VW Golf R32 Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Got a new knob. ;)

After fitting the new centre console panels, it just showed how worn the old one was. So decided to treat her to a new one.

IMG_4006_zpsd1cqnhzj.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi mate, do you know the retail price for the gear knob as I'm thinking about getting one. Will be doing the same with mine trying to fix the centre console noise, it's so annoying!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Took my center console apart on saturday and stopped the the squeeking, basically felted every tab, joint and any part didnt go down directly onto the carpet. No more squeeks , feels more solid aswell which is odd. Just notice the rest of the car now....

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hi mate, do you know the retail price for the gear knob as I'm thinking about getting one. Will be doing the same with mine trying to fix the centre console noise, it's so annoying!
£160 from VW inc vat mate, @nino has a link from Germany where you can get them for £120 though

Took my center console apart on saturday and stopped the the squeeking, basically felted every tab, joint and any part didnt go down directly onto the carpet. No more squeeks , feels more solid aswell which is odd. Just notice the rest of the car now....
Glad to hear you sorted it, but yes, can hear everything else now hah

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Finally got round to fitting my new gear stick, love it, has a much more grippy feel to it now rather than the greasy smooth finish of the 12 year old one.

+ Took delivery of my CAI Kit from R-Tech, feels a little less sluggish, and sounds better too : )

Now working on a cold air feed for it from the front lower grille.

Also now have a used gear stick and stock air box with freshly cleaned k&n panel filter for sale, message me if interested.

photos:

IMG_4082_zpsxpvvkcgm.jpg

IMG_4083_zps0nhubexl.jpg

IMG_4113_zpsprxgzlvg.jpg

IMG_4112_zpsqudrisyg.jpg

·
295 Posts
New stick looks great. Easy to fit?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
New stick looks great. Easy to fit?
yeah, getting the old clip off is a bit of a fiddle, not worth trying to save it so easiest to cut it or use screwdriver to pry it open

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I got round to making up my cold air feed today, I don't know if it'll even make any difference but hopefully it will.

This is only feeding cold air to within the heat shield, its not going into a closed box and being sucked in and I very rarely take the car out in the wet too so I can't see it ever being an issue.

The only thing I may do, is get a reasonably fine mesh to cover it just to stop too many flies going up there.

So I bought a RamAir duct and funnel off of ebay, which can be found here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ramair-76mm-ID-x-1m-Black-Flexible-Cold-Air-Feed-Ducting-Intake-With-1-End-Cap-/391446877567?hash=item5b240d557f:g:vzQAAOSwY3RXJp2e

To fit, rather than remove the bumper I just took the battery out to gain easy access, you will need to modify the plastic trim that the original snorkel goes into.

Also, because I went cracking on with cutting out the hole in the grille, I did it in the wrong place :D ideally it wants to be closer to the temp sensor to clear the metal work behind, I did manage to make it work by temporarily removing the low tone horn (horn sounds a bit pathetic at the minute) I'll relocate when bumpers next off.

I'm sure someone will have a negative view, but it can be easily reversed if it does pick up excessive debris or draws any water.

also.. function over form ;)

Photos:

The 'kit'

IMG_4198_zpstfsumdf0.jpg

Before:

IMG_4197_zpsmhjrc4vw.jpg

Battery Out:

IMG_4199_zpsq4dwpj6a.jpg

Squeezing the hose in:

IMG_4201_zpsu8lcfgjd.jpg

Although the hole is central, it's not because of the angle

IMG_4203_zpsnc897mod.jpg

Tucked out the way

IMG_4205_zpsljl8oahk.jpg

The hose ends right at the opening of the heatshield

IMG_4206_zps76hxesls.jpg

Again, hole looks too low, wants to be more to the right and be further up.

I have a couple spare grilles so will swap over when I can get another hole cut. (borrowed tool)

IMG_4207_zpshyiiohe7.jpg

and back together

IMG_4208_zpsuumuijum.jpg

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Can't believe it was May I last updated this, wheres the year gone!

Couple small updates..

Repairs:
- New rear ARB and drop links as I had a bit of a sway on the back end.
- Polybushed the dog bone mount which cured the jumpy gear changes.
- I had a slightly erratic idle, removed and cleaned the throttle body, runs perfect now.

Modifications:
Couple months ago I met up with Franko and he converted my clocks to full FIS ones with lit needles and miles to empty :)

2631906b076e2ddd1ce9b2a378c4bab3.jpg

The 'Car Status' icon is flashing due to low screenwash, its not broke ;)
2df51274cd06d4cc0f848dd78defc91d.jpg

Also sourced a mint condition mfd navigation unit, great improvement in sound quality over the gamma unit.
Of course its old school and doesnt come close to modern technology but I like the OEM look, I usually have the exhaust soundtrack anyways :)
3cc95a6af5a559181664b29c75d0bcee.jpg
061986939203db98c195da066bd43785.jpg

The result: a much 'fresher' looking cockpit, surprising how much more modern the full fis display feels for such a small change
83336faea9a16bd8216a8377bfe9ac7e.jpg

Not a very eventful 6+ months anyway..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
W8 light installed ????????complete with white LED's.

Before:
88cd86a5dcebff3a26ad7d20a1c94491.jpg

After:
021808d2a40ce0b0b663f6f25eb47e2d.jpg
d7a76120d27d50c057c944592c0c8575.jpg
3ca50a4b4de3e478a61c5f5ac7c2d803.jpg

·
877 Posts
You've been busy :) Are you not worried about the risk of running that air intake, or do you only run the car on dry days with no rain? I know of a few R32 engines killed by those things, two that come to mind are a guy that used to be a regular on the forums "Haf1zur", he broke an engine by sucking in water through a bumper intake. Alfie recently helped to break an R32 that suffered the same fate. Also my R32 (R18 conversion) was written off (which led to me buying it as a project) because the engine was broken by hydro-locking.

·
2,958 Posts
You've been busy :) Are you not worried about the risk of running that air intake, or do you only run the car on dry days with no rain? I know of a few R32 engines killed by those things, two that come to mind are a guy that used to be a regular on the forums "Haf1zur", he broke an engine by sucking in water through a bumper intake. Alfie recently helped to break an R32 that suffered the same fate. Also my R32 (R18 conversion) was written off (which led to me buying it as a project) because the engine was broken by hydro-locking.
Yeh man, its a risk running that, Alfie and I broke the car for Colin.
Water sucked up, Hydro locked the rod and shot a 4" hole through the bottom end of block.
Not a very good Induction Set Up... :(

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
@FRANKO180 @MJVR6 sorry this computer doesn't let me quote.

but its not a 'suction pipe' its just channelling air into the heat shield area. I don't drive in the wet if I can help it anyways.

but I did get caught in a freak rain storm once, after the journey I checked the filter and it was bone dry, No water in the heat shield area at all. I was amazed, been on there for around 7k miles now, and the filter is still spotlessly clean. so all seems well.

those chaps that knackered the engine had one of those forge ram air kits I expect (or whichever brand they are), that sucked air up from low down

·
2,958 Posts
@FRANKO180 @MJVR6 sorry this computer doesn't let me quote.

those chaps that knackered the engine had one of those forge ram air kits I expect (or whichever brand they are), that sucked air up from low down
Shiiite set up..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
New front stoppers fitted ????????
Found the pads on ebay as 'new old stock' for £60, then bought a complete front brake set up off an audi tt as it had nearly new genuine discs and sold the rest on, all in all i've done front discs and pads for around £100, saving several hundred £££, happy days.

Gave the calipers and carriers a bit of paint too
96e5132cf77330d264a5570de5afaddb.jpg
e0b0c545f1f3a760ef89776b1f6abf40.jpg
4849b432dff5f8ec8fdb011c9edc7256.jpg

Reactions: flatlemon
41 - 56 of 56 Posts