VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm planning on putting a set of 19"x8" alloys on my MKV early in the new year. Thing is, I'm pretty clueless with spacers, coilovers, wheel sizes etc... and really need some help!

I don't want to increase the combined diameter of tyre and alloy (rolling radius) because as I understand, this will affect the accuracy of the speedo, mpg reading etc... So my question is, (bearing in mind I may add either the Bilstein B16 PSS9's or KW V3's at some point), what tyre size should I use to keep the rolling radius near identical without hurting the handling?

My stock items are 18"x7.5" shod with 225/40/18 rubber. I don't want any rubbing issues. Your help would be much appreciated guys, hope the above makes sense.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
not to sure but id say 235/35/19 or even 240/35/19 it will be something round that to keep rolling radius the same. as for the rubbing im not to sure as they will be wide tyres and when car is pretty low could rub so might need some spacer but i dont think you will know till you come to that point

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
the profile rating is a percentage of the width so an 8 wide wheel instead of 7.5 may need a wider tyre. going on half an inch being about 15mm the tyre would need to be wider to fit wheel properly so abviously a 240 with a 40 profile would be slightly more in circumferance than a 235 with 40 profile

·
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Gaz. I've had a recent conversation online with a very kind chap who offered his opinion (see below copy of transcript).

-------------------

Dave says:
Will I be able to go from 18's 19's and reduce the height of the rubber's side wall, thus keeping the same alloy and tyre combined diameter?

Person says:
Yes you will be able to do that. My old set of stock 18's had 225/40/18 rubber on. My new 19" have 215/35/19. You can keep the 225 width and go from 40 to 30/35 and the rolling radius should stay the same.

Dave says:
What affect will it have on handling?

Person says:
For me, the ride seemed a little harder but that's due to the lower profile of tyre I went for. It may understeer a little more depending on the width of the rim you get and of course the tyre choice. As you're not increasing or decreasing the rolling radius, there shouldn't be any noticeable differences in acceleration. From a performance point of view, the more rubber, the better which is why I'm going back to some lightweight 18" and 225/40/18 rubber. Don't take that as gospel, that's just what I've noticed. Having said that, the tyres are brand new and with the weather like it is, I haven't been able to scrub them off yet.

Dave says:
Can you explain what the 215/35/19 parts mean? Obviously I can guess the last one is inch of rim

Person says:
'215' is the width of the tyre, '35' is the height of the tyre wall. I believe both are in mm.

Dave says:
What would 8" width be?

Person says:
You can choose really, "stretched" is where you put a tyre on a rim that's not quite big enough so that it's essentially lower looking in profile. You can go as much or as little as the wheel will take, all wheels will have a list of tyres that will fit on the rim.

Dave says:
I don't want to do that, what's the best fit for 8" wheels?

Person says:
For 8" I would say go for 40's or 35's. Even 45's but depends on what suspension your running.

Dave says:
Bilstein B16 PSS9's or KW V3's

Person says:
Then probably 35's as obviously having a lot of rubber with a low car isn't always easy. That's the reason I went with 215/35 on my 19's as I thought they would rub. Should have gone for 225/40's in the end but there you go.

Dave says:
Regarding the 215 - 245 etc... What would be "non-stretched"?

Person says:
My 19s have 215 on, and would be considered slightly stretched as they are not as wide as the rim however they will take that tyre. 245 would be more rubber, wider giving you more of a rim protector.

Dave says:
Is that a bit wide for 8"?

Person says:
Not really, I think 255's are used on the M3 rears and they are 8" wide I believe? I would go for 225 or 235.

Dave says:
Ok, putting it all together, what in your opinion is the optimum for handling when using 19x8 alloys and a slightly lowered suspension?

Person says:
I would go for 225/35/19.

-------------------

I would be grateful if people would add their thoughts, I'm trying to canvas a wider consensus. Cheers!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I Have 19s on my06 R32
The tyre you must use is 225/35/19 ,as, if you go 235/35/19 you get rubbing issues on the inner rear arches and also on full lock at the front
I live in Worcester so if can help just pm me
Cheers Darren

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
none allowed in the back lol

·
544 Posts
dont know fella stole the pics from another forum but i bet they rub.
they look the nuts i think

·
4,328 Posts
looking at them again they will def be rubbing.

Pu it this way, just imagine going over a bump whilst the wheel is turned like that :(

or just imagine going over a sleeping plod.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Davefish, it all depends on how low you will go with the coilovers. I am on H&R coilovers, and an average 2" drop all around, and 19x8 50ET BBS CH rims with 235-35-19 F1 GS-D3s. I get occasional rubbing when cornering real hard/taking REAL sharp turns. If I go .25" lower, the rubbing is more often. With PSS9s and/or V3s you can adjust the dampening so they might let you go a little lower on 235 width tires.

I like 235s over 225s because of the extra rim protection and a little more comfort. 225s will look very nice on 19x8s tho.

Also be careful with your offset on the rims, anything lower than 45mm might cause seriuos headaches.

Hope this helps

·
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Berky said:
Davefish, it all depends on how low you will go with the coilovers. I am on H&R coilovers, and an average 2" drop all around, and 19x8 50ET BBS CH rims with 235-35-19 F1 GS-D3s. I get occasional rubbing when cornering real hard/taking REAL sharp turns. If I go .25" lower, the rubbing is more often. With PSS9s and/or V3s you can adjust the dampening so they might let you go a little lower on 235 width tires.

I like 235s over 225s because of the extra rim protection and a little more comfort. 225s will look very nice on 19x8s tho.

Also be careful with your offset on the rims, anything lower than 45mm might cause seriuos headaches.

Hope this helps
Merry Christmas Berky, that does help thanks. The alloys come in 5/112 ET45 which I believe is the optimum fitment for the MKV. I would probably only drop it by about 1.5" so with 225/35 I would presume I won't get any rubbing. When you say 235 gives more rim protection, do you mean scraping against a curb or is it a performance term? And also, are there any performance differences between 225/35 and 235/35? How have you found the CH's compared to stock?

Thanks again
Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
at ET45 i would go with 225s as well. There is no big performance difference in between two sizes (225 vs 235). I was mentioning rim protection against curbage. If one thing, 235 will add a little bit more unsprung weight, and more contact patch=lesser acceleration (very unnoticable).

There is a little compremise on 19s, a little less comfort, you become more paranoid watching potholes. On a performance note, as long as you dont get VERY heavy rims, you will be fine. Car feels more responsive, steering is more crisp. And damn, they look HOT.

GL, lemme know if you have any questions

·
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks chap, really good info. The alloys I'm looking at weigh 12kg (26lb) each. What are your thoughts on this weight for 19" rims? Don't suppose you know the weight of the stock alloys (Omanyt) do you?

·
2,808 Posts
hey dave, Iv got 19s on mine with 235/40 (I think, its in the shop at the mo, or Id check) and its got the bilstein shocks. No spacers and it dosnt rub unless you get 3 fatties in the back and go over bumps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts