VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. I am brand new to the forums. My first post. I just got a brand new 2008 R32 and have a question about noise under acceleration.

The engine sounds smooth unless I really tromp on the gas. When I do an odd "metal on metal" rattling noise seems to come from somewhere. It almost sounds like valve chatter but I can only hear it under very hard acceleration. Does anyone else hear this type of thing? It sounds like a piece of thin metal..maybe a metal plate over a piece of exhaust rattling under vibraton but the noise is very in line with what the engine is doing. Any info is appreciated.

·
1,084 Posts
I find the 24v VR6 engine has a metallic rasp when compared to the old 12v engine. Just a characteristic.

It's probably worth checking the heat shields under the car around the exhaust tubing, just for peace of mind.

As the car is brand new, you may also notice some burning smell like plastic, this is the exhaust sound deadening material in the back box just bedding in.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Difficult to say without hearing it.

As above tho its common for the heat shield to come loose so that would be my first guess.

Next would maybe be a loose clamp or baffle in the exhaust.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
595 Posts
Interesting forum name! Can you record the sound and post a link on here?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi WOAPH. The standard exhaust definitely has a "metallic" character on full throttle and is also valved.

I've noticed that character is less pronounced now that I've had the Miltek exhaust fitted. As others have said, just check the heatshields are nice and tight underneath but this is likely to be totally normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not "character" Apparently what it is is a heat shield of shields that rattle. Ive been on other forms and almost every R32 says that have the same issue. On some, once the exhaust has warmed up it is less pronounced. Its at its worst on a cold car. So now the question is, the problem has been found but the VW techs couldnt find it apparently. I think they know what it is but are covering up the known problem so they dont have to fix it. How do we get VW to fix this then?

·
887 Posts
The heat shield around my exhaust was loose and rattled under certain circumstances, it took a couple of trips to VW to get them to fix it but they did eventually.

Just tell them that you know it's a common problem with the MKV R and you want the shielding fixed/replaces under warranty.

Hope you get it sorted because I know how annoying it is!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alex_123_fra said:
Hi WOAPH. The standard exhaust definitely has a "metallic" character on full throttle and is also valved.

I've noticed that character is less pronounced now that I've had the Miltek exhaust fitted. As others have said, just check the heatshields are nice and tight underneath but this is likely to be totally normal.
Alex thanks for the reply. If you dont mind me asking what do you do for a living. You got some nice cars and another really nice one on order. Youve got me thinking I should change careers. :cool:

No need to answer if its too personal a question.

·
2,808 Posts
Hes a pimp. Or a gigalo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive talked to the VW guys I bought my car from (thanks Jay) as well as the techs who have worked on it and all have said that because other R32s make this noise "its normal". I dont agree with this of course. Just because all cars of a certain make burst into flames after 500 miles or so, doesnt make it "normal". In any case, this is their way of telling me they are not going to fix it. I showed them some form threads of others complaining and others who wre able to get theirs fixed but this was of no help.

I believe this is a quality issue concerning VW. I called VW directly and logged a formal complaint telling them that I do not believe a new car should rattle like this. I can only suggest that anyone else who gets this noise call and do the same. If you do they may realize they have a real issue that needs to be addressed and direct the mechanics to fix it. If you are interested call the VW customer support center at 1-800-822-8987 . You will need to have your VIN number to give them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Matthew said:
Hello,

The noise sounds to me like 'pinking' try using 98 Octane fuel instead of 95?

It may help.
Ok, I am sure the noise I hear is not "pinking" and is a rattle at higher rpms. Also, where I live the absolute best fuel we can get from a pump is 93 octane. :frustrated:

·
347 Posts
Wolf On A Pale Horse said:
Ok, I am sure the noise I hear is not "pinking" and is a rattle at higher rpms. Also, where I live the absolute best fuel we can get from a pump is 93 octane. :frustrated:
I think the "raspiness" at high revs is a characteristic of the exhaust - I like the sound. :D

Check out this You Tube video:

Mine sounds just the same... is yours different?

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
595 Posts
SilverChariot said:
I think the "raspiness" at high revs is a characteristic of the exhaust - I like the sound. :D

Check out this You Tube video:

Mine sounds just the same... is yours different?
Sounds the same here although the guy in the youtube video wants to be doing that when the engine is warmed up though. :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This noise goes away completely when its raining. There for it is not the sound of the engine. Its something else. It may be a heat shield but I am having a hard time understanding why and how just because the ground it wet, the noise goes away. Also as said before, the noise also goes away after the car has warmed up.
THis is not engine noise. The engine of a car does not change sound in accordance to conditions. It changes sound when you give it more gas ect, but for nothing else. Those of you asking if it is engine raspiness clearly do not have this noise or if you do, do not have a good understanding of engines and how they operate. Im not trying to one up anyone here but I have been around cars my whole life. For a while in the 80s - 90s I could tell you what car was driving down the road in front of my house without seeing it. I lived on a busy street in the USA and was right 80% of the time.

I love this car for the most part but this noise sucks. If VW is going to be a bunch of losers and say stupid idiotic things like, "Well other VW's have this noise therefore its normal" then so be it. At this point though I am upset enough to think that I will likely never never buy VW again. Dont get me wrong, I love this car but if a company wants to drag their feet and play games I dont want anything to do with them. As it is now I guess I have to wait until the R32 is paid off to fix this noise as I believe it will involve replacing the exhaust ect... to get rid of this noise. VW as a company can go under for all I care at this point. I am tired of poor customer service.

·
6,197 Posts
must be metal on metal and the water is a lubricant when it rains....might be worth checking all the heat sheilds under the car front to back....they use those round clips to hold it on...normally they rust through in no time....the heat sheild might have dropped slightly

PS your octane ratings are different to ours...93 is around 95 i believe etc....all to do with the RON, MON or PON ratings...

Good page to read..
http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/RONMONPON.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts