VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 2nd hand Mk V R32. It has a 6 disk head unit in it but how easy is it to connect an ipod up to it and what lead do I need?

Also is there instructions anywhere for removing the head unit, not actually looked at it but its not as easy looking as my old Ford!

·
323 Posts
Scotsr,

I would like to ask the same question. I have a 2nd hand MK5 coming Saturday. and cant do with out my ipod!!

Anyone have any suggestions!!??

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt

In the end I bought a Macally FMcup ipod transmitter. It does the job perfect and does not interfere with my bluetooth phone connection. The only thing being it doesn't sit into the cup holder in the car very well.

I'd be inclined just to get a normal wireless FM transmitter to plug into the bottom of the ipod and just keep it in the glovebox if I were you!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Dont ANYONE buy an FM transmitter, if you value your iPod (and knees) you really shouldnt get one of these, they're AWFUL.

Matt DSC, if you want iPod in your Mk5 tell me what head unit itc coming with and i'll source the lead for you.

Scottsr32, Same advice goes to you, get in touch asap, FM transmitters suck, the audio on them is rubbish.

·
323 Posts
Chris, Many thanks for the reply.

The car will have the RCD500 the one with the 6 disc changer in the dash.

Cheers

·
323 Posts
Chris,

Cheers for your help.

Not that fussed about charging it as have the lighter thingy to charge it, but at the right price I wont discard the option! Ideally would like something easy to fit (and delievered) before Saturday!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Right Matt dude,

One of my suppliers has come up trumps on this for you,

i can supply an interface for the RCD 500 which will give you contol of the iPod through the head unit, it will charge it too and its an easy home fit for ya, its £160 inc Vat and delivery pal but its the best way of keeping the existing head unit AND controlling the iPod and charging it too.

They are in stock and i can get you one by thursday latest.

·
323 Posts
Jesus.....thats a lot. I think I would be happy with an aux lead and a headphone socket. Are there any cheaper option.

P.S I used to be a farmer so I am tight!!! lol

·
146 Posts
don't want to steal Chris' thunder but I got one of these working:

Dension Ice-Link - IPOD on eBay, also Car Kits, Apple iPod Accessories, MP3 Player Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 16-Oct-08 14:48:33 BST)

Not bad for £40!

Have a look at the following link for the info on how I did it!

http://www.r32oc.com/car-entertainment/4185-reasonable-upgrade-5.html

Give me a shout if you need any help. I simply tinned the ends of the wires from the ipod lead after the controller and pushed them into the connector I pulled out of the CD multichanger. Then added a bit of tape for security. To go back to standard would take me literally a couple of minutes (remover the CD changer, pull out the cables from the plug, stick the plug in the multichanger, replace multichanger, insert CD, have beer).

P.S. It's not me selling on ebay!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts