VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Semi-Advanced Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a virgin router and broadband the other day it stopped working... You can connect to the router but not to the Internet. Our desktop will connect to the Internet when the router is in modem mode but as soon as you change it to wireless mode the connection is lost. Our desktop is connected to the router with an Ethernet cable... Any ideas? Virgin are usless

·
4,420 Posts
Im a BT engineer, and to be honest it sounds like a dodgy router, i get similar things all day long, if it wasn't working at all then id say its something outside, but if it definitely works in modem mode then the router is shagged, ring virgin up and get them to send you a new one
im not familiar with virgin stuff but i assume its similar

·
Registered
102 Posts
have you tried logging onto the router and resetting it factory defaults? - looks like a backwards piece of kit tbh.. not sure why they have made it so you have to be in two separate modes to use wireless and wired connections.. mehr, thats virgin for ya .... still poo poos all over BT and sky though

·
4,420 Posts
have you tried logging onto the router and resetting it factory defaults? - looks like a backwards piece of kit tbh.. not sure why they have made it so you have to be in two separate modes to use wireless and wired connections.. mehr, thats virgin for ya .... still poo poos all over BT and sky though
BT are limited by the government lol, if they wanted to they could poo all over virgin, but they have to be fair to other companies like talk talk, sky, ee and plus net, as they use BT's network but put their name on it, its also the reason bt charge more than other companies, because they have to, to meet trading standards, pretty shit really, bt are currently installing 330mb fibre, cant wait

·
Semi-Advanced Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's effin irritating to be honest.

It started last week when we had area network fault.. This has been fixed but our connection/hub still not working. Virgin keep telling us it will be working tomorrow.. Idiots.

Finally got an engineer coming tomorrow morning. He best bring a new hub with him!

·
4,420 Posts
It's effin irritating to be honest.

It started last week when we had area network fault.. This has been fixed but our connection/hub still not working. Virgin keep telling us it will be working tomorrow.. Idiots.

Finally got an engineer coming tomorrow morning. He best bring a new hub with him!
slip him a fiver

·
Registered
102 Posts
BT are limited by the government lol, if they wanted to they could poo all over virgin, but they have to be fair to other companies like talk talk, sky, ee and plus net, as they use BT's network but put their name on it, its also the reason bt charge more than other companies, because they have to, to meet trading standards, pretty shit really, bt are currently installing 330mb fibre, cant wait
hahah, im no engineer so I will have to believe you
I thought there was plenty of dark fiber already in the pavements?
when you say BT are installing it, do you mean they are upgrading their kit in the exchanges to 'try' and handle the increased bandwidth? heh

SONET oc192 is what you want zig mate

the engineers will sometimes leave you a load of cable if you ask them nicely - ask fat, he'll tell ya

·
Been That long I can not reMember
1,162 Posts
330mb fibre....... OMG!!! Me want xD

·
Registered
977 Posts
About f'ing time too....BT are a pre historic company, who've spent the last 50 years raping their customers and trousering the profit instead of investing it back in the infrastructure.... That's why were behind most other developed countries

They've just announced that Yorkshire is in the pipeline to be completed 2015

·
Registered
559 Posts
Zig said:
We have a virgin router and broadband the other day it stopped working... You can connect to the router but not to the Internet. Our desktop will connect to the Internet when the router is in modem mode but as soon as you change it to wireless mode the connection is lost. Our desktop is connected to the router with an Ethernet cable... Any ideas? Virgin are usless
I've had issues with virgin modem routers for years, I no longer use wireless as I hardwired an Ethernet through the house, you'll get a much stronger, faster and reliable connection. This works for me anyway, I'm a gamer and download a lot but if you've got an iPad/laptop then you of course you'll find wireless is more suitable but I've got a desktop and consoles so no need to move around the house

·
Super Admin
6,829 Posts
Personally I'm going to bet its not the router and is instead just the ISP. At least that seems to be the case with me and TalkTalk!

However, if you are correct an easy solution around this would be to buy a home starter kit like this

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/15854788756434727251?q=home+starter+network+adapter&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.51773540,d.d2k,pv.xjs.s.en_US.GZikMza0zSU.O&biw=1056&bih=537&tch=1&ech=1&psi=m_guUqjXDMOr0QWYm4DQDQ.1378810010099.7&sa=X&ei=r_guUv_nGY2qhQeGnoCYDw&ved=0CIQBEIIIMAk

There are others that are cheaper.. I'm just showing you the general product.

·
2,204 Posts
My Infinity connection drops regularly (at BT's end) but I do at least get the full 'up to' 70Mb when it's working. I try to ring them but give up after 10 mins of holding.

NTL was the best broadband I ever had. A solid connection that never dropped and no contention in the evenings.

·
Semi-Advanced Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fixed..

New hub was needed. So we basically got lied to by virgin for a week. We have been rininig them twice a day for week and every time the answer was... There is a problem in your area it will be fixed at such and such a time

·
2,204 Posts
Half the battle with these call centres is getting through the right person.

Some people have better luck with an aftermarket router. Netgear are usually pretty decent for the money.

·
1,000 Posts
I have a virgin router & broadband and I don't have to switch between modes. my desktop is connected with Ethernet, PC downstairs and laptop, tablet & phone run off the wireless.

Have you tried resetting the router by pressing the button on the left hand side?

·
Admin
9,271 Posts
I have been with NTL/Virgin since they came round where I live.

I have never had any major problems with them in all that time...you can count on 2 hands the amount of days I have lost internet .

I was told the new router is crap for wireless as I want to use a comp at the end of the garden so I was told to get 1 of these and switch the wireless off on the router.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B007W16SMO

http://www.amazon.co...al-band adapter

I have not got it yet but will some time.

·
Semi-Advanced Member
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Paulie, I've read that a lot this week, off to pc world later to have a look

1 - 20 of 27 Posts