VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had my wheels of and seen my discs and pads are getting low, maybe 4-5 months left with the amount of miles i do.

im planning on a few engine mods this year to try and reach the magic 300bhp mark without forced induction. my question is, is it worth upgrading to say the ecs stage 5 for 300bhp? or will the standard ones be plenty? or maybe just uprated discs and pads?

what do you think??

thanks. rob

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I'd say the standard ones are good for 300bhp, Quite few of the brake upgrades i've looked at are only using the same size discs.

Still £1200 would give you some serious stopping power , have a look at Awesome-gti's site.

·
616 Posts
The standard brakes are good for 300bhp, on the road! After a good thrash down the back lanes they may feel a bit spongy but they still work. On the track however the stock brakes don't last very long! I turned mine blue after a few laps and they were never the same after that, possibly due to the rock hard pads VW use. I do have the ECS stage 5 brakes on mine and they are very good. As much as I try I still haven't experienced and brake fade on these babies. They feel like stock until you start using them hard which is a good thing, and you can feel them working more through the pedal. In all honesty it's hard to get the ABS to cut in now as they work so well. I even went for the drilled/vented discs and they haven't split anywhere so I've been very impressed! You just need to keep them clean and they look the nuts!

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im seriously considering the stage 5's, they look amazing! did you need spacers on the front to fit them? also what is the rear kit like to fit? ive heard there not as easy as ecs make out?

·
616 Posts
rob_watti said:
im seriously considering the stage 5's, they look amazing! did you need spacers on the front to fit them? also what is the rear kit like to fit? ive heard there not as easy as ecs make out?
They do need spacers and to be honest I wasn't too keen of fitting them but provided you get hubcentric spaces everything will fine. I went for 10mm all round to ensure I didn't upset the balance. The rears are a bit of a pain and it does require a bit of grinding, but my mechanic said the amount needed to come off was nothing to worry about so I went ahead with it and never looked back :151:

·
616 Posts
rob_watti said:
cool cheers mate, did you get them direct from ecs?
No, they won't sell direct! Or they didn't.... They will point you towards www.jbrperformance.co.uk or something like that? They wouldn't do me a deal but if you do go for it make sure you do get a geal as the dollar is worth nothing at the moment! Best of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts