VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Bought an 09 R32 with standard cup holders center console and have bought a second hand leather arm rest with a media socket. I am also thinking of buying an RNS510 and fitting that, my question for everyone is what connection / wiring will the media input need from the arm rest to the head unit and how easy is it install?

Also is RNS10 DAB an option or not worth it and where is a good place to source one?
Do I even need to connect it if I get the RNS510?
Anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is the MDI unit - theres a wiring harness needed to connect this to RNS510 + you'll need the iPod/device cable for the MDI unit itself.
It's easy to fit to be honest run the cable through the centre console and up behind the RNS510, lots of room to do so, just requires lifting the gear surround and unscrewing the front storage tray for easier access.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply

Harness easily available? I take it I could control an ipod with the rns510 with this? Is this old tech now or is there a better way ie sd card for stored music for instance? To be honest was going to fit armrest anyway this one just had mdi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No i havn't and I was looking at the photo (arm rest not delivered yet) and was wondering if the air duck tunnel looks complete. Anyway where do I get the heater pipe from? Fleabay Im guessing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the armrest with heater pipe and recently bought an RNS 510, MDI kit and loom. I take it I need to buy the other armrest like the one listed above? Can't be retrofitted to my current arm rest?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for reply

Harness easily available? I take it I could control an ipod with the rns510 with this? Is this old tech now or is there a better way ie sd card for stored music for instance? To be honest was going to fit armrest anyway this one just had mdi.
I got mine on eBay, not cheap for what they are £30-40 i think.
MDI in armrest > wiring harness > RNS510 & plug iPod with mdi iPod/iphone cable only (not MDI usb cable with iPod usb plugged into that as this does not work) then your RNS510 will control ipod/iphone etc. Can use SD card to which ever you more readily use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.