VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Autoglass Windscreen Replacement - Insurance Claim

I contacted Autoglass to have a chip repaired, on the windscreen of my MKV, while repairing the chip it cracked and now i need a new windscreen.

Question Is: How do I stand to make sure I get a genuine VW OEM windscreen ?

Thread will be updated through the process.

I thought i would share my experience with anyone else on here who has to go down the replacement OEM route.

Link to Glassman's VW R32 Windscreen Thread.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Personally, I would insist on genuine parts. That said, TBH, it's a discussion which needs to take place before policy inception. IMO, it's a salient enough point, but the onus is on you to read (and understand) 64 pages of smallprint!

ICOBS 6.1.5 (is a requirement)

"A firm must take reasonable steps to ensure a customer is given appropriate information about a policy in good time and in a comprehensible form so that the customer can make an informed decision about the arrangements proposed".

The whole process is designed to favour the insurer; they get to nominate a nationwide repairer, one who will give them a really good deal and in doing so becomes their "approved" repairer (which basically means the 'glass helpline' diverts to their call centre). This repairer might be giving them an average invoice deal.

Back to the failed attempt at repairing the chip - did the repairer make any attempt to cool down the screen before he started? What kind of equipment was he using?

A bit about genuine versus aftermarket glass here. There's also the issue about who fits it. Whilst a Mk5 isn't the hardest job to do, there are so many fitters getting them wrong (and getting away with it!). Problems such as, damaging the interior A-pillar covers; scratching the paintwork under the trims; not removing the wiper cowl; wind noise and rain sensor not working are the most common issues. I was called in to investigate a problem on a Mk4 some time ago (the issue was wind noise and water ingress). After removing the windscreen, it was quite obvious that the could-not-give-a-feck-balloonhead-fitter had not removed the wipers or the wiper cowl:

Oh, and note that a lot of R32s will have blue glass.

Update 28.06.14

Thanks for you're response, the Autoglass Bloke didn't cool down the chip / window, he just wiped it clean, then carried out his work with a compressor kit in a box, once finished the chip had cracked more, I didn't pay the £25 but he personally didn't feel me with confidence.

On my year of car the front windscreen as I've been told is factory green tint.

I've took down everything that's on my current window for reference.

Anything to keep an eye out for ?

·
Registered
0 Posts
A familiar story. Did you sign anything before he attempted to repair the screen?

If not, you might have a case. Either way, even if you did, make sure your insurer is not billed for it.

If the screen is too hot, the chances of it cracking are higher. If the screen is hot, and the repair is using a repair kit which has pump attached to it, the chances of the screen cracking are even higher. I would guess it cracked for these two reasons.
What you said in that post about using a pump putting the chip under pressure, cracked and I had to sign before work was carried out otherwise they can't carry out the work, I'm going to phone insurance today to arrange getting a genuine glass.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's a scam. Their repair success rate suggests that. I used to work for 'em and the system is such that you would always be in fear of that suction cup breaking the screen especially in the hotter temperatures. When we asked them about hot screens, we were told to park the cars in the shade and put the aircon on (yet when you listen to or watch their adverts they say that putting your aircon on cracks the screen.... funny that). I reckon the success rate (by that I mean repairs that don't crack off) is prolly around 60%. Compare this to a better trained technician using a better kit with the right techniques, and the success rate is in the high nineties. Why do you think they are getting you to sign a disclaimer? The system is flawed, their technicians are not properly trained and it's a win win for them as when the attempt to repair fails they get to bill for a replacement. What a great business model which relies on such ethics.
If you pitch it right, and are persistent, you can take it to VW or your own preferred repairer (unless you policy specifically says that you can't, or if you do it will be at an extra cost). You can get what you want if you push the right buttons. It might mean that you pay and reclaim, but at least you get the result you want.

Their best guy still may not be good enough. He should, remove the A-pillar covers (interior). Remove the wipers and wiper cowl. When the windscreen is removed, it should be done without scratching the paintwork. When the old cured adhesive is cut back, it should also be done without scratching the paintwork (there may be some bare metal exposed during this and the black primer he might use will not protect against corrosion).

