VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now shouldnt be looking into this just yet as plan to keep car standard for a while but looking into possible remaps

Now ive found the following companies all with decent feedback that offer remap for the R32

- Awesome GTI using APR - £375 for stage 1 (although cant find info for stage 1/2 or how remap is done)
- Custom Code - £280 for generic, £370 for custom
- Intelligent Tuning using Revo - £470 for generic
- APS - £350 for remap

Now these all seem pretty similar but im more interested in how these remaps are done - the generic ones obviously are the simple load up onto car maps which i will probably avoid.

So it leaves me with custom remaps from custom code, APS and AGTI's APR (if not generic) remap.

Can anyone tell me whats involved in the remap for these 3? is it done on rolling road? out on road or just simply done on car. I want to find somewhere that will ideally take my car, load on a similar map and then tweak for any mods etc i might have. Ideally they will do a before and after map to show the gains.

Im not after big bhp gains, i plan to get a miltek exhaust system and maybe performance air filter before the map but thats all. Im more interested in the power delivery than high numbers.

What are people's experience of these remaps? Good/Bad, how more improved drive after the remap? customer service etc?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Awesome GTi's is a generec map, same as REVO.

Depending on your mods, id go with CustomCodes custom remap.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
APS in a custom code that is tailored to your own car by means of an initial upload to the car, and then tweaking whilst out on the road with real road conditions... which I feel is the best type of custom code, which is why I went to APS!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is the kind of thing i want, i have done a bit more searching and APS do seem to be well recommended. The idea of tweaking whilst on the road i agree is probably the best option. Might get in touch and get a price for the stage 2 for the exhaust and remap.

Matt - i see thats what you have - much change over stock?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
you will need exhaust, sports cats and a CAI to warrant stage 2 :)

APS are the same as Custom Code in their methods.

·
5,616 Posts
The way the engine runs is quite different. I'd say the power delivery is smoother than it was as stock, and it pulls harder for a lot longer... rev limiter is now set to 7,200rpm. Together with the sound of the non-res Milltek, she's a whole new beast :D

Wayne - APS class a remap and exhaust as their "stage 2" APS R32 packages

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it? according to their website stage 2 package is remap alongside miltek exhaust system?

Cant find any info with regards to different stages of maps?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mattchaps said:
The way the engine runs is quite different. I'd say the power delivery is smoother than it was as stock, and it pulls harder for a lot longer... rev limiter is now set to 7,200rpm. Together with the sound of the non-res Milltek, she's a whole new beast :D

Wayne - APS class a remap and exhaust as their "stage 2" APS R32 packages
Sounds good

Im trying to find sound clips of the resonated and non-resonated Miltek's - i like noise but nothing too excessive. So far i have found a lot of non-resonated ones on youtube and they are very nice :D How is the noise inside the cabin? a lot louder? and motorway journeys do they become a bit of a chore?

·
5,616 Posts
It's not too bad, but then I do like to hear it.

At 80-90 you can hear it, but it's not overpowering. I imagine with the resonated exhaust it'll be mainly just road noise you will hear at them speeds. Only hearing the exhaust when you boot it! With the non res you can hear the exhaust most of the time but like i said earlier, it's not overpowering... in my opinion anyway! It's hard to describe. I'm sure I saw a clip of a resonated exhaust, and it was taken from inside the car, i'll see if i can find it...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Jimmy,

I started with a resonated milltek, then after a few months put a carbonio CAI in too, and am finishing with an APS remap in March.

The resonated milltek was no louder than the stock system, but allowed more of a classic V6 growl when you put your foot down.

Now that I have the carbonio fitted too, the exhaust & induction noise compliment each other perfectly when it comes onto cam - a really warm bassy sound with that v6 growl on top - I definitely wouldn't need anything louder and I know alot of people get the extra silencer after going a few months non-resonated - they sound amazing, but it would do my head in!:D

if you're ever down this end of the M4, I'd be glad to take you out for a spin. Otherwise I'm at APS for about 5 hours on Sat 15th March!:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys

Im a bit torn, coming from the ST with a de-cat and straight through piper system the R is very very quiet even in high revs inside the car. So i dont mind a bit more cabin noise but not too much. Outside however i dont care!

I suppose though the difference in the middle section with the added silencer so in theory if i was not liking the noise of the non-resonated exhaust i could swap etc for the resonated section?

Let me know how APS goes dom as that could be my path too.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
interesting, as most the people i have spoken too dont consider what i said anything more than stage 1, and a Real stage 2 includes cams? Im guessing APS must class that as stage 3.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wayne said:
interesting, as most the people i have spoken too dont consider what i said anything more than stage 1, and a Real stage 2 includes cams? Im guessing APS must class that as stage 3.
i believe APS have stages of packages not tunes, as the remap is custom so no set stages just map to mods. Thats my take on it.

Stage 1 - Remap
Stage 2 - Exhaust + Remap
Stage 3 - Exhaust + Cams + Remap

·
5,616 Posts
Jimmy, here's the vid I mentioned. It says that it's the resonated exhaust, but I reckon he may have the window open as it sounds a little louder than I remember the resonated exhaust being... but I could be wrong.

Here's a link to mine, just for the hell of it :D

[media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rnCxMY6MKBQ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts