VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi all,

Now I know this is going to sound a little controversial but, I'll asked the question anyway. Are 200 cell cats really worth fitting over the stock items on a Mk5? Or more specifically, 200 cell cats with nice consistently sized pipe work before and after the cats?

Looking at the stock front pipes, up to the cats, the pipe work is nicely formed and consistent in size. After the cats, there look to be some other pieces just thrown in for god only knows what reason. Whether they affect flow, who knows.

A nice example of comparison here. (Thanks Lucifer).

For reference, the other mods on the car are:

'Performance' cat back exhaust system (to be fitted)
Custom R-Tech remap (to be done)

If we're talking about less that 10bhp/ ftlbs of twist, I can't see it's worth the effort myself?!

Cheers,

Paul

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
Just to help out below is the Mk5 down pipe i sell with 200 cell cats fitted.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Go for the cheaper / better sounding option of decat imo
I should make it clear that cost isn't the issue. If I do buy a set of 200 cell front pipes, they will be from Lucifer and his are positively cheap.
If I went for decats, the initial fitting is still the same but, I'd have to change them every year at MOT time too. I got fed up of doing that on my last car and that was a simple job that took 20 minutes. It's not simple to do on the R32 thus, I cannot be arsed with decats!

Paul

·
2,097 Posts
Yes in my opinion it is well worth getting 200cell cats fitted. Look at it this way, most standard cats have around 650million cells thus making it harder for gasses to pass through, 200million cells = gasses passing through quicker, this is good ???? and still legal. Sounds amazon too!
I have read a decat can actually not be beneficial to a NA car because of pressure loss.

Very happy with lucifers products too, great stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

G

·
Yes in my opinion it is well worth getting 200cell cats fitted. Look at it this way, most standard cats have around 650million cells thus making it harder for gasses to pass through, 200million cells = gasses passing through quicker, this is good ???? and still legal. Sounds amazon too!
I have read a decat can actually not be beneficial to a NA car because of pressure loss.

Very happy with lucifers products too, great stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Agreed ^^^^^

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
As Above decat it's cheaper and lets the car breath as it should

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Jacko said:
If u decat it don't u have the hassle of changing it back at the MOT
I don't

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, some opinions so far. Are there any hard facts with the application in mind specifically?

And once again, I'm not interested in decatting. Been there, done that, can't be arsed now, especially on this car!

To clear up the back pressure issue, there isn't one. Exhaust back pressure on a modern engine is not beneficial in anyway in fact, it is very much detrimental. The whole argument about 'loss' of low end torque is fictitious too. Nothing is lost, the torque curve just moves up and to the right as back pressure reduces.
That being said, fitting the largest bore pipe you can isn't advantageous either. The key with exhaust system performance is gas speed. Google 'exhaust scavenging' if you're interested.

Paul

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
Lucifer, how much is the down pipes with sports cats, might be wanting that very soon
Mk5 de-cats are £270 delivered and 200 cell sports cats as pictured above are £470 delivered.

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
As you just said less back pressure the better. A standard cat will cause more back pressure then a 200 cell cat therefore the car will produce less power. Is it worth the money is a very personal question that only each person can answer.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As you just said less back pressure the better. A standard cat will cause more back pressure then a 200 cell cat therefore the car will produce less power. Is it worth the money is a very personal question that only each person can answer.
I think I convinced myself a couple of posts after I started this thread.
I'm one those people who believes every little helps and I know I'd kick myself for not doing it. It's probably worth taking into account that the stock cats are 7 years old now too, even though they've only seen 34k miles..
I noticed that you stated in another thread that you'll have one Mk5 front pipe with 200 cell cats this week. I'll take it if you've not already sold it. I'll pm you anyway...

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts