Yes, I was a bit excessive (replaced all bolts etc. where possible), but only wanted to do this once and while there might as well replace any part that needed some TLC :acute:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users