VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,
Sorry if this has been posted a lot but I can't find what I'm looking for.
Basically about a year ago my standard top mouts started creaking now & then so I brought a new pair & now they've started doing it again & it's driving me up the wall.
What I want to know is what are the best top mounts to go for & where to get them from? My cars a standard mk4
Cheers Tom

G

·
Hi Tom I replaced mine 3 years ago and are still fine seems strange only after a year you are having problems ...
Did you buy genuine parts ?
I'd be going back to the garage who fitted them first

·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Andy I brought oem ones from awesome gti & I think I've done around 10-12k on them. The only thing I can think of is living on the Isle of Wight the roads are terrible so they do take a hammering. I'm thinking of maybe trying the cupra R ones

G

·
I bet I've covered 35k on mine bad roads or not the original ones I took off covered a lot more .

I'd still want to find out why they failed already

All the best Tom hope you sort it

·
2,204 Posts
VW seem to go through phases of top mount bearings not lasting very long. They now use a Rollax bearing but who ever they used before sent batches of bearings out with no grease at all in them! You can check easily by popping off the top cover before fitting.

I've seen the bearings come with, no grease, regular LM grease equivalent, lithium grease and now moly grease! I always remove the supplied grease and replace it with Silkolene synthetic grease.

The Cupra R ones are apparently VW Racing mounts according to the Vortex, but at the end of the day, it's still exactly the same bearing, but sitting in a harder grade rubber mount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts