VW Golf R32 Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
242 Posts
Too busy to post in full here right now (being without a car al of a sudden - especially at this time of year - is a sodding nightmare) but in a nutshell *part* of my dissatisfaction stems from the fact that my car has been reported stolen as I was car-jacked yesterday - the insurers won't pay out for 30 days (pretty standard), but now won't cover me on any other vehicle in the meantime as my car has been stolen. So it's "reported stolen" for the purposes of delaying payouts, but "stolen" for the purposes of other policy benefits. While I was covered, I could drive anyone else's car and be insured TP; but as my car is stolen, despite having several weeks left to run on the cover, I'm *not* covered any more. Jusat the point when I actually needed it!

This is not only different to many other policies issued by other insurers (where the cover is for the full term or payout), like Aviva and the AA, it's also different to previous policies that Flux have sold me. So the terms changed without being pointed out to me, and now I'm shafted - either I buy another car out of cash (and take my business elsewhere), or I don't drive until payout, costing me THOUSANDS in lost work.

Wonder if I can sue for that? No idea, but it might be interesting to find out. If I'm not working, I'll have the time to spare. Meanwhile I've NOT been impressed by their attitude.

·
2,639 Posts
Use Adrian flux' legal cover to sue them with :top:

·
242 Posts
Neat idea, but the legal cover usually expresses "you can't use this to sue us". But even if I *could* use their legal expenses cover, I'd be sent to one of the tick-box "claims farm" solicitors.

Frankly I can get far better legal advice for free without leaving my own room in work, and if I'm prepared to walk a few yards along the corridor or up the stairs I can talk to some of the finest legal minds in the West Midlands. Right now, the things I lack most are my car, my work laptop and my wig and gown; access to the best lawyers is not something I'm ever likely to lack.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Sorry to hear about this mate. Hope it gets sorted for you soon. Nothing more irritating than being shafted when you expected better service.

I'll make sure I check my policy wording in more detail in future too. Even though I'm not with Flux at the moment.

BTW I deduce from my powers of deduction that you are in fact a lawyer yourself then ? :)

·
242 Posts
Adrian Flux know what I do for a living, because it's printed on my insurance certificate. They also know that without a car, I can't continue to o what I do for a living, until paid out on my loss. That means (i) I have rapidly increasing losses, (ii) certain skills and experience, and (iii) time on my hands.

That they wish to bugger me about instead f doing what I'm asking for (business use cover on a borrowed T-reg 1.4 Corsa, until paid out or my policy expires) means that they must have a very good deal with some very cheap lawyers (an oxymoron in my experience), or get as big a thrill out of the hassle and expense of litigation as I do (because if I didn't, I'd ave studied to be an optician instead).

As far as I can tell, my terms to start sorting this out are a hell of a lot more reasonable than their terms were. Personally I'd rather not wash dirty linen in public, but (i) they're the ones treating me badly, (ii) right now, I feel like I'm being stonewalled (certainly not listened to or assisted in any way), and (iii) more importantly, they're the ones touting for business here in this forum, here on this thread.

till, I've had some good news this morning. My household insurers will cover certain items of property that were in the boot of the car, and my business insurance is likely to cover most of the really expensive items (my copy of Archbold, wig, gown, probably even my work laptop), so the fact that the personal belongings cover on the car policy is *hopeless*, I might not be too deeply out of pocket on the belongings' front.

Meanwhile, I will continue to scour Ebay and Autotrader (any other likely suspects?), partly to try and find my car for sale, but mostly because I want to know what a Jan '09 registered 5-door R32 is worth, in pristine condition, 45k on the clock (and I've driven the car as my retired mother would have done for the vast majority of that time, if only to try and get over 30mpg) with factory-fit MFD3 satnav, Recaro leather seats and the DSG gearbox.

Update - now received a letter from the insurers, asking for (amongst other things) the keys. I WAS CAR-JACKED, YOU MORONS, I DON'T HAVE THE KEYS ANY MORE. Likewise the maintenance and servicing documents (it was serviced a fortnight ago, AND had two brand-new tyres put on), and some of the other items requested. Blimey, do they not take the SLIGHTEST notice of the claim report before sending out these standard-form letters? Yesterday's was from some middle-man claims handler, telling me that he'd be liaising with the garage where my car was. IF MY CAR IS AT A GARAGE, TELL THE POLICE ABOUT IT IMMEDIATELY. "Oh, sorry, wrong standard-form letter was sent to you".

I was particularly impressed to be told that UNTIL I have received a settlement cheque (which won't be forthcoming for at least 30 days, as normal), the car is still my property. SO WHY WON'T YOU LET ME DRIVE A BORROWED CAR ON THAT POLICY IN THE MEANTIME THEN? It seems that my car is "stolen" for the purpose of removing all policy benefits from me, but only "reported stolen" for the purposes of ownership, liabilities and payout.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Viscount Charles said:
I've asked them, through two different channels (three, if you count this one), to contact me today, as part of me still thinks that what is happening is some terrible miss-communication or misunderstanding. I'll give them the courtesy of waiting until 5pm tonight, before posting more than the above.
Morning

Has anyone contacted you ? If you would like for me to arrange a call back please pm me your details.

Dan

41 - 46 of 46 Posts