SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • 44 Thanks
  • LocationGillingham Kent
Garage View Garage
This is a guide to fitting a MK6 multi-function steering wheel into either a MK5 or a MK6 or just how to remove the steering wheel, or to upgrade to a normal MK5 MFSW if you don't have one as its all virtually the same.

PLEASE FOLLOW THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AS IT INVOLVES THE AIR BAG

IF PUTTING A MK6 MFSW ON A MK5 AND USING THE CH MODULE ONLY 7 BUTTONS WILL WORK NOT ALL 12
I STILL REALLY LIKE THE LOOK ITS NOT ALL ABOUT THE BUTTONS

If you have cruise control the stalk may need to be changed in the mk5 to a mk6 stalk but if the part number ends in G your ok, if it ends in F or A and it needs changing.

If upgrading purely MK5 non MFSW to a MK5 MFSW you will need steering wheel control module 1k0 953 549 BK  if your car never had a MFSW you will probably not have a BK fitted, so you will need this module.

If putting a MK6 wheel in a MK5 you will steering wheel control module 1k0 953 549 CH    you have to change this as no buttons will work at all even if you had a MK5 MFSW in the first place.

First we need to disconnect the battery negative lead from here in the boot (R32) or in the engine bay for most other VW's

DO NOT CLOSE the hatch as you will need to reconnect the negative later and the boot needs power to open

Remove this

Posted Image

Undo this and place out the way so it can't touch the car body

Posted Image
Posted Image

PLEASE LEAVE THE CAR TO STAND FOR AT LEAST 5 MINS TO DISCHAGE ANY STORED ELECTRICITY

these are the safety precautions that VW state you should follow

WARNING

t   Pyrotechnic components always contain a propellant that generates a gas during combustion. On some versions, a separate          
compressed gas reservoir is available to generate the gas.
t   This compressed gas is stored under high pressure in a compressed gas tank.
t   Ignition of the pyrotechnic components is by means of an electric/mechanical igniter.
t   Testing, removing, installing and repair work may only be performed by qualified personnel.
t   For airbag units, there are no exchange intervals.
t   Under no circumstances should checks be carried out with a test lamp, voltmeter or ohmmeter.
t   Pyrotechnic components may only be checked in installed state and with vehicle diagnosis, testing and information systems approved by the manufacturer.
t   When working on pyrotechnic components and airbag control unit -J234-, the battery earth strap must be disconnected with the ignition switched on. Then cover negative terminal.
t   A waiting time of 10 seconds is necessary after disconnecting the battery.
t   The battery must be connected with the ignition SWITCHED ON. When doing this, there should be no-one inside the vehicle. Exception: Vehicles with battery inside passenger compartment. In this case do not stay anywhere near the effective range of the airbags and seat belts.
t   Wash hands after coming into contact with triggered pyrotechnic components of restraint system.
t   Pyrotechnic components must not be opened or repaired; always use new parts (risk of injury).
t   Pyrotechnic components that have been dropped onto a hard surface or show signs of damage must not be installed in a vehicle.
t   Before handling pyrotechnic components of the restraint system, for example before separating an electrical connection, the mechanic must electrostatically discharge himself/herself. Electrostatic discharge is achieved by touching earthed metallic parts, such as the door  striker plate.
t   Pyrotechnic components must be installed immediately after they have been removed from their packaging.
t   If work is interrupted, the pyrotechnic component must be stored back in its packaging.
t   Leaving the pyrotechnic component unattended is prohibited.
t   Pyrotechnic components must not come into contact with grease, cleaning solution or similar.
t   Pyrotechnic components must not be subjected to temperatures above 100 °C even for short periods.

Now to remove the air bag, undo the reach and rake lever and pull the wheel forward and up on its adjustment then lock the lever back in position.

From its normal horizontal position turn the wheel 90 deg to show this little tab at the back of the wheel

Posted Image
Posted Image

Insert an average size say 8mm flat blade screwdriver into here and twist it 90 deg this will release a sprung catch and hopefully will allow one side of the air bag to pop out or to be pulled gently out.

Posted Image
Posted Image

now turn the wheel through 180 deg so you can get to the other tab on the other side, put a screwdriver in this and so the same as above once this comes off you will need someone to help you or be quite good at working with one hand as you must now remove this yellow plug by pulling the sprung latch at the top of it toward you whist pulling on the plug and also release the latch and remove the black plug as well

Posted Image
Posted Image

!!!!!!!!  NOW PLACE THE AIRBAG SOMEWHERE SAFE WITH THE AIRBAG (VW BADGE) FACING UP, TRY NOT TO PUT IT ON CARPET ETC AS THIS CAN CONDUCT STATIC AND COULD PREMATURELY SET OFF THE AIRBAG  !!!!!!!!!

