VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just thought I'd share the events of a crazy Sunday with you. It was nearly the end of the R, and more importantly might well have been the end of me and the mrs's family along with it.

I was driving along the A13, 3 lane-carriageway in Essex with my mrs and in-laws yesterday lunchtime. We came up the flyover where the Eurostar goes underneath (a good 60 feet up) at the 50 mph speed limit, with my brother-in-law following with his girlfriend in his Bora. We were in the middle lane and needed to move to the inside lane to come off at the next junction.

I checked my mirrors, indicated and started to move across to the inside lane. At that point I caught sight of something maroon approaching very quickly in my mirrors and jerked back into the middle lane. At that point everything went into slow motion. A big 90s Merc swerved, hit the side barrier (with the 60 ft drop), out into the road, and again into the barrier before ending up in the middle of the road. I came to a halt just behind him, very shaken up.

My brother-in-law, who had seen the whole thing unfold from behind me, parked up and ran to the guy's car. He was ok and got out. Relief. At that point I was worried that I hadn't seen him... but then it started to dawn on me that this guy had tried to undertake me at 70-80 mph, and I got really angry.

I got out of the car when the police arrived. My father-in-law had already gone and spoken to the guy, who didn't speak much English, and had already said that he needed to get to Rainham quickly. He wasn't going anywhere in the crumpled heap next to him.

The Police arrived, breathalized him, cuffed him, and bundled him into a police car. the police checked that my car had no damage, told me he was well over the limit and told me to be on my way. My concern had turned to confusion, and then complete and utter anger. I drove away still shaking, and wondering what would have happened if I hadn't evaded him in that split second. It would have been a miracle if noone ended up plunging onto the train tracks below.

Several morals to this one - Watch out for maniacs, don't drink and drive, check your mirrors twice and don't undertake EVER!!! :dong:

·
6,197 Posts
"who didn't speak much English, and had already said that he needed to get to Rainham quickly"
You should have picked him up and lobbed him on the track as the Eurostar was coming.....get out the country you pissed up [email protected]£ker and stay out!!!!

·
616 Posts
Sounded close! Glad your ok, it's not a nice feeling even if it was "nearly" it doesn't really matter. I'm glad they got him. By the sounds of it he was DUI, but still there are so many drivers out there that just don't know how to drive. I'm so carefull when anything is around me. (I think I watch too many of those cop car shows).

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Bloody hell mate, not something I ever wish to have to experience myself.

Glad to hear that everyone is ok, and that the car remained untouched too.

It really p!sses me off that there are these type of people out there that just don't give a sh!t about anyone else. I find it a shame that he remained ok too, as he won't learn his lesson and will probably do it again.

·
83 Posts
If you basically drive, with the understanding that no one else can drive and they're all out to kill you, then you shouldn't go too far wrong!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.