VW Golf R32 Forum banner

Basic Wheel Stud Conversion

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  VelovetAndy 
#1 ·
I want to convert to wheel studs instead of wheel bolts. I have searched the forums and have only gotten more confused. What size do I need for a simple, no spacers conversion? I keep seeing conflicting sizes on the internet. 56mm, 57mm, 70mm? Please help.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
If you struggle to balance the wheel on the centre bore while you're screwing the bolts in then you can use a piece of threaded M14 bar screwed loosely into one of the locations to help align the wheel while you put in 4 bolts and then remove it and put in the 5th bolt.

#6 ·
I have the 14x1.5 threaded Rod which was a real help. However, I have gone to studs ,
partly as I have 5mm spacers, partly as the BBS Ch-R wheels have a slightly thicker mounting face than the o. e. wheel , partly because on a track day things can get a bit hot down there and the motorsport nuts come off nice an easily but mainly because it is much easier to remove and fit the wheels, each of which are not light ( or I am a feeble wimp , or both ) .
As for stud length , I am using 75mm studs which would cope with an extra 5mm of spacer . So. Take 10mm off for starter and 65mm will be absolutely fine for your use . They will be generously long so you could afford to come down to 60mm but , in my view, no less .

#9 ·
Ah.Just had a look at your wheel bolt covers. Essentially you do not want the end of the stud to protrude beyond the depth of the nut , so the studs from Darkside will not work . However, there are lots of other options that do not feature the plain shank lead-in. I have just done a quick check on some spare studs and nuts that I have and I think that 60mm total length will be just about ideal. For the stud, a shoulder is better that just a portion of the stud that is not threaded , as the former allows the portion of rhe stud that locates in the bearing to properly seat into the bearing face . The latter just binds up on the bearing thread when the stud thread runs out . Anyway , enough of the anally retentive stuff. 60mm decent quality and you should be fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.