If you have a really early MK5 the slip ring might not be the correct one to do this mod, I’m sorry to say i have no info on this other than you will need to upgrade your slip ring behind the steering wheel to 1K0 959 653 C this is still totally current up to MK6 golf in 2011.

Also if you have an early MK5 these had a dual deployment airbag system on them and two connectors on the back of the air bag, I BELIEVE THIS IS ONLY FOR AMERICAN CARS AS LOOKING THROUGH WIRING DIAGRAMS IT DOESN'T APPEAR ON EUROPE SPEC'D CARS we will be using a new MK6 steering wheel one with one connector on it, as both units use the 1K0 959 653 C slip ring it should work ok, I’ve researched this quite a bit on ETKA and ELSAWIN and it does not appear that after 2005 you have dual deployment but you will only know for sure by popping off the bag and looking for either 1 or 2 connectors.

You should now see a nut with 12 splines on it, this can be got out with a 6 splined torx bit or a proper 12 splined tool or as a last resort as many of you won’t have large torx or 12 splined bits, you can use an allen key in there i can't remember what size but believe it was imperial rather than metric.

Posted Image
Posted Image

So remove the nut from the wheel and pull the wheel off the splines

Posted Image

Pull the top half of the steering wheel cover off now we can see the 3 screws that hold the bottom half of the steering wheel cover on remove these screws and it just falls off, then this gives us access to the stalks for indicators and wipers and the all important steering wheel control module that you need to change.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

IF YOU HAVE CRUISE CONTROL YOU WILL NEED THE MK6 STALK THIS ENDS IN G AT THE END BUT HAS BEEN USED ON THE MK5 FOR SOME TIME SO HOPEFULLY YOU WILL BE OK, NO CRUISE DON'T WORRY WHAT PART NUMBER STALK IS

Posted Image

Now it’s time to remove this the steering wheel control module SWCM

Posted Image

this screw is a weird screw it’s not torx but you can jam a torx or flat blade in it to get it out as its not done up that tight

Posted Image

Now there are 2 clips that hold the SWCM in to the underside of the wheel you have to remove them like this poke a very small allen key in here to undo the first clip

Posted Image
Posted Image

only slightly pull this down as you don't want to bend any pins now the back one with a slightly bigger allen key here. I’ve removed the control module already to make it easier to see where to unclip it

Posted Image

Once both clips are released pull straight down on the unit and it will come away from all the pins now release both plugs at the back, pull back this clip and pull the plug out

Posted Image

pull back this clip and pull plug out

Posted Image

Now you’re ready to do it all in reverse .......put back the new SWCM and the plugs, the trim round the steering column with all 3 screws,put your nice new steering wheel on be it the piano black or chrome one.

IF YOUR WHEEL BOLT HAS BEEN ON ANF OFF 5 TIMES EG.. OFF ON OFF ON OFF, IT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED AS ITS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE USED 5 TIMES

Now put the new airbag back in the new wheel put the little black connector in first then put in the yellow airbag connector....

Posted Image
Posted Image

PLEASE KEEP IT POINTING AWAY FROM YOU AND YOUR FACE AWAY FROM IT WHEN PUTTING IT BACK, ALSO WHERE GLOVES THAT DO NOT CONDUCT STATIC AS IF IT DID GO OFF IT COULD BURN YOUR HANDS.

Now gently push the airbag back into its enclosure, now unlike the MK5 the MK6 is a pig to get back in you really have to give it some good pushing to overcome the side springs and also to seat the 4 white sprung holders into there recesses inside the wheel or it will stick out.

Posted Image
Posted Image

All done, now turn on the ignition with the key and then reconnect the battery negative lead your airbag should not go off.

Now go and have a cuppa or a beer as the next hour possibly will be taken up with trying to reset the ESP ABS module 03 breaks via vag com and steering assist module 44 in vag com to try and reset all these lights,

Posted Image

You will have a few lights up on the dash at the end of the job, 1st thing to do is go for a slow drive about say 15 mph and under, hopefully the'll all go away.

if not then you will need VAG-COM or someone with it to follow this

http://wiki.ross-tec...sist#Adaptation

Edited by SI-R32, 09 January 2012 - 08:44 PM.

8 sensor OPS  displayed on RNS-510 DAB, S6 DRL's With lights on dimming, MK6 RVC, Auto popping hatch, MK6 MFSW / MDI in glove box. MK6 BT unit, Retro fitted folding / puddle lighted / reverse dip mirrors, Focal 3 way front & JL rears from a Blaupunkt THA 475 Amp. Miltek resonated Exhaust / AMD Essex remap /  Forge air intake /Blue Haldex /H&R front & rear ARB's / Genuine Golf R 19" Talladega wheels / Valeo Skyline LED's / MK6 Climatroic / Full LED upgrade / VW TV Installed / Recaro seats / to come soon front cornering fogs and park assist

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

>Fitting/Wiring A6 DRL's-Change brake discs/pads-Canbus Removal/Location-Optical Front/Rear Sensors-Change Multifunction Wheel-Fitting/Wiring Front & Rear Speakers<

Thanked by 1 Member:
safm  

N13KKF™

N13KKF™

• Members
  • 3,654 posts
  • 17 Thanks
  • LocationESSEX
Great write up Simon top job mate

Amster

Amster

• Members
  • 785 posts
  • 0 Thanks
nice info
thanks for sharing,,
cheers
Amster

DBPaul

DBPaul

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Garage View Garage
Very good guide :D

Posted Image

ablecute

ablecute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Hello im new here, anyway i need help badly i was able to change my steering wheel from MK5 to MK6(piano silver edition red stitches) actually im an owner of a VW JETTA 06 and im getting frustrated and almost giving up on this task of modifying my steering wheel ichange the SW module and airbag harness nothing seems to work, now i have another problem when my module was installed the power steering warning light s had appear yellow and the steering wheel gets stiff when i start to to drive do i need to rest this with a VAG COM please anybody help me no one seems to help when i went to the shop they said they dont enccourage mix matching. help please.......

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • 44 Thanks
Garage View Garage
Hi there ablecute welcome to the site

1st thing to try is to drive round for a while, the steering will usually reset itself and goto its normal stiffness, if this does not work, you need to visit the ross tech site and follow there instructions on resetting the steering angle with vag-com

here is a link to the above

http://wiki.ross-tec...sist#Adaptation

Edited by SI-R32, 09 June 2011 - 07:00 PM.

8 sensor OPS  displayed on RNS-510 DAB, S6 DRL's With lights on dimming, MK6 RVC, Auto popping hatch, MK6 MFSW / MDI in glove box. MK6 BT unit, Retro fitted folding / puddle lighted / reverse dip mirrors, Focal 3 way front & JL rears from a Blaupunkt THA 475 Amp. Miltek resonated Exhaust / AMD Essex remap /  Forge air intake /Blue Haldex /H&R front & rear ARB's / Genuine Golf R 19" Talladega wheels / Valeo Skyline LED's / MK6 Climatroic / Full LED upgrade / VW TV Installed / Recaro seats / to come soon front cornering fogs and park assist

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

>Fitting/Wiring A6 DRL's-Change brake discs/pads-Canbus Removal/Location-Optical Front/Rear Sensors-Change Multifunction Wheel-Fitting/Wiring Front & Rear Speakers<

wega3k

wega3k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Thanks for the write-up. I fitted mine last week but no matter how hard I push the mk6 bag into the wheel I can't seem to fully seat it. It seems secure but it's standing slightly proud top and bottom and doesn't feel right when you push the sides to sound the horn.

Any more tips on that?

ablecute

ablecute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Thank's i really appreciate your help ,theres another problem my drivers air bag according to the dealer cannot be reset since i put in an incorrect air bag and that what i have before was a dual stage air bag so theres an open circuit ,i have no horn at this time and the steering wheel button is not functional, is there a way to resolve this issue?

nikeboyuk

nikeboyuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • 0 Thanks
  • LocationHull
Great guide Si, didnt use it to change to a MK6 steering wheel but was massively helpful when changing from NON-MFSW to a MFSW wheel :)

Cheers

omcpero

omcpero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Hi, this might help someone doing the same transition I want to achieve.

I have 2006 Highline Passat with MFSW and have changed the current MK5 for MK6 (which came with 2009 Jetta, also has paddle shifters, previous did not).

After changing the wiring to 3C8971584A, the plug seems to be a bit different, pins look the same, but you have to struggle to fit it in. I have connected it to a new Airbag (the old MK5 airbag was dual stage, new MK6 is single-stage, which means I have an Airbag fault active).

Right now the MFSW does not initate, all the LED lightning in the MK6 wheel is not turned on.

I am unsure if any of these procedures will work, but I'll keep tring, the wheel has so much better ergonomics :/

First I will try using the "5K0971584A" wiring instead of "3C8971584A".

If that does not work I will probably change the steering wheel module. I have seen posts where module "1K0-953-549-CH" should be the most compatibile one, the problem is that VW service personnel states this module is not listed as Passat, but rather Golf module. Choosing module "3C0-953-549-AC" or "3C0-953-549-AJ" (depending the LIN type) might be better option (hope any of you have any experience here).

EddieGT

EddieGT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • 0 Thanks
change the controller to one with LIN 2, your slip ring needs changing too if you original had dual ignitor
VAG-Com and Retrofitting, RNS510 Service Tool VIM new pin from £10
Brand New 7N0 CAN Gateways Supplied and fitted for £90 (Location NR31) or £70 Delivered
New RNS510F / H £650 Delivered / Cruise Control Supply and fit from £90

Usual Suspect

Usual Suspect

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Hi guys what SWCM do I need to make the buttons and horn work?

I Curently have a mk5 2006 Golf Gt Tdi with a revision C slip ring and highline display. It is a manual

Anyone know the part number?

Many thanks

EddieGT

EddieGT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • 0 Thanks
You will need 1K0 953 549CH

if you currently have cruise control and your stalk ends in A that will need to be changed to a G version
VAG-Com and Retrofitting, RNS510 Service Tool VIM new pin from £10
Brand New 7N0 CAN Gateways Supplied and fitted for £90 (Location NR31) or £70 Delivered
New RNS510F / H £650 Delivered / Cruise Control Supply and fit from £90

martin1977

martin1977

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • 2 Thanks
  • LocationAberdeen
Si, thanks again for the guide, cruise control fitted today with your help!!

Guest_robp_*

Guest_robp_*
  • Guests
  • Thanks
i so want the mk6 wheel in my car now looking at, looks more upto date than the mk5.  very good write up si

0-60Motorsports

0-60Motorsports

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • 0 Thanks
  • LocationBahrain
I feel the MK6 Steering wheel is a little better in qualaity than our R32 MK5 ones. I want one bad too but i'll probbaly do it if i come accross a bargain priced wheel with airbag.

golfi_vend

golfi_vend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 Thanks
  • LocationEstonia
Hello

Want to add MK6 steering, everythin else is sorted out, but what harness i need for airbag and MFSW module.

Seen 3 diffrent options, what is the correct one?
1K0-971-584-C
5K0-971-584-A
5K0-971-584-C

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • 44 Thanks
Garage View Garage
if your fitting the mk6 wheel either of the 5k0 numbers will do the job, 1k0 is for mk5 wheel

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

golfi_vend

golfi_vend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 Thanks
  • LocationEstonia
I thought so to. Just that ETKA shows 1k0 also for mk6.

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • 44 Thanks
Garage View Garage

View Postgolfi_vend, on 01 February 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

I thought so to. Just that ETKA shows 1k0 also for mk6.

Oh yeah so it does, but the pics on etka for 1k0 loom are mk5 wheel even for year 2014, where as the pics for the 5k0 numbers show mk6 wheel

annoyingly the PR numbers are no help either, stick with 5k0 :)

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

jaraz

jaraz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • 1 Thanks

View Postomcpero, on 23 November 2011 - 09:56 AM, said:

Hi, this might help someone doing the same transition I want to achieve.

I have 2006 Highline Passat with MFSW and have changed the current MK5 for MK6 (which came with 2009 Jetta, also has paddle shifters, previous did not).

After changing the wiring to 3C8971584A, the plug seems to be a bit different, pins look the same, but you have to struggle to fit it in. I have connected it to a new Airbag (the old MK5 airbag was dual stage, new MK6 is single-stage, which means I have an Airbag fault active).

Right now the MFSW does not initate, all the LED lightning in the MK6 wheel is not turned on.

I am unsure if any of these procedures will work, but I'll keep tring, the wheel has so much better ergonomics :/

First I will try using the "5K0971584A" wiring instead of "3C8971584A".

If that does not work I will probably change the steering wheel module. I have seen posts where module "1K0-953-549-CH" should be the most compatibile one, the problem is that VW service personnel states this module is not listed as Passat, but rather Golf module. Choosing module "3C0-953-549-AC" or "3C0-953-549-AJ" (depending the LIN type) might be better option (hope any of you have any experience here).

Your car is from 2006 , so you have dual igniter , if you use SW module revision AJ , you will end up with airbag fault . Because AJ module has 2 pins less ( which responsible for second igniter on the older modules) .
So you will have to solder missing pins  ( you can borow them from your old module) or solder resistor between 2 existing pins.
This is the pics :
Posted Image

AJ module :
Posted Image
Posted Image
Oo vv oO   Oo vv oO  "SKYLINE" RINGS/TAILS

EWR32

EWR32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Hi there- really sorry if this has been covered but what if I wanted to upgrade my steering wheel (mk5 multifunction with paddle shift) to the mk6 R steering wheel with the paddle shifts?

Will they still work? or any additional bits needed?

Cheers, Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users