VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all, just had a phone call off the other halves father who works on the oil rigs. After a few questions asking what tickets I had for scaffolding he then presented me with a dilemma, offering me a job out with him. I don't know anything about them really so was just seeing if any of you guys on here could give me an idea of what rig life is like?

Thanks in advance, Dan.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi. I only know from ex work colleagues an they're interests in this that it seems good for money wise and I believe the work patterns are along the lines of 2 months on an 2 months off then 3 in an 2 off etc. or there abouts. It's is probably quite secure job too. Hope all works out for you mate.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's the biggest attraction by a long way, its nearly five times my earnings at the moment! My worrys are that I'm pretty much at the top of my current job and I'd be starting at the bottom of a new company, but like you say i imagine it would be quite secure as well. I'd be doing two weeks on two weeks off which is spot on for me really as iv got a young family at home.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I currently work offshore, and offshore work is never secure, especially wind farms. When the moneys coming in it's all good but when it isn't you'll need to budget yourself, personal experience both having work and when work isn't available, to a point i'm currently looking at other options too.

·
624 Posts
I can only speak about the Norwegian rigs, you are maybe offered job on the English side? Rig life is very nice here if you work with anything but scaffolding. LoL That is a bit of a crap job. I have had mates working with it and they didn't stay long. Often you build up on very unavailable places and in the winter with wind it is damn cold. Also the best arrangement is 2 weeks out and 3 or 4 weeks home. Just imagine if you work night shift for 2 weeks and only have 2 weeks free; it takes you quite a few day's into your 2 weeks free to change your rhythm back.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know it's an English rig yes, I don't mind the cold to be honest although it is going to be a bit more extreme than I am used to! Unfortunately you are right to a certain degree about scaffolding being pants, the biggest problem for me is the wages around my area don't go too high. In all honesty I would be going with the mindset of working my ass off, saving as much money as possible for a few years then leaving. Yeah I see your point with the time it takes to adapt back to normal also. Iv been told that It would be quite secure as well because apparently they are struggling to get anybody to work out there, which is good news but then makes you wonder why nobody else will do it?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was also told jobs were secure if working out there once I had the tickets, this proved not to be the case and its difficult industry to get into, I've been working offshore for 2 years so far and although its enjoyable and I like it, the work slows down certain months of the year.

Meaning your waiting longer than you want.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Best thing I ever done! 2 weeks on 2 off and 4 weeks holiday a year= being off work more than I'm there! Semi retired! You miss out on things like bdays etcbut you get to go to a lot off things you usually wouldn't, quality time with kids if you have any...
Go for it mate!!

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is that the holiday entitlement that your given 28 days? I thought it would have been less seeing as how you only work 26 weeks of the year, like you said with doing two weeks on two weeks off seems a good deal! Yeah it's sort of a double edged sword in that respect. I have got two young kids and although 2 weeks of every month away from them does sound appealing at times lol, I do have a feeling I could miss them a lot at times also!

·
Registered
993 Posts
seville said:
Is that the holiday entitlement that your given 28 days? I thought it would have been less seeing as how you only work 26 weeks of the year, like you said with doing two weeks on two weeks off seems a good deal! Yeah it's sort of a double edged sword in that respect. I have got two young kids and although 2 weeks of every month away from them does sound appealing at times lol, I do have a feeling I could miss them a lot at times also!
Yup that's 28 days to take off as well as your leave, I'm going to work on Tuesday, 2 weeks on then I've got an extra 2 weeks holiday booked so in all ill be off 6 weeks,
As long as the mrs can handle being on her own half the time I'd give it a go mate, the money isn't really astronomical, but it the time off, !! Well worth it!

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's surprising really but it's definitely a bonus! From what her fathers said the money would be astronomical compared to what is earnt around my way. What do you do off shore if you don't mind me asking? Am I right in thinking I require a survival ticket and a medical before I can actually start as well?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Medicals are pants for rigs. Nothing to worry about at all, just quite basic for basic people lol so if you want to work on rigs and have the determination then you will more than likely enjoy it. It is secure to a degree but like most jobs, unless in forces they all will be a chance of in security.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Medical as said is nothing, they look for hernias basically and people who have bad hearing, the average age offshore is in the 60's
I'm an electrical technician, work for a company servicing cranes..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts