VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a MK5 R32 I've found one with all of my ideal spec options but its really high miles, at least thats what i tell myself, in your experience what should i be careful of, and what should i be looking for?

Thanks! Ash.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
firstly - who can afford to put 170k on one of these now! filled up yesterday - £105 and lucky to get 300 miles!

anyone, thats a nice looking car. the wing backs are worth £2k swap for normal seats.

but at that miles I'd want the chains doing. if its being serviced every 12 months, and the dog/haldex done every 40k or 5 years I suppose you could take a punt. the engines are strong but it should be on its original suspension at that miles - I've just done mine at 90k.

if its local go drive it and see how it feels. i'd get them to lose the phone kit inside too. looks a bit 2010.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
firstly - who can afford to put 170k on one of these now! filled up yesterday - £105 and lucky to get 300 miles!

anyone, thats a nice looking car. the wing backs are worth £2k swap for normal seats.

but at that miles I'd want the chains doing. if its being serviced every 12 months, and the dog/haldex done every 40k or 5 years I suppose you could take a punt. the engines are strong but it should be on its original suspension at that miles - I've just done mine at 90k.

if its local go drive it and see how it feels. i'd get them to lose the phone kit inside too. looks a bit 2010.
Haha fuel at the minute is crazy! I am a bit jubious about it all to be honest, I really want a sunroof but there are very few cars with one for sale... everything else can be added after but I don't want to cut a hole in my roof . May go and give it a feel, I imagine it's been looked after and it says jt has history but like you say it's all very dependant!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a MK5 R32 I've found one with all of my ideal spec options but its really high miles, at least thats what i tell myself, in your experience what should i be careful of, and what should i be looking for?

Thanks! Ash.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
both of them are significantly better than the first.

dont be put off by high owners and a short ownership period if its being well looked after. a lot of people buy these scratch an itch, along as they look after them its fine. usually they spend a lot in a short period of time. the previous owner of mine only had it for 6 months.

comes down to price. the blue one is better but almost £2k more. will hold its money better tho, depends how many miles ur putting on it.

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
805 Posts
If you can, go and try them . You will be able to tell a lot from seeing each one up close, driving each one and talking to the owner . Mileage on its own does not have to be a deal breaker , but at 170k, you may need to budget for a cam chain swap.

·
42 Posts
I've got a MK4 on 160,000 - I'm the 2nd owner and I bet it feels better than a lot of the MK4's on 80-100k because in the last 2 years I've spent 10k replacing brakes/suspension and getting the chains/clutch/flywheel and all the bushes and plastic pipes and brake lines replaced. As others have said, regardless of car if it's been looked after the mileage shouldn't really be an issue aside from the wear on the interior potentially but I've got new clocks and a refurbed steering wheel and no-one's been in the rear of mine, drivers seat needs some love soon though.

Good luck finding the right one, take your time and put additional monies aside for the fuel while you hunt it down :cool:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm just about to post an ad to sell my DPB mk5. Mine's on 142k. Let me know if you're interested. It's no longer cost efficient to have it as my daily. Highly likely I will be px'ing it soon but would rather sell it privately.

·
South East Organiser
6,832 Posts
The miles covered are irrelevant if the car has been properly looked after, it will be ok. Just have a drive of a high miler and make your own decision :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have you checked the classified section in this forum?
There are a few MK5's for sale with less mileage, and I would suggest that you are more likely to get one that has been well looked after (we are enthusiasts on a forum about these specific cars after all).

I am of course not saying that anything on AutoTrader isn't worth looking at, but at least have a look in the Vehicles For Sale section if you haven't already.

Disclaimer
Mine is up for sale in there but that is not my reason for suggesting you look there; there are a few lovely examples to choose from depending on your preferences.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts