VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night i was driving home and a astra vxr flew past me ,so i had to catch him.i followed him for about a mile ,and by the time i got to him i was doing around 145.i must say the VXR was abit twitchy at that speed.but it was a good run out for my car. the r32 is very stable at high speeds ive got to say.them astras are similar power to the r32 but the 4wd wins the point for me.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
I know which car I'd rather be in at those speeds... definately the R!

·
1,184 Posts
Lovely drive in the Astra I thought but I just couldn't make my mind up on the styling-plus which sounds better, I drive an Astra or I drive an R?!

·
5,616 Posts
S19 MYD said:
...plus which sounds better, I drive an Astra or I drive an R?!
I hope it wasn't a difficult decision :D

·
402 Posts
Doesn't the Astra have the mother of all torque steer?

I am sure one of those crazy vauxhalls had a big problem with that and so those speeds must have been entertaining for that driver!

My old pd150 mk4 was remapped and the torque steer on that made it feel like it was trying to kill you!! (good car tho)

·
1,149 Posts
I have to say, even with 4wd I dont fancy my chances against one of those VXR's they're lighter so they have a better power to weight ratio, and with light fettling they'd quite happily show you who's boss!

·
558 Posts
I've driven a stage 3 VXR... and HOLY mother of god it goes like stink. But it also torque steers like you're running jet engines.

The R sounds, and feels so much sturdier... it's almost a dead heat with a standard VXR in my experience... but like is said above... the Dub wins all hands down.

·
31 Posts
my mechanic mate has the nurnburg(spelling:confused:,the white one).not much differance to the normal one except styling and a remus exhaust as standard,anyway he took my R one day to the garage he works at an had a good blast in it.he reckons that the vxr would take the golf on take of to 70 or so,then says the golf would leave the astra after that.both cars are standard.i used to have the gsi astra mk4 they were quite quick when you got them going just getting the thing to stop spinning is the problem to much power through the front wheels

·
5,499 Posts
I encountered a VXR one time around Milton Keynes, we had a great tussle around the roundabouts and straights that Milton Keynes is made up of. His car would massively understeer/wheel spin away accelarating out of the damp roundabouts, the R32 just devoured them. On the motorway there wasn't a great deal in it, only at the very top end did the R32 really pull away.
Afterwards he told me his car was stock (it was a brand spanker at the time), so I can only wonder what a remapped one would be like!

·
716 Posts
The astra is a great car, and superb value for money, they are quite cheap now, but compared to the Golf's, there is no comparison, even if they do go well.. just the build quailty and general plastic feel in the astra's lost the sale when i was looking at them before buying a Golf GTI.

·
211 Posts
i have genuinely had a good go against 2 astra vxr's to autobahn speeds (in germany of course) - my car is stock and all i can say is that there is nothing in it until you start to find a slight curve in the road and the vxr's handling is very poor - thats when the r32's engineering shows itself and mark my words around a curve you will gently leave one behind ........ anyone who says different i dont think has experienced it !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts