VW Golf R32 Forum banner

New Dampers or change over to coilovers for R32 Mk4?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  React73 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm finding the ride on my R32 Mk4 a bit rough and was wondering what's best to do, new dampers or change over to coilovers? The car's done 63k miles and has the original springs and dampers.

I was going to change the dampers for Bilstein B8 Sprints:

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/golfmk4/bilstein-b8-sprint-damper-shock-absorber-kit-golf-4-2-8-v6-4motion-r32-3-2-v6-01-99

Or the AP coilovers:

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/golfmk4/ap-coilovers-volkswagen-golf-mk4-4motion

I'm not bothered too much about the ability to lower the car, I just want a nice ride from the car. Nothing else is wrong as all the bushes etc were changed for oem when I bought the car.

One other thing, The aluminium spacer/washer on the oem dampers, (the one that can cause creaking), can this be thrown away if I use the Bilstein dampers?

Cheers for any feedback

Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
Morning Mark.

From a comfort perspective there shouldn't be much difference between matched springs and dampers or coilovers.

Bilstein are a very comfortable shock I find with my coilovers, probably on a par with Oem if not slightly improved.

#3 ·
In my experience......

I have the b8 dampers, they are a shortened shock to use with lowering springs, so you will need new springs as well. I use H&R dprings. I'd say the ride quality is the same as stock but it handles much better. If want to use your stock springs bilstien get the b4's which are a stock replacement or the b6's which are a sport damper like the b8's but for stock ride hight. If you want coilovers which handle as well as these shocks do you will be looking at £800+.

Before you shell out on new suspension I'd check your bushes first as I'm pretty sure your OE setup should last longer than 60k odd

#6 ·
I was recommended by Star Performance in Fife to use the B8's with the standard springs, as the standard springs are Bilstein lowering springs already.

I spoke to another garage today and was swaying toward the AP coilovers....the other problem I have is the creaky noise I get now and again from the aluminium washer seizing under the top mount. If I go coilover then that problem will vanish.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.