VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just woundering if any one can help, ive just bought a mk4 R32 less than a week ago and its one awesome bit of kit, the only thing that bothers me is when a back off the trottle it jerks, not massively but enough to be a pain in the arse...this happens around 60% of the time....dont know weather this is a commen problem or if anyone knows what it could be. Cheers

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

I have a similar thing despite being remapped. I have a feeling it's fairly common. Hopefully someone else will come in and let us know how to solve it!

·
1,184 Posts
A soft right boot is the answer and some strong calf muscles to ease it down IMO!

·
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the driving advice, however i think it could be more than my driving, i got used to it real quick despite the useless responce of my old VR6, it has been remapped by Revo, could this be a factor?

·
616 Posts
I'm not really sure what it is... Is it an engine jerk/pull or possibly the haldex?
If it's engine it could possibly be a duff/old MAF.
Could be worth swapping out the MAF with someone to test it....

·
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its more of a jeck mate, just slightly but like i said enough to bother me...im sure what the maf is, sorry im not anymore help just i normally take it to vw but R32 cost alot to maintaine by the dealers

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
the big v6 flexes alot under heavy load, and sudden disengagement of power can cause a sudden jerk of the engine block back to a neutral positon.

As decked has said, it could also be the haldex clutch disengaging for the same reasons above.

·
616 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about and I'm sure I had that problem but it was a long time ago. I'm sure I swapped the MAF and it cleared it up. But I don't want you to go out and buy a new MAF for it to have nothing to do with it (and they are fairly expensive, about £85 IIRC). If you know someone else with an R, swap the MAF over and see if it still does it. MAF= Mass Air Flow meter. It's between the airbox and the intake pipe.
you can see it here, just. With the yellow dot/sticker on it.

·
616 Posts
Wayne said:
the big v6 flexes alot under heavy load, and sudden disengagement of power can cause a sudden jerk of the engine block back to a neutral positon.

As decked has said, it could also be the haldex clutch disengaging for the same reasons above.
Ah ha! Now Wayne's said this.... Check your dog bone mount! I got a VF dogbone mount and that's what sorted it. Have VW or someone check the pendulum mount/dog bone mount.

·
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry mate my heads up my arse today...yeah i know what the maf is...i replace one on my vr (VERY PRICEY)....i have aonther R32 local...do you think it would be worth trying his on my R32?

·
616 Posts
I think it'll be more the engine mounts (dogbone).
I presume it's when you accelerate hard and back off quickly. And when you back off slowly it's fine or not as obvious. probably 1-3rd gear and possibly in 4th.....
If so it'll be when the engine twists and pops foreward when you let off.
HTH

·
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suppose i cant get the dogbone mount looked at, is this a commen fault and is it cheap to fix or put right???

·
5,616 Posts
hmmm, someone mentioned the dog bone mount when I was complaining of rough gear changes... and I'm guessing it's the same this as when lifting off.

Might have to get it looked at. Any more suggestions/confirmations would be great!!

·
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If im honest mate...my gear changes are rough also...im not heavy footed either so i think we could be onto something here....my local vw garage is 50yrds from my back door so ill check it out tomorrow and see if that can be the problem.. steve

·
5,500 Posts
dj.maca said:
Hi just woundering if any one can help, ive just bought a mk4 R32 less than a week ago and its one awesome bit of kit, the only thing that bothers me is when a back off the trottle it jerks, not massively but enough to be a pain in the arse...this happens around 60% of the time....dont know weather this is a commen problem or if anyone knows what it could be. Cheers
The car's are quite difficult to drive smoothly in and around town, which is really down to the overly sensitive throttle. Without really driving your car, it might not be actually anything wrong, it might actually be like that!

But if u do really have a problem, then it could be down to a remap (if it has one), or could be engine mounts/gearbox mounts allowing too much movement, which is one thing that comes to mind.

·
5,616 Posts
dj.maca said:
If im honest mate...my gear changes are rough also...im not heavy footed either so i think we could be onto something here....my local vw garage is 50yrds from my back door so ill check it out tomorrow and see if that can be the problem.. steve
That's great, I'd be very interested to hear what they say about it and also how much they'd quote to replace the dog bone mount if that is indeed what is causing the problems.

Thanks, Matt

·
133 Posts
Hi mate, when all is said and done I bet you it's your REVO remap, why because i've had one on my MK IV and it's exactly as you descibe. I'm fed up with it and I'm taking it to Vagcheck for a full diagnostic and try their stage two remap if indicated...
dj.maca said:

·
748 Posts
A light right foot and poly dog bone mount do help wonders. Seriously Get under your car remove the dog bone mount and then see how much you can move your engine. Its bloody scary takes so little effort to move it and rocks backwards and forwards like hell. For around £15 its a worthwhile upgrade doing the dog bone mount and takes about 10 mins to do lol.

·
5,616 Posts
vealige said:
For around £15 its a worthwhile upgrade doing the dog bone mount and takes about 10 mins to do lol.
That's what I needed to hear... am going to look into this soon, although I doubt I'll be able to fit it myself!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts