VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, car is due its first service as its just passed the 10k mile mark. Quite suprised when the service light came on as I was under the impression it was on long life.

I've requested that the garage change me on to long life servicing - is this wise?

Also, my brake warning light came on yesterday - apparently means my pads are worn - after 10k i don't think so?! Has anyone had experience/heard of any faults regarding this? To say i'm getting pissed of with the amount of things that have gone with this car is an understatement....:angry::angry:

·
6,197 Posts
NO TOO LONG LIFE!!! Oil is only good for MAX 6k.....then starts to break down turns to treacle and coats the rest of the engine....20k is just crazy in my opinion!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Slapbladder said:
NO TOO LONG LIFE!!! Oil is only good for MAX 6k.....then starts to break down turns to treacle and coats the rest of the engine....20k is just crazy in my opinion!
I agree. When I bought mine from vee dub they told the service would be every 20k but as Slapbladder says its far to long to expect your oil to last.

·
211 Posts
i bought mine from vw and got it changed from longlife to 10k service intervals .... didnt fancy my car not being checked over once every 10k / 12 months etc

·
Senior Onion collector
4,512 Posts
My Mk5 has 13,000 + miles-also on the long life service, oil was changed at 10k but when checking the dipstick it dosn't really look that clean / see through- enquired at local VW for an oil change(the service tech advised long life oil only, as timing chain rattle may occur!!?) and the cost was £125!!!

Am I better just changing every 5k?

Can anyone advise on best oil for frequent changes and also spark plugs?

Cheers
Daz

·
5,499 Posts
Long life oil can last upto 20,000 miles under good running conditions. Most cars set to long life seem to require servicing around 15-18k miles from what I've read on forums.

I personally change oil every 10k, sometimes sooner, but I really think it's a bit overkill. It's piece of mind for me, as I intend to keep the car for many years to come.

If you're not someone to keep the car for more than a few years, then I really really don't think it's worth while to change oil any sooner - the car isn't exactly gonna blow up or cause any issues at all. Atleast not this side of 100,000 miles. Think about it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts