VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, called my local garage/dealership about the 6463 update (i'm a 53 plate) and the service department dont have a clue as to what i'm on about

got them to check the history and theres no indication the cars ever had it done, but they are clueless as to what it is

i explained everything about it - mainly what i've read and learned off of here - and the guy was still baffled? although my car is under warranty its manufacturers warranty has expired so he said if it were a warranty update then its grey area

he's gunna wait for his collegue to come back off lunch and ask him about it and then phone me at some point.

i mentioned it elliminates hesitation and brings the car up to 250bhp, but might as well been making it up :stupido3:

any thoughts guys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,822 Posts
you could try and ring up vw uk, and see if you can speak to someone regarding the matter then explain to them the situation with the dealer. Not all dealers take notice of the stuff they get sent
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and say what though?

my dealership are normally pretty good but this time it seems they are just unaware about it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,542 Posts
if your planning on a re-map then dont bother with this update as the re-map does the same thing plus a bit extra power:shot:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the dealership got back in touch

their reply:
its not covered under warranty
it doesnt increase bhp
it doesnt increase mpg
only elliminates hesitation upto 3000rpm

...and will cost me £90 + the VAT!

my car doesnt hesitate, and i'm guessing it didnt for the previous owner who had it for the 3 years previous to me else he would have had it done

so i guess i will trundle anlong as is for the time being then get the car remapped when i start fettling with it

that price is a bit steep if you ask me!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
616 Posts
Sounds like crap to me! So you need to pay £90 for a software update on something that VW screwed up the first time round??? I have never heard of anyone that's had to pay for it before.... I'd find another garage. Although, as up top, if your planning on a remap then just do that as it should sory any lag and it will give you small gains in power!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deckedr32 said:
Sounds like crap to me! So you need to pay £90 for a software update on something that VW screwed up the first time round??? I have never heard of anyone that's had to pay for it before.... I'd find another garage. Although, as up top, if your planning on a remap then just do that as it should sory any lag and it will give you small gains in power!
totally agree!

£90 my a$$ :thefinger:
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
I had mine done at Murrays VW in Plymouth last year mate and it didnt cost anything,it has cured the slight hesitation i had initially and has made the car feel alot more responsive overall.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TopsR32 said:
I had mine done at Murrays VW in Plymouth last year mate and it didnt cost anything,it has cured the slight hesitation i had initially and has made the car feel alot more responsive overall.
do you have their number? i can call them then, then get my service guy to call them

let my people talk to your people so to speak :D
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,328 Posts
mate,

find out who you re speaking to down in helston first, becuase there is one guy down there who is a right d**k, but the other service guy is really nice (paul) and so is the service head (bob).

I have had nothing but good things to say about them, and they have always done warranty work on my car and probably some times when they shouldnt :), for instance the leather seats kinking after 2.5 years etc etc

You should go in there and speak to bob and show him the piece of paper i you can print it out with the web addi and he shoudl get it done for free.

hth
andrew
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pomme said:
mate,

find out who you re speaking to down in helston first, becuase there is one guy down there who is a right d**k, but the other service guy is really nice (paul) and so is the service head (bob).

I have had nothing but good things to say about them, and they have always done warranty work on my car and probably some times when they shouldnt :), for instance the leather seats kinking after 2.5 years etc etc

You should go in there and speak to bob and show him the piece of paper i you can print it out with the web addi and he shoudl get it done for free.

hth
andrew
dont get me wrong, i dont have a single problem with helston vw, ive bought 4 cars from there and have been very happy with every aspect of their service, sales and aftercare.

cant fault them mate, and recommend them highly!

just seems that in this instance they arent clued up thats all. if i show them the way they will be fine about it i bet, they just need educating a little maybe
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
I just found the repair invoice...had the update on 29/08/06 the job number was WU4983 tel 01752 668351. The office staff were pretty clueless to be honest but the workshop guys knew what i was on about. Hope this helps you out mate:151:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
I got the 6463 update done at Citygate VW in High Wycoombe along with a haldex fluid change. The guy I spoke to knew what I was talking about straight away and they did not charge any extra for the update (I only paid for the Haldex fluid change), even though the car is out of warranty.

I actually had a good chat to the guy about the update, and I pointed out that some people have been charged £100 for it. The pointers he gave me were:
1) Go to a dealer that is familiar with the update (i.e. one that has done this job on an R32 before). Phone round a few if you have to.
2) Go in and complain about noticable hesitation between 2000 & 300RPM.
3) Make sure your car is registered to you at your correct address on their system.
4) preferably ask for the update to be done when the car is in for a service (or other work) anyway.

The 2-3k hesitation was really noticeable on my R32 before the update - it felt like it had a misfire, it was that bad. Now the update has been done, it pulls away lovely & smooth.

Your dealer is correct about one thing though. The update is only intended to cure a fuelling/ignition glitch between 2000 & 3000RPM, which most UK R32s exhibit (some worse than others). Elmination of the 2-3k flat spot will certainly help with your 0-60 & in-gear acceleration times, but it does not increase top end power. Nor does it improve mpg. If it's more grunt you're after, I would just get the car REVO'd and skip the 6463 update altogether.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
antera309 said:
I got the 6463 update done at Citygate VW in High Wycoombe along with a haldex fluid change. The guy I spoke to knew what I was talking about straight away and they did not charge any extra for the update (I only paid for the Haldex fluid change), even though the car is out of warranty.

I actually had a good chat to the guy about the update, and I pointed out that some people have been charged £100 for it. The pointers he gave me were:
1) Go to a dealer that is familiar with the update (i.e. one that has done this job on an R32 before). Phone round a few if you have to.
2) Go in and complain about noticable hesitation between 2000 & 300RPM.
3) Make sure your car is registered to you at your correct address on their system.
4) preferably ask for the update to be done when the car is in for a service (or other work) anyway.

The 2-3k hesitation was really noticeable on my R32 before the update - it felt like it had a misfire, it was that bad. Now the update has been done, it pulls away lovely & smooth.

Your dealer is correct about one thing though. The update is only intended to cure a fuelling/ignition glitch between 2000 & 3000RPM, which most UK R32s exhibit (some worse than others). Elmination of the 2-3k flat spot will certainly help with your 0-60 & in-gear acceleration times, but it does not increase top end power. Nor does it improve mpg. If it's more grunt you're after, I would just get the car REVO'd and skip the 6463 update altogether.
thats pretty much the plan to be honest. i have started to notice a slight hesitation now, but i think thats because i was looking for it :goodnight:

so will get a remap once i start adding the mods
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top