VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 R32 and from what I can tell after ringing the 2 VW dealers that have serviced my car, it doesnt have the 6463 update.

Can someone tell me why some cars have had it carried out and some havent? A VW dealer in Glasgow told me it depended upon your chassis number and if they thought your car needed it or not.

They also said they would charge 1 hours labour to have it done!

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel that my car suffers from hesitation. Surely VW should do this upgarde FOC.

·
1,432 Posts
The local VW dealer called me shortly after purchasing the car new in 2003 and requested that I bring it in for the update which I duly did.

I guess mainland UK dealers arent quite as good at CS as they are here.

btw the update was carried out FOC as it was a VW fault in a similar way to a recall is taken care of. You should not have to pay anything.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
i would call your local dealer, and ask to speak to the service manager. If he doesnt know what your talking about, ring the next dealer. I find that alot of the time these service "technicians" have no clue what theyre on about, although if your lucky you will get an enthusiast who knows what needs doing.

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car hasnt got the 6463 upgrade. I spoke today with a salesman that I know at my local dealers. He said he would see what he could do for me and ring me back tomorrow. So fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Neal said:
My car hasnt got the 6463 upgrade. I spoke today with a salesman that I know at my local dealers. He said he would see what he could do for me and ring me back tomorrow. So fingers crossed!
Mine is a 53 plate so dont think it needs it, dont fancy paying 40 quid tho just for them to tell me wether its done or not. How can they charge this when its to fix a factory software problem.

·
1,432 Posts
Originally the 6463 Update was issued as a service bulletin to all Volkswagen dealers. Some dealers may have opted to fix vehicles as they came in for routine service whereas others (as with mine) called owners of the offending vehicles to come in ASAP to have the update applied.

As most effected vehicles should have been fixed some years ago now (as iirc the update came out during the course of 2004) then dealers have probably since filed the service bulletin on the premise that all R32 by now are updated. As a result of this, when you call to enquire about the update they look at their latest list of update bulletins and I suspect they deny all knowledge because they are unaware that you refer to an update which was first released back in 2004. They expect a more recent update.

You can check what software version your R has by doing the following on your climate control (although I have not tested this personally):

(Press Fan Down, Colder button & ECON at same time. The scroll to number 30 using the hot/cold buttons.)

The display should show 222 if you have the 6463 update, if it says 221 or lower then you need the update.

·
77 Posts
I thought the only way was to use Vagcom, which was the main reason I got it after having trouble with dealers telling me the car had 6463 when clearly it had not.

I think the numbers in the climatronic is just the software version of that.

·
3,137 Posts
I thought this showed you the software version of the climatronic rather than the ecu (i could be wrong though), the best way to check is with vag com

·
1,432 Posts
Just to revive this reasonably old thread, I believe it is item number 30 on the list of info you can access with Climatronic and item 30 tells you which software version you have.

Vagcom is the definitive way to do it however :)

·
1,432 Posts
Im still not certain that this number relates to the software version of the ECU, some have said it is likely just the software version of the climatronic system itself.

We have some of you with 215, 218, 221, 222 thats alot of different versions or whatever these numbers actually mean!

Best option is to check it out with vagcom or at your dealer.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.