VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I was driving along last night went round a corner and the t/c light flashed at me a few times for no reason...2 corners later and bang. RAC came out to recover me and showed me a huge split in the diff, they told me I need a new "final drive rear diff". Got told by the recovery bloke that a garage he knows has a few for sale and iv taken there number to give them a ring Monday morning. Just thought I'd check on here first to see if anybody has 1? I'm about an hour from Exeter and I'm willing to travel to collect or if its really far will cover postage.
Thanks in advance!

·
4,420 Posts
give lucifer a PM, he usually has one lying around

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Basically, I was driving along last night went round a corner and the t/c light flashed at me a few times for no reason...2 corners later and bang. RAC came out to recover me and showed me a huge split in the diff, they told me I need a new "final drive rear diff". Got told by the recovery bloke that a garage he knows has a few for sale and iv taken there number to give them a ring Monday morning. Just thought I'd check on here first to see if anybody has 1? I'm about an hour from Exeter and I'm willing to travel to collect or if its really far will cover postage.
Thanks in advance!
That's not good news mate! hope you get it sorted ok.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately after having a look myself this morning I'm not sure it's the rear diff! Although i have limited knowledge with cars! Iv popped the bonnet and if I look down at the back and sort of underneath the engine that's were the hole is and that isn't the rear diff is it? I'm guessing maybe the transfer box? The prop shaft runs out of where the hole is basically!

·
19,389 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems.

From what you describe it does sound like the transfer box and not the rear diff. as the latter is at the rear of the car

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly wot I was thinking, god knows what the recovery bloke was saying. As I said I have limited knowledge and I was pretty sure the rear diff was at the back of the car.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
seville said:
Exactly wot I was thinking, god knows what the recovery bloke was saying. As I said I have limited knowledge and I was pretty sure the rear diff was at the back of the car.
REAR diff ;-)

Give Lucifer a PM

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
We are trying to work out what is actually broken first.
Picture of the offending item.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to say earlier, it will still move under its own power. But it feels like every other second or so the back wheels lock up and get dragged. Not saying that actually happens just the feeling from driving it 10 yards on to the low loader. Iv tried to get some more photos of the surrounding area but not been very successfull and as soon as I figure out how to upload them I will! Cheers to every1 helping out on this by the way, I'd be lost without every1s help!

·
575 Posts
As said its the transfer box that has a hole in it. In the pic two above you can see the engine block on the left (dirty black painted), and the two bolts above the barcode hold it onto the gearbox diff output.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brilliant, thanks very much for every1s help! Hopefully get the transfer box sorted asap and get it booked in and fitted. Is it a pain in the ass of a job to fit?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Brilliant, thanks very much for every1s help! Hopefully get the transfer box sorted asap and get it booked in and fitted. Is it a pain in the ass of a job to fit?
I wouldnt tackle it yourself if i use your words of 'im not mechanically minded'

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not even considering it! Took me a few attempts to replace my brake light switch lol if it wasn't for this forum I'd still be trying! Was just bracing myself for a big labour bill to come in that's all.

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
Met SEVILLE tonight who paid cash for a replacement transfer box but you need to find out why the original one went bang mate. Took him and his friend for a nice leisurely drive in my R32 around the countryside as well .....

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Lucifer said:
Met SEVILLE tonight who paid cash for a replacement transfer box but you need to find out why the original one went bang mate. Took him and his friend for a nice leisurely drive in my R32 around the countryside as well .....
I haven't yet

·
4,420 Posts
I need to go in your car, so i can see what 585bhp feels like

1 - 20 of 27 Posts