Rust on my rear o/f arch worse than I thought !!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

TonyR32

TonyR32

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Just been out and looked at my rear o/s rear arch as I knew there was a little bit of rust coming through but now its worse so do I waste my time with VW or just get it done my self ???

Not a happy chap !!!!

thermalp4

thermalp4

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • 0 Thanks
I was going to say no don't bother but thinking about it i can't complain because i've just done quite well out of them.

Even though they declined my claim against the corrosion warranty they did pay 70% of the £1k+ bill to replace my tailgate so yeah I would go for it.

Take it to your nearest VW Bodyshop and get them to file a report.

Has it got full history?

TonyR32

TonyR32

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The thing is its going in some where else to have some other bits done as got a big scratch on n/s rear quarter so do I just get it done because how long does a claim take ?

thermalp4

thermalp4

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • 0 Thanks
I took mine somewhere else before it went in to VW to get the front bumper re-sprayed so don't worry about that.

Usually from the time you go in to the bodyshop to the time you get a response back from VW it's about 3-4 days.

Mine took longer because the guy handling my claim in my local VW went off on holiday and didn't tell me so it took 2 weeks but it didn't bother me cause I was waiting for pay day :).

I'd do it mate. You might get it paid for in full as it's only one panel. One thing they will look for though is if it's been painted before on that panel.

TonyR32

TonyR32

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • 1 Thanks

thermalp4 said:

I took mine somewhere else before it went in to VW to get the front bumper re-sprayed so don't worry about that.

Usually from the time you go in to the bodyshop to the time you get a response back from VW it's about 3-4 days.

Mine took longer because the guy handling my claim in my local VW went off on holiday and didn't tell me so it took 2 weeks but it didn't bother me cause I was waiting for pay day :).

I'd do it mate. You might get it paid for in full as it's only one panel. One thing they will look for though is if it's been painted before on that panel.

It hasnt been painted before as I got it checked by another body shop maybe I will try and see what they say I guess as worse is no lol

thermalp4

thermalp4

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Exactly. I'd try it.

You could price up the job elsewhere just to compare, so if you do have to pay anything you can see if it's worth VW doing it.

I contributed less than the price of a new tailgate for mine so it made sense for me.

lee_shep

lee_shep

• Members
  • 2076 posts
  • 10 Thanks

Donator

Hmm I've got a feeling they'll blame it on a stone chip! If they can find any reason to get out of it they will! Good luck though :)

TonyR32

TonyR32

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • 1 Thanks
In ideal world Id love them to do all the bits paint work wise but don't think I could afford their prices as not cheap lol

TonyR32

TonyR32

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Plus wayside the VW deal in M.K hasnt got the best reputation at all !

Stu32

Stu32

• Members
  • 658 posts
  • 6 Thanks
  • LocationNorth East
Garage View Garage
I went to VW to ask them to look at a bit of paintwork on mine and was told i would have to wait til the 2nd of August to have it assessed :motz:
I'll try another VW dealer and see if i have better luck.
It is shocking after care.
I took the wifes Ka to the Ford dealer and within two weeks the work was done, i've had bad customer care in the past from the Ford dealer in question, but on this occassion they were excellent.
Former MkV owner.....

TonyR32

TonyR32

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • 1 Thanks
I have a friend that works for V.A.G and just text me back not to even go to wayside !

Tristram

Tristram

• Members
  • 2046 posts
  • 2 Thanks
  • LocationStoke On Trent
Both my rear arches started to go but lucky for me I have a mate who owns a body shop so he did both of them and my boot lid just for the cost of the paint so I never had to bother with VW. It's always worth a shot going to VW with it, what have you got to lose?

TonyR32

TonyR32

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • 1 Thanks
See that's what I need a mate with a body shop lol
Wayside doesnt have a good reputation and been warned not to go there so I'll look for someone else to do it I think

toby9946

toby9946

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • 1 Thanks
  • LocationLondon/Hampshire
Just had both my front wings replaced and sprayed under warranty :D

Always worth a try!!
|| MK5 3 Door DBP, APR Stage 1, ITG Panel Filter, Blueflame Non Res ||

Posted Image

Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Both my front wings are shot too. Vw want nothing to do with me. It's an 06 plate like so not sure if it's too old now for warranty.

toby9946

toby9946

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • 1 Thanks
  • LocationLondon/Hampshire

Richo said:

Both my front wings are shot too. Vw want nothing to do with me. It's an 06 plate like so not sure if it's too old now for warranty.

Mines an 06 too and they coughed up.

If its not been repaired previously or its not been caused by a stone chip etc they should be covering it as its meant to be a 12 year warranty.

My advice would be try another VW dealer with an in-house body shop.
|| MK5 3 Door DBP, APR Stage 1, ITG Panel Filter, Blueflame Non Res ||

Posted Image

TonyR32

TonyR32

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • 1 Thanks
For me I'm a bit limited as wayside have the main bulk of VW dealerships but will have a google to see what I can find but running out of time with Inters coming up :(

ultimateauto

ultimateauto

• Members
  • 592 posts
  • 4 Thanks
Garage View Garage
Mine is in for warranty paint work as we speak.I took it in for the rust on front wings and rear quarters.Vw accepted the claim!The whole car bar bonnet roof and tailgate was set to be painted, so I've paid the extra to have it all done.Claim took about 4 days, my car has only been at vw for service work once before.This made no diference to my claim at all.

So it's worth a try ;)
www.rpmmalvern.co.uk

TonyR32

TonyR32

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • 1 Thanks

ultimateauto said:

Mine is in for warranty paint work as we speak.I took it in for the rust on front wings and rear quarters.Vw accepted the claim!The whole car bar bonnet roof and tailgate was set to be painted, so I've paid the extra to have it all done.Claim took about 4 days, my car has only been at vw for service work once before.This made no diference to my claim at all.

So it's worth a try ;)

I'll try them but not good a great reputation with their work in my area and wayside have the the dealerships .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users