- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Phil_T

Phil_T

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • 0 Thanks
As above since I got the car there is light surface rust on the bit between the back of the wheel & the disk brake its self. Does any other MK5 owner have this?? Also have any owner with a new Mk5 got this too??

If no to the above do you think VW would do anything about it??

Posted Image
MK5 VW Golf R32 3.2 V6 - Deep Pearl Blue, Leather, Brushed Aliminuim Mirrors

Wayne

Wayne

The Boss

• Administrators
  • 7818 posts
  • 12 Thanks
  • LocationUK

Donator

assuming you have washed the car since you got it and from experience on my mk4 this is normal. the discs are high carbon steel adfaik are untreated. the bell  of the discs will get hot and cold aswell as being washed with soaps and detergents, unlike the outer of the discs they are not in constant contact with an abrasive force so the discolouration cant be removed.

one technique is getting the discs powder coated, that way the part of the disc that is in contact with the pads will continue to wear as normal but the rest of the disc wont suffer from the discolouration.

Nelson_R32

Nelson_R32

.:R32OC R-Fest Events Co-ordinater/Organiser

• Members
  • 1744 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Phil_T said:

As above since I got the car there is light surface rust on the bit between the back of the wheel & the disk brake its self. Does any other MK5 owner have this?? Also have any owner with a new Mk5 got this too??

If no to the above do you think VW would do anything about it??

Phil, the reason the centre of the brake disc rusts is because the discs have high carbon content. High carbon content steel is heat resistant, durable, but tends to rust. It happens on any car but you tend to notice it more on bigger wheeled cars like ours.

It is not a fault of the car, it's a wear and tear part that just gets surface rust. VW won't do a thing about it because it's not a problem.

Stop panicking, start driving :wink:
The first rule of R32OC is you do not talk about resale values.

The second rule of R32OC is you do NOT talk about resale values!!

http://www.r32oc.com...ttach_type=full
www.r-fest.co.uk :driver:

Sad Nation

Sad Nation

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Garage View Garage
Yeah I do too but my old BMW had the same as well
MkV .:R32 '08 5 Door, DSG, Deep Blue Pearl (the fastest colour), Leather, Privacy Glass, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors.

• Mods: R32OC window sticker, R32 Keyfob upgrade, g1 Wiper Proof Glass Nano Coat, Private plate!
Car of the month September 2009 in cleanyourcar.co.uk

Posted Image

http://www.r32oc.com...w_vehicle&id=35

Phil_T

Phil_T

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • 0 Thanks
I know it normally happens on all cars but it is a brand new car so didnt expect it to happen straight away. Also the car has seemed to develop a sqeel at low speeds when stopping and its quite loud but doesnt do it every so often. I thought a stone might be trapped in there but ive gave it a good clean with the pressure washer & its still there. Any ideas to that too as I have read on here others have had it

Posted Image

Nelson_R32

Nelson_R32

• Members
  • 1744 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Mine squeels like a pig too sometimes in wet weather. Most likely just requires a little copper slip :smile:

JonnyG

JonnyG

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • 0 Thanks
It is quite common for Mk V to have rusty "bells".  My brand new R32 is just the same unfortunately.  Some people have managed to get their dealer to paint them (but not many, as VW reckon it's normal).

With regard to the squealing, have you checked nothing's trapped between the rear disks and the guard behind them ?  Give the guard a good bang and it may release a small stone or something.
Golf R  5dr  DSG  Rising Blue,  March 2010, 19" Silver Talladegas, Cruise, RCD510
Posted Image

Rhys

Rhys

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • 0 Thanks
My bell is slightly discoloured and rusty too, I will be hammeriting the centre hub too! get it all nice silver :]
:creep:................:sheep:

Nelson_R32

Nelson_R32

• Members
  • 1744 posts
  • 0 Thanks
So, the cure is to give your bell a good hard banging and it may release something...?

:idea:

davefish

davefish

.:R32OC Site Contributor

• .:R32OC Contributor
  • 2546 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Spray on some very slightly acidic wheel cleaner liquid then go for a short blast with heavy braking. Hey presto, shiney new discs :biggrin:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Pictures of R32's with aftermarket alloys @ my site: alloywheelfinder.com

Phil_T

Phil_T

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • 0 Thanks

JonnyG said:

It is quite common for Mk V to have rusty "bells".  My brand new R32 is just the same unfortunately.  Some people have managed to get their dealer to paint them (but not many, as VW reckon it's normal).

With regard to the squealing, have you checked nothing's trapped between the rear disks and the guard behind them ?  Give the guard a good bang and it may release a small stone or something.

Ah good so its not just my brand new one that has them, I will have a check of the rears but it did sound like the front pass side where the noise was coming from

Rhys said:

My bell is slightly discoloured and rusty too, I will be hammeriting the centre hub too! get it all nice silver :]

Good thinking, eithier that or I might get them powercoated

Nelson_R32 said:

Mine squeels like a pig too sometimes in wet weather. Most likely just requires a little copper slip :smile:

Do I have to take the brakes apart to apply the cooper slip??

Posted Image

Phil_T

Phil_T

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • 0 Thanks

davefish said:

Spray on some very slightly acidic wheel cleaner liquid then go for a short blast with heavy braking. Hey presto, shiney new discs :biggrin:

Haha will it actually brake??

Posted Image

Wayne

Wayne

The Boss

• Administrators
  • 7818 posts
  • 12 Thanks
  • LocationUK

Donator

Nelson_R32 said:

So, the cure is to give your bell a good hard banging and it may release something...?

:idea:

wondered how long that would take lol :D

JonnyG

JonnyG

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • 0 Thanks

davefish said:

I think the OP is on about the "bells" rather than the discs ?

Posted Image
Golf R  5dr  DSG  Rising Blue,  March 2010, 19" Silver Talladegas, Cruise, RCD510
Posted Image

Nelson_R32

Nelson_R32

• Members
  • 1744 posts
  • 0 Thanks
What can I say; 23 going on 12 :bird:

DSGlee

DSGlee

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • 0 Thanks
I've had it on both my MK V's and my E92 coupe.  BMW dealer suggested painting with silver hammerite, I did and have now had the BMW 18months, its worked.
Formerly MK V 3.2 V6, Black Pearl effect, DSG, Paddle shift, Window tints, Winter Pack now 08 Ed30 Reflex Silver 5 Door DSG, Full Options Pack, Tracker. Occasional use of Son's Mk IV R32

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JonnyG

JonnyG

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • 0 Thanks
A few links to previous threads on both of your problems   :idea:

My rusty bits - Tyresmoke Forums

screaching from back wheels
Posted Image

Phil_T

Phil_T

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • 0 Thanks
Thanks, & yes I was on about rusty bells haha

Posted Image

andysR32

andysR32

• Members
  • 1838 posts
  • 0 Thanks

Rhys said:

Rhys leave the sheep alone and go see a doctor..lmao:biggrin:
AndysR32 JBS-TS650

Posted Image

Andys/JBS Video Link!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users