VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! I don't own an R32, but I do love them and the VR6 engine in general. My current car is an MR2 Spyder, and when I saw a 3.6L for sale on CL I decided, "Hey, why not double the displacement and HP?"
I decided to come to this forum because I figured this was the best place to get information on this engine platform and how they are swapped around. the 3.2L has already been swapped into the Spyder with great success and I've read that the 3.6L has the same outward dimensions.

I went to check out the engine over the weekend and it looks trustworthy. The story is it was pulled at 75K miles because of a chain tensioner that the dealership decided to warranty out instead of pulling apart. The seller says it never skipped a tooth and didn't smash any valves. Instead of throwing it away, the guy I'm buying it from decided to pick it up from the dealership as a deal with other parts and keep it in his shop. All of the valves look good (though they need cleaning) and so do the cylinders, which all still have visible QR codes on the pistons and good cylinder walls. none of the sensors are broken and neither is the wiring loom, though one sensor does look to be missing and I'd like to find out what it is or if it's hiding in the wiring somewhere. If it goes into my Spyder, I'd probably pair it with a 6 speed manual transmission, either the one it has now with a Helical LSD or the 6 speed from the GTI with a blockout for the awd system. For this I need to know how programmable the 3.6L Passat ECU is or if I can use an aftermarket computer to talk to it all. I'll probably keep the Toyota ECU to run the rest of the car (the Spyder uses the ABS sensor for speed btw, not a transmission-mounted sensor). I mostly don't want to end up with a car that has a very strict nanny traction control system; in a midengine car the last thing you want is to cut fuel in a corner. The seller also has a 3.2 head with valves that needs some filling and leveling that he's willing to give me to convert the 3.6 from direct to port injection. It's tempting, but there's so much more that goes into how an engine combusts fuel that I don't think it's as simple as changing where the fuel gets added, and I don't think it would be wise to step on the toes of the engineers at VW.

Well, that's the story so far. I'm doing my own research to find out how to run the direct injection system and how the computer systems will have to work, if they even will that is. I've posted some images below of the engine. I meant to take pictures of the cylinder interior but I didn't know how to at the time. I've also linked to the 3.2L MR2 swap thread.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, even if it's just to say that this isn't the place to get help on this project.

3.2L in an MR2 Spyder: 3.2 VR6 swap?

Most of the pictures:

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Light Gas Auto part Technology Engineering
Product Gas Household hardware Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Bumper
Camera accessory Camera lens Automotive tire Cameras & optics Lens
Motor vehicle Engineering Automotive wheel system Machine tool Auto part
Hood Wood Automotive exterior Gas Automotive design
Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Rim Automotive exterior