VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had the pleasure of a day's owndership of a BMW 316d. First things first, the woman who rented it to me at Enterprise, kept on referring to it as a 2 litre. Have I missed something here?!?!? Still she upgraded me from a Vauxhall at no extra charge so thought I would give it a go.

After working out how to start the fooker and then get it into reverse my initial impressions were that it wasnt THAT slow. But then I added passengers and luggage and drove to a wedding.

A lot of the journey was on familiar roads, so striking, felt like a boat around the bends/roundabouts but smoother over the bumps. Then there's the lack of power, figured a diesel would at least have some torque. In this case if there was any I struggled to find it, dropping down for hills that didnt exist before. I have quite literally never spent so much time with the accelerator fully depressed in a car.

I will say in its defence it was reasonably comfortable and my god its frugal with fuel, I managed to do 230 odd miles in a little more than a quarter of a tank. And thats with queues for the Dartford crossing in both directions. If you want a car that realistically you're going to have trouble breaking the 60 or 70 limit in, but yet will try and sneak you over the 30 or 40 limit without you noticing (due to a soft civilised ride), this is the car for you.

That said, on the quieter stretch of the journey home, I did manage to nail a couple of vehicles with well timed overtaking maneuvers on the twisties. For a second I started to enjoy driving it, as every move you make, you have to make count. But still the handing back of the keys will be pleasurable. I know its not a true representation due to time of day travelled but, I travelled from Eastbourne to the Dartford crossing (60 miles) in the time I can do Eastbourne to Cambridge (same route) on a good run (125miles). Turns out a little bit of power helps the war against average road speed.

I knew taking out a hire car would make me appreciate my R but I truly had no idea, its easy when you dont drive anything else to forget just how lucky you are. So thank you R32, and thank you R32oc. Its a good place to be!

Just done this search, it is a 2l then is it? I thought the first digit represented the series, then the next two the engine size.... WTF?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-series/18749/bmw-316d

From a driver that got his first "move out of my way flash" today, thanks for reading my diatribe. After so long in a car full of lightly pissed snoozers, I really felt I had to vent.

3,542 Posts
Yeah I'd ave thought it was a 1.6. I had a 320 se touring edition before I got gizmo. Hated it, bored me and turned no heads. I'm drunk.
Miss tipsy !

18,487 Posts
These days you can't rely on the last 2 digits to tell you the capacity. For example the 135 has a 3 litre engine

Reactions: Tristram

· Registered
2,809 Posts
Good write up buddy! I sometimes drive my old tddi focus my mum has now and my god it is so slow. Find myself literally bored to tears driving it and stepping back into the r32 feels like I've won the lottery!

That's what I say to anyone on here bored with their r32 drive a lesser car!! Absence makes the heart grow fonder!!!

2,712 Posts
my cousins wife bmw is a 123 coupe and has a 3.0 straight6 lol... 218bhp

· Registered
321 Posts
Driving something else does make you appreciate your R more! I did 70 miles just this sunday in a 1960s double deck bus for a charity a mate is chairman of.

Vacuum brakes (crap), synchromesh on third and fourth only making downchanges a pig, no power steering and a massive loud oil burner right next to you!

I was absolutely worn out by the end of it and driving home in my R felt like heaven!

· Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Miss Gizmo drunk.... move on, nothing to see here

Think it's strange BMW should do away with what really is a simple effective way of denoting it's motors. Guess it's a money issue, the link I posted says it's a detuned 2l. So presumably they save money by just sticking different versions of the engine out in different guises.

Guy at Enterprise seemed surprised when I said it was good on fuel but woefully under powered ha ha.

The car had no driver involvement, no feed back, no driver integration. When you get into the R you feel like part of something. Hope not all brand new cars are like this. Goes to show that people that think the age of the car is the definitive factor, don't have a Scooby Do.

· Registered
321 Posts
Driving something else does make you appreciate your R more! I did 70 miles just this sunday in a 1960s double deck bus for a charity a mate is chairman of.

Vacuum brakes (crap), synchromesh on third and fourth only making downchanges a pig, no power steering and a massive loud oil burner right next to you!

I was absolutely worn out by the end of it and driving home in my R felt like heaven!
From this into a golf! Basic or what?!

2,364 Posts
my cousins wife bmw is a 123 coupe and has a 3.0 straight6 lol... 218bhp
123 is also a 2.0l

BMW capable cars and best diesel variants IMO

192 Posts
It's all about company tax brackets..

So the 2litre Diesel engine has 1.6/1.8/2.0/2.3 Diesel variations... (All 2.0litres)... The boost and or single turbo are the options... If you stumble on a 123D don't even try it unles you have FI under the bonnet it will embarass you badly...

The 316d is all about getting £0 car tax and making it cheaper... (skinny whellies etc... also you'll have had the eco set up active and etc etc etc..)

If you have a go of the other cars you will be shocked as the 320d is some 184BHP standard and really does shove along fully loaded on motorways very well indeedie..

I have to say the current/last 3 series car with a Diesel is one of the best cars I've ever driven and we have shed loads on the fleet. They cost the same as an Insignia (On the company car lists)..Plus they work exceptionally well as rep mobiles..

The trick is to get one MSport (suspension and map alterations) and as big an engine as possible.

If you check the figures the Diesels out perform most of the petrol cars now... 335D v M3... you'd be shocked....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.