VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am off to New York and then over to Florida, Orlando. But I was thinking of renting a mustang and driving down to Miami as well. Just wondered if anyone on here has driven in America and could tell me what it's like? Easy?

Cheers
Alex

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
19,389 Posts
Yip, it's a piece of cake:)

·
678 Posts
Just remember there are lots of cross roads with stop signs no traffic lights.

·
19,389 Posts
Just remember there are lots of cross roads with stop signs no traffic lights.
Yeah, you just give way to who was there before you.

After a couple of hors it's second nature. Just got to be careful when it's dark and hou're tired as your instincts revert to UK mode.

·
678 Posts

·
19,389 Posts
Depending upon the time of year, Florida can have some scary weather. I was working in Orlando in 2004 and between July and October we had 3 Hurricanes and 1 Tropical Storm.

Roads are straight, cars are auto and as long as you remember to look the right way, you'll be fine.

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depending upon the time of year, Florida can have some scary weather. I was working in Orlando in 2004 and between July and October we had 3 Hurricanes and 1 Tropical Storm.

Roads are straight, cars are auto and as long as you remember to look the right way, you'll be fine.
Going may next year. I think the worst of it will be keeping on the wrong side of the road

·
19,389 Posts

·
19,389 Posts
I have got into the wrong side of the car a couple of times and lost the hire car in one of the Disney car parks:)

·
19,389 Posts
Hahaha easily done I guess. I don't understand why all there cars are auto though? Pure laziness?

Once you drive there, you'll soon see why they are all autos:)

In the areas I've driven in the US, a manual would have been a waste.

·
206 Posts
You can turn right at red lights when it's clear to do so unless there is a sign stating that you can't. Plus I'm sure in Florida, if your window wipers are on, your lights must be on also. You can also overtake in any lane.

Certain roads have minimum as well as maximum speed limits.

I would advise when on the highway to stay one lane in from the outside as the outer most lane will always end up becoming a slip road and changing lanes is sometimes tricky.

Some signals flash amber lights at night. For the life of me I can't remember why. They might just be part time signals.

I hired a camaro in '10 and had a mustang last year. Of the 2, the camaro is a nicer car to drive. The auto 'box in the mustang did nothing for it - nor did the soft suspension and Eco tyres. But I think mustangs are cheaper to hire. Plus it's an American icon so is a must. Just my 2 cents.

·
742 Posts
More often than not,you'll find you have to pay for petrol before you fill up! Or you'll just stand there like a tool,with nothing happening!

·
19,389 Posts
More often than not,you'll find you have to pay for petrol before you fill up! Or you'll just stand there like a tool,with nothing happening!
I just used a credit card and pay at pump.

IIRC, you need to flick down the holder the nozzle came out of for the pump to start working. Confused the hell out of me first time I had to fill up.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Watch out for large cows mid courtship too!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts