VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not really posted up here much due to my mad busy life but thought I would keep you lot up to date with my progress with the best car I have ever owned.

Picked this beast up with 77k on the clock around January time

I can honestly say it is the best car I have ever owned, even though the string of VWs before weren't without their charm (3x MK3 GTI, 1x Lupo GTI, 1x LUPO 16V sport, T4, B4 passat, and many others), the last one being a MK3 VR6 project which was awesome but the .:R really improves over everything that was missing...like traction lol.

Any way me being me, had to start playing with the .:R

First I started replacing parts of the ali trim which were not perfect, they're not cheap! Still a few bits to go but the worst ones have been swapped out.

Next came an alpine double din with bluetooth so I could use the phone as hands free so installed the mic in the proper location to keep it OEM.

Also got a black OEM badge for the front for a smoother look

Next up, I had to go low as always. I can't touch a dub for long before beating it with the lowering stick. So I managed to get hold of a set of Koni height and rebound adjustables...boom

Obviously the rears were a little high on full drop and fronts needed tweaking. I removed the rear adjusters to get the back down and fiddled with the front a bit. One major issue with this being the fact I live in wales and am surrounded by potholes and my road is speed bump heaven I decided this would be low enough.
While I was breaking my MK3 GTI which was sadly written off due to an incompetent driver (not me!) I managed to swap my TT comps for some BBS CHs...ok so they're reps but they have nearly new tyres and are 18" so I thought that they would be ok for now seeing as all 4 aristos had bald tyres.
Well being an .:R, 3 sets of spacers later I actually got them to fit bwahahha!

Crappy IPhone 5 pic..sorry

To be fair I was quite happy with the overall look but after owning mint sets of BBS RS and RMs it felt a bit weird running non genuine BBS so the hunt began for a new set of wheels.

What a nightmare it has been trying to find a set of 18" wheels that fit an .:R, in a style I like and that don't cost £4k.

Looked at CH genuine, good price, already know they suit the car but way too many mk4s rocking gens or reps.
Looked at the other BBS line up which were either bad design or £4k
Spoke to a Schmidt distributor, the style I liked were not available for the .:R unless 19"
Spoke to 3SDM about some custom splits and after much waiting.............

£4k...Great!

So I went back to the drawing board on the wheel front for a while

After a few of these;

I decided to cheer my self up with a private plate FTW! and head up to All Types, well it is 3 miles from my house so it would be rude not to, plus I know the guys running it any way.

Pic at all types. with my mates rocco. He also has a 260bhp Lupo (my old gti which he did an engine swap on) and a MK2 limited project which is shaping up to be an awesome machine.

After one very heavy All Types (as usual) and seeing the R32OC stand this gave me the bug to get on the wheel situation and in the end I came to a decision and placed an order for a one off set of custom built split rims. Taking 6 weeks to make these will remain a secret until I manage to get them get them on, sorry

Shortly after placing the order for the wheels it got me thinking about ride height and noticing a few battle scars on the sump, I decided to make another order which arrived from from the US yesterday;

Yes lots of boxes, I was short of boxes. But then they they were filled with these.

Mmm Bilsteins...err they just happened to be part of this kit;

Lots of air goodness! bags are for groceries but then I do take the .:R shopping so

I decided on dual 444C compressors and dual tanks with V2 management and bags, Bilsteins were a nice optional extra. 3/8 lines are going to give me a nice lift and drop speed and I also have got extra parts like drains and water traps to keep the system healthy.
I wanted to keep the anti roll bar on the front so I ordered in some ARB (Sway) brackets from Bag Riders in the US with the rest of the kit.

I sound proofed the boot last weekend so the plan for the rest of this week is build the boot up to fit everything in, quote a bit of planning so I will take my time. Wheels won't arrive for at least 5 weeks anyway!

Hope you enjoyed

·
575 Posts
Nice bit of kit! Looking forward to seeing the new wheels ;-)

Before you go to install and realise, you need modified drop links too for the ARB brackets, but you can cut and realign the originals if you have a welder handy!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Cheers mate, yea I have a welder. What length do they need to be? Does anyone do any to size?

I just realised it was your car I had seen on google images which gave me the idea to go twin 3gal tanks!

Cheers nath

·
575 Posts
I cant remember the exact size, but its roughly 4 - 5" that comes out. Ive got a picture somewhere Ill upload for you :)

The ones in that link would work perfectly, and you only need them for the front. Glad you liked my install, cheers!

·
4,420 Posts
soo jealous!! give me the air ride and ill get you superfast internet, seems a good deal

·
4,420 Posts
deal deal deal!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Managed to get a fair bit further with the air setup.

Lined the boot with Silent Coat sound deadening and 12mm of acoustic foam (silent coat). Cut a 9mm mdf board to the wheel well and carpeted.
Tanks were fitted and compressors temp fitted.

The loom needed a fair bit of rewiring to run the second compressor so lots of hacking ensued and adding new power power cables and relays.

Manifold was mounted nice and high and hidded in the side behind the rear light. All wiring run into the car and tanks connected up, even managed to run the left front pipework through the car to the bay which has saved some worked although bits of my hands remain under the dashboard.

Boot build was completed last night, I layed some framwork which raised the boot floor around 70mm and used laminate flooring with a perspex sheet to show off the tanks, centre mounted the tank gauges and used sub port over the compressor heads to let the heat out.

Sorry for the crappy Iphone pics.

This weekend I am taking the struts on the front, rear bags and Bilsteins and connecting everything up, I also have adjustable drop links as advised and ARB link brackets.

Fingers crossed I will be done this weekend

·
4,420 Posts
epic, reminds me of a boat

Reactions: alexmac

·
575 Posts
Nice install

One other thing to watch is the front xenon sensor - with the range of movement with air, the sensor gets squished so needs to be moved.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Update - Air is now on and fully working!

Rears took ages to get in mainly due to the rear lower spring isolators being rusted badly so one had to be grinded out!

Rear down

All fours

100PSI all round

Instagrammin

Really happy with the whole install, fast lift, quick refill times and worked straight up. I still have a few bit to finish off but other than that the air is done. A big thanks to H5R for some invaluable advice!

Good news the new wheels will finally be shipped out to me this week!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts