VW Golf R32 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Fitted a used kenwood double din I bought on ebay, couldn't find anything on the shelves that looked remotely smart looking, there all too overdone with chrome shite. this one I got was around £500 new a couple years ago, so still got all the features although without DAB but I can live with that.

Also got my new daily driver today to keep the miles off the R. and to save a little money on fuel.

It's a Y reg TDI, 1 owner from new, 88k miles, full dealer history, serviced annually since new. all in all a really good buy, might not be much to look at but an ideal run around to get to work.
I did clean the EGR out straight away due to it having an elderly owner (average speed over last 7000 miles on the trip was 20mph returning 57mpg)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Made the most of todays weather to get a couple little jobs done,

First changed the header tank, found syringing the coolant out was the easiest way, luckily had a big syringe as it took long enough with that.

also painted the coolant and washer bottle caps in anthracite grey, see how long it stays on there

Then changed the aerial base seal, quite a fiddly job to get the nut back on but got there in the end.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Spent the morning changing my centre console front and rear panels for new ones, due to the usual peeling problem, looks 10x better now, I was going to scrub the 'soft touch' stuff off and paint but the rest of the panel was looking a little tatty too.

Couldnt find any felt tape so used the soft side of these sticky pads to stop the panels creaking like they do.
From B&Q if anyone wants to use them.

Also.. there seems to be a fair bit of wear in the plastic gearstick joint, has anyone changed the gearstick? and has it made a big improvement, also.. is it hard to do?

Reactions: pastyfarian

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Also.. don't do what I did and fit everything back together, go to get fuel, then realise you forgot to plug the fuel cap button back in haha

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thats a job i want to do, the center console rattling preventing. Has it worked? Do you just notice the rattiling every else? I know I have one in the rear. Almost like the parcel shelf is jumping, i got both boot spacers so it shouldn't. Good work

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thats a job i want to do, the center console rattling preventing. Has it worked? Do you just notice the rattiling every else? I know I have one in the rear. Almost like the parcel shelf is jumping, i got both boot spacers so it shouldn't. Good work
Found mine was making a squeeking noise and its the 2 pegs that fit into the dash that usually cause this, so far so good, been really quiet.
Not sure about parcel shelf,not had the issue myself before, although a car I bought to break for parts once had foam strips along the side panels where the parcel shelf sits. This should help your problem,
Cheers

·
1,066 Posts
Good job on stopping that squeaking noise from the center console. It drives me nuts. So much, in fact, that I have removed the offending item and its now feeling sorry for itself sat in my garage. I will look into buying that stuff that you have used and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip!!

Cheers Alan

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Good job on stopping that squeaking noise from the center console. It drives me nuts. So much, in fact, that I have removed the offending item and its now feeling sorry for itself sat in my garage. I will look into buying that stuff that you have used and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip!!

Cheers Alan
Thanks Alan,
I think the best stuff to use is felt tape, but that would of involved driving into town on a saturday

B&Q is nice and handy on the outskirts, but then again it's done the job and is very adhesive so can't complain

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Nice job! Where did you buy the center console?
From a VW dealer, as I work there I got it a little cheaper but normally around £100 for both panels.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Everything ready for Thursday.. Don't think the bank accounts ready though

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Had the clutch + flywheel done, along with new chains, rails, tensioners, sprockets.

Clutch is fairly fierce but i'm assuming that's expected with any new clutch?

All in all though, its so much nicer to drive, certainly improved the throttle response and pulls so much better through the gears.

Unfortunately I didn't get chain readings beforehand but there was a big visible difference between the old tensioner and the new one so the chain had stretched a fair bit.

The chain noise from the engine has all but gone aswell, so really glad I had it done.

And from the pic below, its safe to say the clutch was due

Going back together

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Should be like new when you get it back
Its a different car to drive all together, just need to get used to the new clutch

21 - 40 of 56 Posts