VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some questions I would really like to bounce off a local so to speak..........

·
3,137 Posts
you planning a move?

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me and the GF are toying with the idea of getting the hell out of this pit before it spirals any further into the abyss......

Done a little homework and apparently there are very few R32s in Oz and they are seriously priced, shippings isn't excessive even when customs etc take their share but would like to talk to someone over their regarding......everything!!!

·
1,084 Posts
One of my old colleagues and his Mrs moved to Oz a couple of years back. They are loving it compared to SW London/Surrey.

He is a skilled electronics technician, and she is a nurse. They now have a massive house there and have no regrets about leaving the UK.

As a general rule, for importing/exporting cars, the customs regs are that you have to have a minimum period of ownership before and after shipping.

eg in my case (Shipping car from Japan to UK)

For no export duty, the car must have been owned for 6 months prior to export, and must be owned for a year in the UK after arrival. This is called a 'personal import' and is different to the professionals who do it for profit, therefore have to pay import/export duty.

I plan on sending my Scooby back to the UK pretty soon, will register and keep it there, and then sell it. It will still be worth more than it is here.

I have a been told approx 500 quid for shipping Japan to UK (mates rates).

I would repost on GolfMkV and vortex, as there are some Oz owners on there.

Hope that helps...

·
155 Posts
i am leaving for oz on the 3rd of june. carnt wait now. but going to sell the r. what a joke that is. it and April 07 DBP 3dr 13000 and has leather and center arm rest. one dealership offered me wait for it ..........................................£16000. what
Could not belive it.

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheeky B*stards!!

You can get it shipped over and registered for around £5K, unless I've read the wrong things but I'm only just starting on the research!? Have a look at the retail prices for one over there too, your looking at well gone £23K for a MkIV on around an 03 let alone and 07 MkV!!!!

Thanks for the advice Tokyo Dub. Your mate doesn't ship to Oz by any chance? :wink:

·
Admin
9,271 Posts
This is from http://www.karmanshipping.co.uk/australia/australia.html

* A car is shipped in a 'sole use' sealed 20' Container from the near Barking/East London warehouse. Ships normally sail every week taking 4-5 weeks in transit to Fremantle/Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. It can take a further 1 to 3 weeks before a car is ready to be registered to be used on the road in Australia.

* A booking is made by completing our application for shipping space form and can be made up to 3 months or as little as one week before shipment. A copy of the UK registration document is required.
* The Personal Import requirements are normally that Australian permanent residency is required with only one car per person allowed which must have been owned and used in the UK for a minimum period of 12 months unless the vehicle is older than 1989.

* Personal Import Approval is required by sending an application form to DoTaRS in Canberra with copies of the car and personal papers and takes 3-5 weeks to obtain. Although the Approval is only required at the Australian port it should be obtained before shipment of the vehicle from the UK.

* The costs due in the UK are for shipping and shipment protection payable before the day of sailing. In Australia costs are payable for port fees and container unpacking, customs fees and clearance, quarantine inspection and possibly cleaning, road safety preparation and a roadworthy test, as well as, annual registration, possibly stamp duty, and driving insurance.

* Australian Import Taxes on most cars are 10% Duty (5% for 'off road' 4wd vehicles) and 10% Gst. Duty is paid on the customs value and Gst is paid on the total of the customs value + duty + cost of shipment. Usually the Customs Value is based on the Australian 'as landed' value which can be as low as half of the actual Australian market value. In only very few cases, if a vehicle was purchased before March 1998, then the CV is based on the UK purchase price less a depreciation allowance.

* Valuation method advice can be obtained from Australian Customs and the destination clearance agent can recommend a local valuer for an 'as landed' valuation estimate. An initial guide to the full Australian market value is available at www.redbook.com.au.

* Items packed inside a car travel free of charge. A list of goods is required by customs and quarantine and these would be cleared separately from the vehicle.

* A guide to the costs would be £1,300-£1,400 shipping, £100-£300 shipment protection, A$2,250-A$2,750 in Australia excluding taxes, annual registration and insurance.

* Procedure:
1. Read our website
2. Contact us for a written quotation
3. Decide to ship a car
4. Send to us a completed shipping and liability form and send to Canberra a completed personal import approval application form
5. We arrange the export and our costs are settled
6. Canberra/DoTaRS issues an import approval
7. The car is handed to us and we ship it to Australia
8. We send the shipping papers to you after the ship has sailed
9. Shipping papers are put together with the import approval and all your car papers for the authorities when the car arrives
10. An Agent can assist with the importation at destination
11. Obtain a valuation when the car arrives
12. Pay the import taxes
13. The car is collected and then made roadworthy and registered.

There is more reading on their web site...Hope it helps

·
155 Posts
Did not realise it was that cheap to ship over. sold mine today and i am gutted. prob would have got more money if i had shipped it out and sold it there. might look in to buying a couple of mKiv now ship them over with me and sell them, make a bit of money. i forgot to add my car was in mint condition the dealer even said it was the best one he had seen then offered 16k.

·
1,084 Posts
Gutted to hear about the low price yours went for biggs.

CraziScot, sorry, my mate only deals with imports into the UK. I only have an idea about prices from Japan too.

biggs, bear in mind what I said about the minimum time of ownership before and after shipping... this is to stop everybody trying to make a living by international car dealing. The laws for commercial importing/exporting are quite different to personal imports (basically, it costs you more in taxes).

Personally, I wish I'd bought a new Nissan GT-R over here for 50grand, I would've had it by now, and could probably sell it for similar money back in the UK in a couple of years) - just a shame I needed 5 doors, and don't have 50grand eh?

Enjoy your life in the sun........:cool:

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers Paulie, spot on advice. The site I read was posting rough prices at around £5K!

Thats a real ball ache Paulie, I really can't think of being without the R32 let alone letting it go for well under its value!!!!

Oh well Tokyo Dub, shy kids don't get any sweets......

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow im really late in responding to this post haha.
yea im from Melbourne, Australia...if you still need help a year on let me know haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.