VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it plain rude for them to hog the lane so much that you cant pass until other side is clear?

What's the etiquette?

Passed a queue of 8 cars going other way and at the front of the queue was 2 middle aged lycra clad farts on bikes and i felt sorry for the drivers.

I find it really annoying.

Then mile later a group of 5 cyclists doing same thing in a huddle!!

Almost makes me want to GTA them all Gouranga style! lol

·
2,803 Posts
Double points!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
3,281 Posts
I usually find a clutch dip and a bounce off the limiter sorts them out!

In something Turbo'd running big power this is usually proceeded by a massive backfire and 5 foot flame which melts said lycra!! Lol

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Dudes in Lycra yuck. Never catch me in that!

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Wait what's Under Armour made out of?

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
As far as i know, the general rule is, they are supposed to ride single file at all times unless the road is wide enough to accommodate them in double file safely. But as we know, most of them throw this courtesy out the window. It bugs me too..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Single file is what i was taught.

My major problem with cyclists is the fact they barely use specially built cycle lanes yet moan that road user dont give them enough space?!? Want space sod off onto thepiece of tarmac that was built for you! If you wont use it i will

Or cyclists on single track roads who expect me to stop or drive around them, when i was a kid on the bike and we saw a car id always make sure i stopped asap and let it go past! Now every cyclist i see seems to believe they have some right to keep cycling and force me off road / stop

Rant over

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
3,281 Posts
I checked this on the Highway Code not too long ago, there is now law governing this at all.

It all comes down to etiquette, road sense and safety - three things many cyclists seem to be lacking these days.

Quick story - did you know cyclists don't need to indicate or give way on a roundabout to the right?

I didn't know that until some wisefucking guy Bradley Wiggins wannabe tried educating me as to the rules of the Highway Code a few weeks ago when he cut directly I front of me on a mini roundabout without giving way or indicating.

Reason was, he was in the 'right turn only' lane approaching the said roundabout, not the straight ahead lane on the left. In actual fact I think he was riding the white line, none the less, that means you don't need to give way or indicate apparently!

So after the manoeuvre occurred, and was followed by an expletive and hand gesture from Mr Tggins, he preceded to lecture me on the rules of the road, so I turned round and promptly positioned my vehicle in front of his and got out of the car and I asked him to remove his lovely Giro helmet, upon asking why I said so I didn't damage it when I knock him out.

Funny how people aren't so knowledgeable when confronted fact to face - it was at this point he would have given Bradley Wiggins a run for his money!!!!

·
Semi-Advanced Member
4,197 Posts
Round my way they ride in a 'Tour De France Pack' makes me wish I had a 30.cal mounted on my R and a homicidal passenger...

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
I checked this on the Highway Code not too long ago, there is now law governing this at all.

It all comes down to etiquette, road sense and safety - three things many cyclists seem to be lacking these days.

Quick story - did you know cyclists don't need to indicate or give way on a roundabout to the right?

I didn't know that until some wisefucking guy Bradley Wiggins wannabe tried educating me as to the rules of the Highway Code a few weeks ago when he cut directly I front of me on a mini roundabout without giving way or indicating.

Reason was, he was in the 'right turn only' lane approaching the said roundabout, not the straight ahead lane on the left. In actual fact I think he was riding the white line, none the less, that means you don't need to give way or indicate apparently!

So after the manoeuvre occurred, and was followed by an expletive and hand gesture from Mr Tggins, he preceded to lecture me on the rules of the road, so I turned round and promptly positioned my vehicle in front of his and got out of the car and I asked him to remove his lovely Giro helmet, upon asking why I said so I didn't damage it when I knock him out.

Funny how people aren't so knowledgeable when confronted fact to face - it was at this point he would have given Bradley Wiggins a run for his money!!!!
Cyclist don't have to give way to the right? Who the fk made up that rule? Sounds the most stupid rule I've ever heard. It's like saying to a motorcyclist he can drive down the motorway the wrong way and people will avoid him... If a cyclist rides straight across a mini roundabout he's getting knocked off. Even if all people were very good, observant drivers the cyclist isn't going to be safe as people just don't look to the left as much as the right. Fact is most people don't have a clue at mini roundabouts anyway, let alone remembering cyclist can do whatever they like lol

P.S maybe Mark Cavendish might have been a better comparison as he's a sprinter
. Made me laugh anyway

·
193 Posts
It does my nut in!!!! They think they own the road when they ride side by side.....
It's dangerous and inconsiderate to other road users, just because their bored and want to chat.
Get rid of your bikes and skin tight leggings, and get an R32!!!!!!

You'll have a lot more fun....

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Haha here I am, devil's advocate....

I love my road bike and my expensive Italian lycra, I love my R32 as well! These things can exist in perfect harmony as I am proof.

As for cycling two abreast, there is nothing illegal about it all though I don't do it myself. When I ride I keep as far as I can away from cars. I am on cycling forums too, so see the other side of the coin threads too. In fact, only last night I was witness to some terrible driving twice whilst out on my bike. This time of year brings all the mongs back out onto the roads during the rush hour. The cycling forums argument for grouping up and taking a presence on the road is that it forces the cars to be patient and pass them when it's deemed safe to do so. But I am sure a little of it is also pig headedness, an attitute being sent out that motor vehicles don't own the road.

It is so easy for both to get around in peace. I understand that there are sh!t cyclists and the same goes for drivers. It's all about observation from both parties followed by the courtesy to give each other road space. Cars need to realise how vulnerable cyclists are and just give them a little bit of thought. On the same rationale, cyclists need to keep their wits about them and stay out of the way of all other road users.

When driving and I see cyclists on the road, I make damn sure I position myself in such a way that they are always left with ample space be it I'm moving past them or at a standstill. When I'm cycling I do my upmost to ensure that my being there causes no inconvenience to motor vehicles. It really isnt that hard.

As long as both parties are observant and give each other room, there should be no problems.

Last thing, the old "who pays road tax" from the drivers is the biggest pile of bollocks. Winston Churchill started the abolition of road tax in 1926, it was finally abolished in 1937. Money from VED does not go on the roads, the upkeep of roads is paid by other forms of taxation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

·
Registered
977 Posts
Haha here I am, devil's advocate....

I love my road bike and my expensive Italian lycra, I love my R32 as well! These things can exist in perfect harmony as I am proof.

As for cycling two abreast, there is nothing illegal about it all though I don't do it myself. When I ride I keep as far as I can away from cars. I am on cycling forums too, so see the other side of the coin threads too. In fact, only last night I was witness to some terrible driving twice whilst out on my bike. This time of year brings all the mongs back out onto the roads during the rush hour. The cycling forums argument for grouping up and taking a presence on the road is that it forces the cars to be patient and pass them when it's deemed safe to do so. But I am sure a little of it is also pig headedness, an attitute being sent out that motor vehicles don't own the road.

It is so easy for both to get around in peace. I understand that there are sh!t cyclists and the same goes for drivers. It's all about observation from both parties followed by the courtesy to give each other road space. Cars need to realise how vulnerable cyclists are and just give them a little bit of thought. On the same rationale, cyclists need to keep their wits about them and stay out of the way of all other road users.

When driving and I see cyclists on the road, I make damn sure I position myself in such a way that they are always left with ample space be it I'm moving past them or at a standstill. When I'm cycling I do my upmost to ensure that my being there causes no inconvenience to motor vehicles. It really isnt that hard.

As long as both parties are observant and give each other room, there should be no problems.

Last thing, the old "who pays road tax" from the drivers is the biggest pile of bollocks. Winston Churchill started the abolition of road tax in 1926, it was finally abolished in 1937. Money from VED does not go on the roads, the upkeep of roads is paid by other forms of taxation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438
Also speaking as a cyclist (albeit a proper one not a gay roadie
) you're right about stupid people in cars hence the reason I stay off road.... Doesn't matter how good you are on a bike on the road.... You can't account for other people's stupidity. At least if I die I'll have probably killed myself

On the flip side, the amount of roadies I see without helmets, jumping lights, under taking, overtaking you name it, they deserve knocking off frankly...

·
165 Posts
See it all the time around me, tends to be small country lanes or B roads and you come round a courner and find a huddle of 8 or so of them taking up most of the road.

Unfortuntly its one of those things that will never get any attention until a large group all get mown down and killed and only then someone might think that riding single file should be added to the highway code, as lets face it this wasnt such a problem 5-10 years ago as far fewer were interested in cycling.

·
Registered
977 Posts
See it all the time around me, tends to be small country lanes or B roads and you come round a courner and find a huddle of 8 or so of them taking up most of the road.

Unfortuntly its one of those things that will never get any attention until a large group all get mown down and killed and only then someone might think that riding single file should be added to the highway code, as lets face it this wasnt such a problem 5-10 years ago as far fewer were interested in cycling.
Give it til November and the tour de France wannabe, fair weather cyclists will all be inside anyways and their carbon gear will be all over eBay lol

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Haha im a fair weather cyclist. my CF kit wont be on Ebay in November though. I just take the training in doors over the Winter.

It is a concern, coming round a bend to find a big group of slow moving cyclists. But then it could be argued if we cant stop in that situation, we were going too fast in the first place.

·
165 Posts
Haha im a fair weather cyclist. my CF kit wont be on Ebay in November though. I just take the training in doors over the Winter.

It is a concern, coming round a bend to find a big group of slow moving cyclists. But then it could be argued if we cant stop in that situation, we were going too fast in the first place.
Yeah this is very true! But im sure no one on here is ever going too fast!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I never listen to anyone slating cyclists for running lights and using any inch of the road. Unless the driver (of any car) can honeslty hand on his heart say he/she doesn't break any laws including speeding when driving.

In short............ unlikely.

For me, if I get a parping from a car, I see it that I have pushed it too far. I cycle hard, I cycle quickly.... this year ive probably been bibbed a few times. My bike is meticulously maintained, I am fit and observant.... I think drivers don't distinguish between foreign students listening to music with no road sense on death traps and proper cyclists that have been doing it for years.

Do we on here not think we are obliged too push it once and a while on the 'public highway' because we have relatively quick cars? That we all keep maintained to an OCD like level? With a perhaps sometimes inflated opinion of our own driving skills?

If so, how is this any different to a guy on a bike making progress, when the cars around him are moving more slowly than he is?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts