VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just noticed that my 3rd brake light is constantly on on the ends when the lights are on, when i turn the lights off the brake light goes off

What could this be?

I have LED m3 style lights on and i have fitted resistors into the indicators to stop them flashing fast, and they already had a resistor build in for the brake lights

I dont know if it has always been there or not but i have just put some LED number plate lights in

HELP! I have a suspicion that this may effect the haldex if it thinks the brake is on?

cheers

·
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not convinced the Haldex is affected. Did it do this with the standard lights?
If you mean licence plate lights, i dont know, i only noticed it after i put the LED ones in because i don't look at my car in the dark much lol
Im gonna go have a fiddle and put the old lights back in and see if it makes a difference

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
If you mean licence plate lights, i dont know, i only noticed it after i put the LED ones in because i don't look at my car in the dark much lol
Im gonna go have a fiddle and put the old lights back in and see if it makes a difference
Yeah i would swap them over and see what happens

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Also what could be a consideration is that somebody has wired it to the side lights, its strange that only 3 each side light up. Then when the brake is pressed its ok.

·
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok it has nothing to do with the license plate leds, it is somehow related to the passenger side rear light cluster as i fiddled with wires and the 3rd brake light flickered
when i pull a green wire it goes off but then when i let go it comes back on
ill take it out tomorrow and check them over

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
ok it has nothing to do with the license plate leds, it is somehow related to the passenger side rear light cluster as i fiddled with wires and the 3rd brake light flickered
when i pull a green wire it goes off but then when i let go it comes back on
ill take it out tomorrow and check them over
I would think if its a fault then it would either be on or off. I think someone has purposely wired the brake light into the passenger rear light

·
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would think if its a fault then it would either be on or off. I think someone has purposely wired the brake light into the passenger rear light
not sure how though, i bought the car unmodified, not even signs of anything done to it then put back to standard, and the last owner was some old guy in the cotswolds, and i put the led lights in, unless the wires at the back of the lights are somehow crossed, to be honest, i love my rear lights but they are causing issues that i cant be arsed with, maybe time for a rethink of rear lights if i can't sort it :/
could be a resistance issue as ive just been reading about it and if you dont have a resistor installed then this happens, as well as the fast indicators, except my indicators are fine and i do have a resistor in... unless it has blown somehow or is the wrong resistance (think its 1kohm)

·
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh and i just checked, with the standard light cluster in, the 3rd brake light is not on, so its a faulty light i guess, or wire

·
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
still no idea how to fix it though

·
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fair do's

Fully tinted rears your thing?
nah, im the fussiest person ever with rear lights, i hate tinted ones, i think they look like a chavvy replica thing, my dad has some black ones that i dont like (not tinted but just dark smokey things, youll see them in my build thread thing if the photos work) us/euro/hella dont do it for me, they are nice but not for me, there is the same lights i have but non led versions... but i like leds
ahhh aint life simple

·
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Leave it looks cool lol
if only it was knight rider style
, i would leave it but im concerned that it might make the haldex not work, others have said it disengages it but i dont know, im no mechanic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts