VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this morning it was -1.5º and so i went out to the R early to defrost is as it was fairly thick, i started it up and it just ticked over at about 700-800rpm. There was no real evidence of it going on a choke as you would normally expect with such a cold start, sometimes when you start it it zips up to about 1200rpm and then after a couple of mins it will gradually go down, i'm guessing since it very rarely does it that the temp sender has failed? I also think i'm suffering from the fan problem as i notice the high speed fan kicks in but i haven't noticed the low speed one going round - i haven't checked it properly but i'll have a look on wednesday as i'm not at work.

Another slightly more confusing one, is that the heated rear window doesn't work none of the lines heat up as if there's no power going to it, it has to be some sort of connection problem but i'm not sure where to look as the heated mirrors still work with the heated rear screen button? Any ideas on what to look at?

As both of them are cold related i'm guessing any of 2 previous owners wouldn't have really noticed as it's been garaged all it's life so has never really been left in the cold. I had a friend who works at VW check it on their system and the car has never been in for any warranty work :eek: which is surprising, i'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

It also needs the 6463 done as it's got a couple of flat spots / hesitations below 3krpm so i'll get it booked in for that at the end of the month.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Re the choke issue, mine doesnt always use the choke. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt. This morning even though it was like minus 2 it started at the normal rev range.

I am suffering from the occasional check coolant light, however its not really using any.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
ive just changed temp sensor yesterday and thismorning it didnt use cold start. so dont think thats a problem

·
305 Posts
sometimes my r does"nt always go on choke. but its kept in a garage so i dont take much notice if its in that sort of mood! maybe i should put a new temp sender in later. if it was me i would have the 6364 upgrade done and ask the vw dealers advice on these probs! maybe they could hook you up to the vagcom and test these problems out. worth checking the fuses first!

·
572 Posts
The thing with the 'choke' is normal. It's to do with ambient air temperature and engine temperature and the ecu takes this into account when starting. There is quite a lot of info on Vortex about it. You will also see the revs change slightly when aux air pump comes on/off when you're sitting idling. All this is to do with cutting emissions I think!!

And my heated rear window works, but my mirrors don't. Have you checked fuses?

·
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some interesting replies there, i just assumed that when it was cold that it wold automatically rev higher but as it seems like everyones is the same i guess it's not too much of a problem. I mean it's not like the car was unhappy in anyway, it started fine i just thought it was a little odd, i guess i can stop worrying about that then.

As for the rear screen i haven't checked fuses as i thought it ran off the same fuse that the mirrors did and as they're working i thought that it was more likely to be something else. When the mirrors don't work and the rear screen does it's usually the resistors on the back of the mirrors themselves that don't work. Any idea where the fuse box is and which one i need to check?

·
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's alright then, i'm still a bit stumped on the rear screen though :hmmmm2:

·
106 Posts
im pretty sure what your problem might be with the rear screen, i had this problem in my previous mkiv golf. when you open the boot there is a little rubber tube containing the wires for all the electronics on the bootlid (near where the bootlid meets the roof). all it was in my case was one of the wires had broken cos of the boot being opened and closed. so its a simple fix of joining the wires back up! 5 min job.

·
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh right, i'll open the boot up and take a look at that tomorrow.

As for the choke thing, i'm not even going to try and understand it, this morning no choke 6c, this even raining 8c it used choke confusing but i guess some bod at vw who programmed it knows better than i do!

·
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An update on the rear screen, i've checked the fuses which are fine, although it seems to have something aftermarket in relation to the alarm as there's a few extra wires in there - but that's neither here nor there. I then opened the boot and checked the rubber grommets on each side which have wires in, none of them appear to be broken and they all look in really good, albeit stiff, condition. So i'm a bit more confused than i was, i can't see the contacts that actually join to the rear screen as there's trim in the way which i wasn't sure how to remove. I'm sure it's probably clipped on with a lot of those white push in clips that vw seem to love using that break as you pull on them. I'll have a search around and see what i can find out anything on uk-mkivs.

I also checked the fans and none of them turn at idle and they pulse every 30 secs or so, so they're fubar, i'll have to see if midland vw will replace those for me as hopefully they'll be a fair bit cheaper than vw.

If anyone has any more ideas on the rear screen then fire away!

·
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure, and i'm not entirely sure how to check either?

·
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so the cars booked in for next friday at VW for the 6463 software update (which amazingly the bloke i was talking to knew all about!) and they're going to look at the rear screen for me. It'll be interesting if they pick up on the fans as they'll need to plug in the diagnostic machine for the software update.

Fingers crossed it'll be cheap :hmmmm2:

·
3,137 Posts
yeah fans are about £400ish I was lucky and got mine done before the warranty ran out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts