VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
.:R32OC R-Fest Events Co-ordinater/Organiser
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard these give excellent gains on the MKV so was wondering where is the best place to buy? and more importantly is it easy enough to slip in before I drive it out of the showroom? :grin: Will it make much difference to the engine/exhaust noise? :D

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,485 Posts
Excellent gains?! You'd be lucky to get 1 or 2bhp if that.

The BMC filter is just more free flowing, makes things a bit smoother with a bit of added throttle response at higher revs from my experience.

Takes about 5 minutes to install, very easy job.

You can call APS up and get them to send you one?

http://www.autops.co.uk

·
5,616 Posts
Ed still has one on order for me, looking at 3-4 weeks before they arrive tho...

·
281 Posts
Try the TT Shop, got one for my Mkiv for a good price and only took a few days straight from the supplier.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've just bought an ITG pro-filter from merlin motorsport. A little more expensive than a BMC but in my experience, better longevity, gains, noise than other filters I've used (K+N, BMC) and lifetime guarantee. It also never needs cleaning.

·
5,616 Posts
Interesting, I was just reading a post on another forum and a member was recommending an ITG filter for the GTI... might have to look into these myself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, BMC are by no means bad, but I think ITG are regarded as the very best. Hence why I guess they are used by a lot of race teams from F1 to BTCC, to GT.

I guess if one wants the most gains, the CAI route is best. I personally don't want any of the warranty issues that may come with a CAI so this was the next best thing.

·
5,616 Posts
Just ordered an ITG filter for £51 (MkIV) from motorsportworld.co.uk :D

·
1,485 Posts
I may also go for an ITG filter for the MkV (If I don't get a gruppe M) so mine may well be for sale soon..

·
1,485 Posts
Out of interest, why are ITG filters rated so highly?

Surely a panel filter can only be so good?

·
Registered
98 Posts
EdHoskins said:
Out of interest, why are ITG filters rated so highly?

Surely a panel filter can only be so good?
I think it is to do with their exceptionally long-term filtering efficiency. They seem to go on forever without a hint of drop in performance even when very dirty. Maclaren also use them on road and race cars.

·
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So has anyone got any opinions after having an ITG fitted? ;)

I've been led to believe that our cars didn't like Oily filters like the BMC and K&N due to the MAF sensor. IS the ITG any different in that respect?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nelson_R32 said:
So has anyone got any opinions after having an ITG fitted? ;)

I've been led to believe that our cars didn't like Oily filters like the BMC and K&N due to the MAF sensor. IS the ITG any different in that respect?
Hi Nelson,

So far, the ITG I fitted has been superb. Even prior to the remap the car felt slightly less strained when revving. The induction noise changed character slightly too (slightly louder). The design is superb and you can see how it allows much better flow than the stock filter.

The ITG is completely MAF friendly which is one of the other reasons I went for it.

·
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the Credit Cards taking another hammering :)

The cars only 8 days old and i'm already changing it!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.