VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
3,137 Posts
Well here it is, my 996t (and rear) caliper fitting thread. It's been a long haul, well almost 6 months but finally she is back on the road and MOTd and everything is right in the world again.

So to start here is a pic of the offending originals after I had removed them. They were in a very bad state.

I contacted Jonny at http://www.brakecaliperrefurbs.co.uk after hearing good things about them and he said he would have a look at them and try to refurbish them. I sent them off and waited for the news. I wasn't optimistic to be honest and eventually Jonny came back to me with the bad news, all pistons, bleed nipples and brake pipes seized. I contacted VW to get and idea of the price of replacement and the price came back at around £1600 for the 4 calipers and carriers………..

I got back on the phone with Johnny and we discussed the options and it ended up it was going to be cheaper to replace the fronts with 996t calipers and get exchange parts from ECP for the rears. I paid my deposit and and gave him the green light.

In the meantime I got the car prepped ready for the new parts to arrive so I could crack on with it.

Eventually the delivery arrived and I was hugely excited so had to break out my camera to do a little product photography.

I had also been acquiring other bits and pieces I needed to do all the work I wanted, full service, replace the rear brake hard lines with braided items, etc. Thanks to Paul for the 996t pads, http://www.helperformance.com/ for the custom made brake lines, ECP for a lot of the consumables, ebay for the spark plugs.

So I started with the fronts, first thing was to fit the Vagbremtechnic alloy carrier adapters, these are a very high quality bit of kit with a perfect exact fit and finish.

Then I needed to make a small modification to the disc shield/cover, I used my dremmel to chop off the bottom corner of the shield.

Then it was fit the disc back on and then the shiny new caliper, the carriers/adapters above came with the big allen bolts you can see in the pic.

The calipers also came with the pad fitting kit, so it was then onto fitting the pads, spring plate and retaining rod with split pin.

Quick pic of how it's looking

Next up was the brake lines which were also included in the caliper kit provided by Vagbremtechnic. High quality HEL braided lines.

With that all fitted I offered up the 15mm spacers I had bought from ebay.

And finally get the wheel back on.

Clearance on the calipers as can be seen is pretty small.

This pic is of a 3mm drill bit and it doesn't fit in there very easily.

Jobs a good un

Then come the rears.

I fitted http://www.helperformance.com/ flexi replacements at the trailing arms.

Then onto fitting the calipers, first the carriers.

Then disc, pads then calipers.

I also replaced the rear hard lines with HEL flexible lines. I used some stainless self tappers and 8mm stainless P-clips to attach the lines as the original pipe clips wouldn't hold them.
Specification as follows:
Fitting 1: Banjo M12
Fitting 1 Angle: 20°
Fitting 2: Swivel Male M10 x 1.00
Fitting 2 Angle: Straight
Colour: Carbon Look
Length: 810mm

After bleeding a couple of times then getting the garage that was doing my MOT to bleed them again it's all done, the power these have is immense, I still think my pedal is slightly soft but the braking power just seems to get stronger and stronger the further you press the pedal, with no sign of hitting a limit.

Here are a couple of pics of the finished article.

Fronts

Rears

Hope you enjoyed this rambling post

·
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one thing to note is I'm getting a bit of scrubbing with the 15mm spacers and found this today when I washed her
arches need repainted anyway, thinking I'll get another set of arches, get the lip flattened then get them fitted and full spray job.

·
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great write up! How much improvement are they on the standard setup?
To be honest it's been that long since I drove her with the standards I can't remember, but in my mind they are a definite improvement, just feels like they have endless power.

·
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah it's at least 40mm lowered on KW v1s, thats the problem for sure, think if I get the arch lip rolled and flattened it'll be fine.

·
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
other thing to note is the harsh surroundings my car lives in up here in the far north of Scotland, living beside the sea. Lots of salt air around hence the amount of rust on the components under the car

·
876 Posts
Superb write up Alan,
I have to say I'm surprised your getting any scrubbing, the wheel looks quite a distance from your wing.......
Don't be letting the rust get to those beauties.

·
252 Posts
What colour are the calipers painted they look quite a dpb/ standard caliper colour with metallic fleck in them?
And they look very smart. Do they just use the standard size disc?

·
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What colour are the calipers painted they look quite a dpb/ standard caliper colour with metallic fleck in them?
The standard calipers weren't dpb but these are (no additional metallic was added) and thanks I'm pretty pleased with the way they have turned out. The porsche 996t calipers do indeed use the standard front disc.

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
I can supply the kit if required, using the 996tt or 18z caliper

·
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol can't help yourself eh hahahaha

Reactions: PaulW
1 - 20 of 40 Posts