Pay special attention to the rain sensor too; they can be a bit tough to remove and are susceptible to damage. Check the functionality of the auto lights and wipers before the work is carried out, and more importantly, when the car is handed back to you.
Thanks I'll keep a close eye.

I've just phoned the insurance company and they took the details of my vehicle and it's come up with factory Blue tint But my windscreen is factory green tint so I made them aware of this.

Admiral & Autoglass are processing it for authorization

·
Registered
0 Posts
You didn't. Your inbound call would most probably have been diverted straight to the 'glassline'.In other words, the insurance company's prevailing repairer. They will answer the phone as "glassline" giving you the impression that you're talking to your insurance company's windscreen department. You're not.

If the glass is ordered from a genuine VW OEM supplier, there is rarely a mistake.
They are going to send it off to admiral for authorisation

·
Registered
0 Posts
The insurance industry's business model is such that it will take your money when there's no trouble, but will find a way to not pay it back when there is.

You argument should be based on the guy cracked the screen when it was perfectly repairable. He wouldn't have attempted the repair if it was repairable. And this is where it gets interesting. A lot of what they don't repair is quite repairable. A lot of what they fail at repairing could have been saved...

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/the-windscreen-chip-they-didnt-repair/

You simply want your car returned to the condition it was in before he damaged the screen beyond repair. He should have cooled the screen down so I would aim at a claim for negligence. You want a like-for-like replacement, and nothing else will do.
Spot on thanks Glassman

·
Registered
0 Posts
Had a lot of dealings with the screens on vw's

All r32 screens are blue tint on mk5's. Auto glass order these as they don't stock. They only stock gti green tint. They will not know you want a blue tint on an r32. You must tell them

Cost for Autoglass none insurance replacement £550

R32 screens are a thin laminate glass. Impossible to repair if you have any micro cracks running perpendicular to each other which 99% of chips do

You sign to say that the repair may crack the screen and you accept the risk

Call Autoglass direct, they will sort the insurance part. Hard work talking to insurance companies

Autoglass customer service is awsome. Had a leak on my mk4 gti screen after replacement. Branch manager called me to aplologise. Next morning a new screen was fitted free of charge

Chipped my r32 screen last year. Autoglass glass does not say vw but it is to the same quality and tint as it matches all other windows

You can get a cheap fix by getting a scrap screen. Replaced several windows on gti's doing this

Was insured with admiral when I got my 2 gti screens FYI
Late mk5 r32's are green tint windscreen as are my two rear windows and rear window.

They quoted me £400 for a genuine screen.

I've got through to my insurance that are in talks with Auto glass.

The repairer refused to start job unless I signed, he never mentioned it would be an aftermarket screen.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The knock-off Gucci leather gear in Turkey is almost the same quality as the genuine stuff too.

Yes, they're both glass. And that's usually the only two similarities.
Just got an email saying the below;:

Your welcome - sorry it got a little confusing.

My collegue had just confirmed to me that admiral has authorised the OE GLASS and that as soon as the glass is in we will contact you to arrange the appointment?

Thanks

Amanda

Can you let me know Glassman What to make sure when the guy is replacing the window ? I.e - a pillar covers, wiper and wiper cowl to be removed, what else ?

Thanks mate

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the email I got they stated The glass was ordered from the dealer off my vehicle chassis number and will be the correct glass that was in your car from the point of manufacture.

Lovely jubbley

·
Registered
0 Posts
How did the fitting go?
Update 20.07.14

I got the genuine glass fitted, it never lined up at the top correctly, glue was left around the glass / and after driving i discovered there was a blowing / vibration noise coming from the passenger lower side.

Then came the cost, it came in at 285 that I had to pay which was not mentioned in any emails or conversations which have all be saved incase of a scenario like this. so i paid up and Autoglass told me i then need to contact them and they will be in touch with Admiral and i shall be refunded the extra amount.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.