VW Golf R32 Forum banner

Are heated seats THAT important? [Discuss]

3K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  Manu_R32 
#1 ·
Its no secret. I want harnesses. I want them badly.

No real explanation as to why, when i was working down south for 2 years my boss had a 550 maranello that was stripped out with factory ferrari carbon buckets and 6 point harnesse's.

I used to love driving in them, felt so secure, pinned you in the seat etc.

Now, ive just been offered some Cobra Misano S, in leather with carbon backs for a very good price.

Question is, do i care enough that the heated seat will no longer be there?

Discuss.

#2 ·
yes they are nice on a frosty morning to give you a blast first thing, but I never had them in any of my cars before the R and to be honest I didnt miss them.

I reckon if something did go amiss one day and I found myself heading for a ditch or worse i'd sooner have a 6 point harness system over a nicely toasted bottom!

#3 ·
Well im a hot blooded mail and I love the heated seats (But my bum is on fire on No 5 setting though)

Nice when @05:00 and its minus five.

#4 ·
I didn't even realise my R had them til my mate pointed it out after 6 months of ownership! But now its so cold and i use the car all the time, they are awesome! But a set of Misano's would be stunning with harnesses. Are you ditching the rear seats aswell? If you don't live in the car, i'd go for them, but if like me use it all day, jumping in and out, its too much hassell strapping in all the time imo.

#5 ·
i do use it ALL the time, but even then having harness's doesnt deter me!!

only thing i think may annoy me is when i have to give people lifts.

I was looking at schroth harnesses that use all the factory seat belt points and retain the original belt!

#7 ·
my seats are permanently on 4, i dont have the assfat to cope with setting 5 :D

couldnt live without them though, to the point that when i drive my gti i miss them

ive owned a car with 4 point harness's and i did get bored of clicking in everytime, and teaching new passengers became a bore eventually to the point the novelty wore off. i guess if your going to drive the car in a way that you'll benefit from the harness's then do it as long as you think you'll still feel that way in a few months time or a year later. they do look good if you buy the right sort, chavvy if you get it wrong. mine used to be anchored in the rear so i did away with rear seats but that suited the car as i used to race it as often as i drove it

inertias will do me just fine in my car tho, convenient, easy, simle and neat...and a warm ass :D

do what make you happy mate not what impress's others :top:

#12 ·
roll cages are insurance nightmares. my insurance went up by £600 when i added a half cage from kingfisher customs to my old car and finding an insurance company that would believe me that it wasnt for road use only was tough, mention cages and they shy away and wont touch you or send your premiums through the roof

#13 ·
I've never had harnesses myself, but be aware that you can't lean forward to check if it's safe to pull out of a side street onto a main road.

Also, turning round to see out of the back window when reversing (although you are not legally obliged to wear a seatbelt when reversing - for this reason).

I love heated seats - but unless you maintain your leather well, it will cause them to crack prematurely, but I'm talking 8 years down the line. My old 94 Corrado (<70K mileage) had really badly cracked leather seats, I presume from lack of maintenance and too much butt warming.

I can't imagine a girl being comfy in a harness.

I would go for the option of both types of seat belt, race harnesses are only gonna make you drive like a nutter more of the time. (Well, they would for me).

#14 ·
Heated seats are awesome.

I have found that they are most entertaining when carrying a female occupant in the passenger seat and then setting their seat to number 5. I sit giggling whilst you can see them squirming around after a few minutes wondering why there ass has suddenly started burning up.

Ahhhhh little things...... :aetsch:

#15 ·
Tokyo Dub said:
I've never had harnesses myself, but be aware that you can't lean forward to check if it's safe to pull out of a side street onto a main road.

Also, turning round to see out of the back window when reversing (although you are not legally obliged to wear a seatbelt when reversing - for this reason).

I love heated seats - but unless you maintain your leather well, it will cause them to crack prematurely, but I'm talking 8 years down the line. My old 94 Corrado (<70K mileage) had really badly cracked leather seats, I presume from lack of maintenance and too much butt warming.

I can't imagine a girl being comfy in a harness.

I would go for the option of both types of seat belt, race harnesses are only gonna make you drive like a nutter more of the time. (Well, they would for me).
haha, i drive like a nutter all the time anyway :laugh::rofl:

#16 ·
Sorry mate, but I'm all for heated seats as well :top:

Although a harness would be fantastic when hammering the car round a track where you need to be pinned to the seat, I think that for everyday road use you may find it a little restrictive.

If your g/f is into S&M then you may find she likes the idea of being pinned down into her seat... :D

#26 ·
I love my heated seats, me and the missus discuss this regularly when it's cold. I think it is just one of those amazing inventions that I don't know how I lived without it before I got the R. If I was getting a new car it would be something that I would want on the kit list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.