VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all , with regard to my post yesterday concerning spacers, can anyone throw any light on how much gap there should be between the tyre and the front strut, i fitted my new rims and tyres yesterday and noticed that the tyre seems very close to the suspension strut,whilst they are not rubbing ( i have driven up and down the access road to my garage which is very uneven ) and it seems ok and the supplier assured me that there would be no problems i would like to know if possible from anyone who has got 19" rims fitted as i would prefer not to fit spacers Thanks Chaps Bill

·
4,328 Posts
Hiya bill,
do you have the mkiv or mkv?

i have 19s and fiftypence used to/has 19s, and i wouldnt worry as is it dosnt touch on both full locks then you wil be fine:)

·
1,432 Posts
I have 19s as Pomme mentioned above and when I originally received them (a few years ago now) I tried to fit them but found that they rub on the coilover strut so I had to then order some spacers before I could even drive with the wheels on. I got 5mm spacers and thought all was well until a few months ago (a few years after having first fitted the wheels) and found I had a flat tyre.
I thought it was just a nail or something but it turned out the wheel had still been so close to the coilover strut despite the 5mm spacer that it had carved a huge long gap in the tyre on the sidewall. A gap so huge that tyreweld was no use at all I could fit my hand through the gap which had been carved.
So I then decided it was about time to fit the 10mm spacers I had on the front and now everything seems fine I have plenty of room between the coilover strut and the wheel/tyre.

It all depends on the offset, I have no idea for certain what the offset of my wheels are I just assume they must be the correct offset for the MkIV Golf as I purchased them for my MkIV Golf from AmD Technik back in 2003-2004. The wheels are listed on their website as being suitable for the MkIV Golf so surely they wouldnt supply wheels which are the wrong offset. Still, they certainly were not a straight fit as I had to put spacers on.

·
4,328 Posts
Bloody hell fifty that doesnt sound good.

But as you mentioned it all depends on the wheel as my lms or millie miglias dont/didnt touch.

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers boys i think i will have to go for a long ride and take the wheels off to check this is somewhat worrying methinks !

·
1,432 Posts
The thing is, when driving along you may only notice if there is considerable rubbing however I went for years with slight rubbing which ultimately resulted in a flat tyre and only then did I realise the problem.

I think a good way to check is set your steering on full lock left or right and reach a hand in behind the wheel and 'feel' for a gap between the wheel/tyre and the suspension strut. If there is no gap then you should get some spacers but if there is a gap of around 5-7mm this is enough clearance.

As mentioned above I still find it very odd that I was sold wheels which require spacers to fit properly on the front as they should have come with the correct offset from the manufacturer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts