VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys iv recently had my top strut bearings replaced and my track rod ends thinking that it would solve the problem of a major knocking noise at crawling speed and wot sounds like a spring twangging on turning the wheel at stand still!!!

any ideas cos its driving me insane!!!!Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh:angry:

·
66 Posts
I changed my top mounts, and that stopped the low speed knoking noise hard to say about a twanging noise without hearing it, maby spring related ?

·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats wot im thinking mate.maby just means iv got an excuse to go for a new set of coilovers!!!hahahaha

see your from aberdeen to!!aint seen your car going about much.aint many silver ones in the don which makes ares all the more special hahahah

·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nobody else got any ideas?????:(

G

·
I had the same symptoms as you have described. I had strut top mounts and front shockers replaced, this solved the problem. The garage said they could see slight play in the pumping rods of both shockers and that this is what was causing the knocking.

·
6,197 Posts
Sounds like the springs....might be the plastic/rubber has worn away on the shock where the spring sits causing the creaking on lock to lock.....try a gentle squirt of WD40 on the top/bottom of the spring see if it goes....don't spray your brake disc lol

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I had a really annoying twanky whining noise too,

Turns out it was the wife in the passenger seat !!!!!!

·
572 Posts
macdaddy said:
I had a really annoying twanky whining noise too,

Turns out it was the wife in the passenger seat !!!!!!
Ohhhhh.......you'll be in trouble.....

I had my top mount bushes/bearings changed 2 months ago to cure this but noise has come back again. Will have to take it back to incompetent VW dealer.:angry:

·
66 Posts
my mate who used to work at VW told me they had a recall on shock abs you can grab the chrome and move it around inside the barrel not easy to see without shocker off,

could just be the spring creaking though, !

yeah i live out in insch, so im not often in aberdeen occasionally have a drive on a sat night around town down the beach, but not a lot like.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just started with my 04 R32, sounds very loud when just turning slowly usualy on full lock parking etc, turning round. Will give it a spray with WD40 and see how it goes?

·
267 Posts
same problem with me, got my top mount bearings done and problem went away. Guess what? yeah its back again!!! mite have the bushes changed to see if that sorts it out!!

·
3,137 Posts
I've had the strut top bearings replaced three times on mine, the first twice the noise came back soon after then the third time done over a year ago and had nothing since.

I wonder if VW even replaced them the first 2 times

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had my bushes changed couple of months back then the noise started, seems to be front left hand side only, does sound like the spring, struggling to get in with WD40 to give it a blast, any suggestions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts